Paul draws backlash to comments about poverty

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul says the poor in America are "enormously better off than the rest of the world," citing an old Cold War film that showed even impoverished homes had color televisions.

Paul draws backlash to comments about poverty - Politics - msnbc.com

And this is AFTER Mitch McConnell schooled him on how to be a "real politician"?? McConnell schooled Angle as well, and just look at her recent comments. I am almost thinking these two Tea Baggers were better off BEFORE they got Mitch's "help"....

Paul went on to say that "the poor in our country are enormously better off than the rest of the world. It doesn't mean we can't do better. But we have to acknowledge and be proud of our system of capitalism."

As much as I dislike Rand Paul and his politics...I agree with him

Being poor in the US in no way compares to being poor in most of the world. A poor family in the US would be considered wealthy in Haiti, most of Africa, China or India. The safety net in the US provides a basic standard of living that exceed that in much of the world

However, it does not mean we do not need to do anything to help the poor in the US

Last edited:
Paul went on to say that "the poor in our country are enormously better off than the rest of the world. It doesn't mean we can't do better. But we have to acknowledge and be proud of our system of capitalism."

Being poor in the US in no way compares to being poor in most of the world. A poor family in the US would be considered wealthy in Haiti, most of Africa, China or India. The safety net in the US provides a basic standard of living that exceed that in much of the world

However, it does not mean we do not need to do anything to help the poor in the US

Just as an FYI....we are not in Haiti. And according to these cons, the US is the richest country in the world. Remember?

You're on the right track at first... and then you go all entitlement junkie...

Our poor are indeed better off than many people in this world.... And it is nice to help of your own free will, to give a VOLUNTARY leg up to those who could use it... but in no way should there be any sort of shit that we see in our current entitlement junkie welfare nanny state

our poor are better off than many middle class in Europe.
30,000 died in heat wave in the late 90's, AC is not widespread in Europe.

Our poor are indeed better off than many people in this world.... And it is nice to help of your own free will, to give a VOLUNTARY leg up to those who could use it... but in no way should there be any sort of shit that we see in our current entitlement junkie welfare nanny state

As even Rand Paul could tell you, there are people living in regions of Kentucky in abject poverty. Not third world poverty but poverty nonetheless. We are the richest nation on earth, ther is no reason for us to not provide a basic safety net for all Americans whether the conservatives think they "deserve" it or not

As even Rand Paul could tell you, there are people living in regions of Kentucky in abject poverty. Not third world poverty but poverty nonetheless. We are the richest nation on earth, ther is no reason for us to not provide a basic safety net for all Americans whether the conservatives think they "deserve" it or not

yes there is... it is the little concept of the freedom to fail that goes hand in hand with the freedom to succeed....

As stated SO many motherfucking times... I am all for VOLUNTARILY giving of yourself, your earnings, etc... but not some nanny state government entity feeling generous with the collected monies of others... government is not in existence to take over your personal responsibilities for you... your financial condition, your hunger, your wants, your needs, are ALL YOUR responsibility.. not anyone else's including the government

The Poor in America are better off than the poor in the rest of the world. How is this even disputable?

How many poor in the rest of the world can by flat screen tvs and having chrome rims for their nice looking cars?

Seriously, you are going to backlash against Rand for this???

Oh, and Hopefully any training as a "real politician" has failed because we have far too many of those. And they suck.

yes there is... it is the little concept of the freedom to fail that goes hand in hand with the freedom to succeed....

As stated SO many motherfucking times... I am all for VOLUNTARILY giving of yourself, your earnings, etc... but not some nanny state government entity feeling generous with the collected monies of others... government is not in existence to take over your personal responsibilities for you... your financial condition, your hunger, your wants, your needs, are ALL YOUR responsibility.. not anyone else's including the government

What is the end result of your "freedom to fail" agenda ?

- People going door to door begging for food
- Starving children in the streets
- Poor people with rampant disease
- People sleeping in doorways and allys in every city in America
- Rampant crime

Some people in America deserve their lot in life. They have made poor life decisions. They have poor work ethics and poor values. How do you want to punish them? let them starve?
I still don't want to have to stumble over them as I walk down the street. We are the wealthiest nation on earth...we can provide a safety net of services

How many poor in the rest of the world can by flat screen tvs and having chrome rims for their nice looking cars?

Someone else selling the right wing myth that poor people drive Escalades

What gets me is how democrats act all green yet they hand money to the poor to cause them to consume more in inefficient ways. A rich person can only consume so much no matter how many billions he has, plus he can afford the most efficient renewable transportation & appliances. . All the poor can kill the planet if given a constant supply of money.

