Patriot Act wire taps vs. TSA search guidlines

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Jeremy, Nov 22, 2010.

?

Do you agree with the NSA & TSA search methods?

1. I support both

9.1%
  2. I oppose both

72.7%
  3. Other/They are different - I will explain.

18.2%
  1. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    -poll coming.

Do you consider these searches to be "reasonable" under the 4th amendment? Do you oppose both. Or do you view them as different?

A lot of people that support the TSA searches say "If you don't like it, don't fly" , but can't the same be said for the wire tap guidlines under the Patriot Act? If you do not like it, don't use those forms of communication, ie. write a hand written letter instead of using email or telephone.

The way I see it. You either have to agree with both, or oppose both.

2. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    The old Patriot Act mantra was, "if you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about". Of course, those of us against the kneejerk Patriot Act knew things would eventually evolve to where we are today.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,746
    Wiretapping should only be done if there is no other way to catch a criminal in the act.

Searching people boarding commercial flights is the only real way to catch people smuggling bombs on their person.

It's not rocket science.

End the war on terror...save a lot of aggravation and a boatload of money.

:thup:

4. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    :eusa_eh: Seriously?

How can we do that exactly? Have the prez make televised speech and say the "war" is over. Would that diminish the threat from the Islamic extremists?

By your logic all we have to do is say "the war is over" and there would no longer be a need for these security measures?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Tell me, since the TSA came into being.....can you give us one single solitary instance where their actions have ever caught or thwarted a terrorist attack? A dedicated suicide bomber can easily get a bomb past even todays invasive pat downs. Full body scanners and invasive pat downs can not detect a bomb hidden in a body cavity. So, what's next....an anal probing? Israel has kept their airline travel safe for years without pat downs. I wonder how they do that? :eusa_think:

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Both are unconstitutional and gross violations of personal liberty.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I remember exactly the same thing from those who supported the partiot act.
    Primarially the right.
    And I recall a no big deal response from the right about the illegal taps and records releases made by Verixozon and ATT. Which got a legal pardon form bush thru leglislation. Those were even illegal under the patriot act.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,693
    The TSA hasn't been granted Search Warrants by a judge.

9. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Airport security scans are considered under law to be administrative searches that do not require a warrant. Airplanes are jet fueled missiles which can be boarded and potentially hijacked by anybody despite their paper "record", meanwhile the objectionable x-ray scan itself does not reveal anything other than the PHYSICAL person; it does not stand to incriminate a person in the same the way the Patriot Act could.

The Patriot Act was special act of Congress signed into law by President Bush.

"The Act dramatically reduced restrictions on law enforcement agencies' ability to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial, and other records; eased restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States; expanded the Secretary of the Treasury’s authority to regulate financial transactions, particularly those involving foreign individuals and entities; and broadened the discretion of law enforcement and immigration authorities in detaining and deporting immigrants suspected of terrorism-related acts. The act also expanded the definition of terrorism to include domestic terrorism, thus enlarging the number of activities to which the USA PATRIOT Act’s expanded law enforcement powers could be applied." USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,746
    I don't know...they do arrest people with weapons, but I don't know if it is possible for them to know the intent of the people boarding planes with weapons. Here is one example:

TSA: Four Discoveries and Three Arrests in 12 Hours at Tampa

As for the profiling, as I was looking for an answer to your question I found that they do profile, and of course that also raises some civil liberties questions (interesting article):

TSA's 'behavior detection' leads to few arrests - USATODAY.com

If you think Israel doesn't pat down people they suspect of terrorism you aren't very bright.