How is he wrong? I was in line at the grocery store and saw a women buying about $150-200 of groceries on food stamps, while talking on her Iphone.

Something is wrong with that!
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul says the poor in America are "enormously better off than the rest of the world," citing an old Cold War film that showed even impoverished homes had color televisions.

Paul draws backlash to comments about poverty - Politics - msnbc.com

And this is AFTER Mitch McConnell schooled him on how to be a "real politician"?? McConnell schooled Angle as well, and just look at her recent comments. I am almost thinking these two Tea Baggers were better off BEFORE they got Mitch's "help"....

Last edited:
How is he wrong? I was in lie at the grocery store and saw a fat bitch buying about $150-200 of groceries on food stamps, while talking on her Iphone.

Freudian slip?

Please explain, how can you tell when someone is paying with food stamps? You must be peering over their shoulder to look at her card...since food stamp cards look just like debit cards.

:eusa_eh:

- Rampant crime

Some people in America deserve their lot in life. They have made poor life decisions. They have poor work ethics and poor values. How do you want to punish them? let them starve?
I still don't want to have to stumble over them as I walk down the street. We are the wealthiest nation on earth...we can provide a safety net of services

You do not get only positives in life, pollyanna.... when you are given the freedom to succeed, you inherently must also take the freedom to fail... you take away the freedom to fail, you also inherently take away the freedom to succeed.... You and those like you (entitlement junkies, ones generous with money as long as it is not their own) think you can use your feel good agenda to make the government the all powerful nanny with the right to confiscate from those you don't like or that you think has 'more than enough'

What happens from people being held accountable for their actions, their decisions, their own situations, etc?? Who knows.. what we do know is that the entitlement junkie giveaway mantra does not eliminate crime, or starving children, or anything else... what it does eliminate is the core personal freedoms that this country was set up on

Again.... nobody is saying that you cannot help the underprivileged, or I cannot, or Joe Blow in Tupelo can't... you can give til you can't give any more... of your own VOLUNTARY will, which is the key if we are indeed a society based on freedoms

We CAN nuke Bolivia too... just because we CAN do something as a government, does not mean it SHOULD be done

You ain't owed shit.. the crack heads ain't owed shit... the bad decision poor ain't owed shit... nobody is owed a goddamn thing for their own personal wants, needs, or upkeep

How is he wrong? I was in lie at the grocery store and saw a fat bitch buying about $150-200 of groceries on food stamps, while talking on her Iphone.

Freudian slip?

Please explain, how can you tell when someone is paying with food stamps? You must be peering over their shoulder to look at her card...since food stamp cards look just like debit cards.

:eusa_eh:

You Lie! They look different. I have stood by a row of registers waiting for my wife. I looked around & everyone was using those cards except us. I noted we were the only ones paying cash.

20070220_ebtcard_2.jpg

- Rampant crime

You do not get only positives in life, pollyanna.... when you are given the freedom to succeed, you inherently must also take the freedom to fail... you take away the freedom to fail, you also inherently take away the freedom to succeed.... You and those like you (entitlement junkies, ones generous with money as long as it is not their own) think you can use your feel good agenda to make the government the all powerful nanny with the right to confiscate from those you don't like or that you think has 'more than enough'

What happens from people being held accountable for their actions, their decisions, their own situations, etc?? Who knows.. what we do know is that the entitlement junkie giveaway mantra does not eliminate crime, or starving children, or anything else... what it does eliminate is the core personal freedoms that this country was set up on

Again.... nobody is saying that you cannot help the underprivileged, or I cannot, or Joe Blow in Tupelo can't... you can give til you can't give any more... of your own VOLUNTARY will, which is the key if we are indeed a society based on freedoms

We CAN nuke Bolivia too... just because we CAN do something as a government, does not mean it SHOULD be done

You ain't owed shit.. the crack heads ain't owed shit... the bad decision poor ain't owed shit... nobody is owed a goddamn thing for their own personal wants, needs, or upkeep

Once again you ducked the quesion. It is quite simple

What do we do with people who have failed?

Do you want them knocking on your door begging for food? Do you want them going through your garbage cans?
Do you want someone with a severe disease or untreated injury begging you to help them?

Once again you ducked the quesion. It is quite simple

What do we do with people who have failed?

Do you want them knocking on your door begging for food? Do you want them going through your garbage cans?
Do you want someone with a severe disease or untreated injury begging you to help them?

Help them up to try again.

Forum List

Back