Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
After I had just gotten done talking about free speech, we have gay rights groups trying to dictate morality and expression to a longstanding company in Italy... sigh.

Gay rights activists in Italy have launched a boycott of the world's leading pasta maker after its chairman said he would only portray the "classic family" in his advertisements and, if people objected to that, they should feel free to eat a different kind of pasta.

Guido Barilla, who controls the fourth-generation Barilla Group family business with his two brothers, sparked outrage among activists, consumers and some politicians when he said he would not consider using a gay family to advertise Barilla pasta.

"For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the basic values of the company," he told Italian radio on Wednesday evening. "I would not do it but not out of a lack of respect for homosexuals who have the right to do what they want without bothering others … [but] I don't see things like they do and I think the family that we speak to is a classic family."

Asked what effect he thought his attitude would have on gay consumers of pasta, Barilla said: "Well, if they like our pasta and our message they will eat it; if they don't like it and they don't like what we say they will … eat another."

In response, Aurelio Mancuso, chairman of Equality Italia, accused Barilla of being deliberately provocative. "Accepting the invitation of Barilla's owner to not eat his pasta, we are launching a boycott campaign against all his products," he added.

Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks | World news | The Guardian

After I had just gotten done talking about free speech, we have gay rights groups trying to dictate morality and expression to a longstanding company in Italy... sigh.

Gay rights activists in Italy have launched a boycott of the world's leading pasta maker after its chairman said he would only portray the "classic family" in his advertisements and, if people objected to that, they should feel free to eat a different kind of pasta.

Guido Barilla, who controls the fourth-generation Barilla Group family business with his two brothers, sparked outrage among activists, consumers and some politicians when he said he would not consider using a gay family to advertise Barilla pasta.

"For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the basic values of the company," he told Italian radio on Wednesday evening. "I would not do it but not out of a lack of respect for homosexuals who have the right to do what they want without bothering others … [but] I don't see things like they do and I think the family that we speak to is a classic family."

Asked what effect he thought his attitude would have on gay consumers of pasta, Barilla said: "Well, if they like our pasta and our message they will eat it; if they don't like it and they don't like what we say they will … eat another."

In response, Aurelio Mancuso, chairman of Equality Italia, accused Barilla of being deliberately provocative. "Accepting the invitation of Barilla's owner to not eat his pasta, we are launching a boycott campaign against all his products," he added.

Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks | World news | The Guardian

Three cheers for Guido!

You haven’t been talking about ‘free speech.’

Restrictions concerning placing limits on free speech apply only to government and public sector law/policy making entities, not private citizens or private groups or organizations.

That gay rights activists in Italy - or anywhere else, for that matter - have advocated a boycott in no way manifests a ‘violation’ of the right of this or any other company to freely express itself.

You again only exhibit your ignorance of the issue.

Guido is exercising his freedom of speech and Aurelio is exercising his.

It's up to you to decide whether to buy the products or not, not some government law dictating expression and morality.

Well good for him for standing up to the kooks

seriously, 3.8% of the pop is gay, bi, trans. It aint gunna hurt the bottom line.

Ya think? This boycott will move to the US and MO is within 3-6 months my local supermarket won't be carrying Barilla any more.

They're dead.

Restrictions concerning placing limits on free speech apply only to government and public sector law/policy making entities, not private citizens or private groups or organizations.

That gay rights activists in Italy - or anywhere else, for that matter - have advocated a boycott in no way manifests a ‘violation’ of the right of this or any other company to freely express itself.

Its not censorship, but it is a bunch of people being intolerant whiny bitches.

Everyone needs to man up, even women.

Its not censorship, but it is a bunch of people being intolerant whiny bitches.

Everyone needs to man up, even women.

I suggest if you have Barilla stock, dump it now.

I reckon this will actually boost their sales. A clever ploy to position themselves as the 'traditional Italian pasta' - a sobriquet that many producers in that industry have tried to claim. He was really using the old noodle there. This might help them elbow out the competition.

I just sent a note to my local market...which is also a national/regional chain.

I wonder how many notes like mine will it take before they dump Barilla?

Lot's of pasta companies out there...

I reckon this will actually boost their sales. A clever ploy to position themselves as the 'traditional Italian pasta' - a sobriquet that many producers in that industry have tried to claim. He was really using the old noodle there. This might help them elbow out the competition.

Yes, national and regional supermarket chains just can't wait to align themselves with homo hating companies aligned with the vatican...

Heheh...

Last edited:
gays are always eating noodles, they don't care what brand they are, so they can eat their hearts out.

Last edited:
I just sent a note to my local market...which is also a national/regional chain.

Hasn't Chick Fil A closed yet?

Most people really don't care about gay outrage. They might buy more Barilla rather than less simply because they are sick and tired of being led around by "outrage of the day".

I make my own sauce but I will buy Barilla pasta from now on.......

Barilla-010.jpg

So the CEO said hey don't like it eat something else. That's what anyone else would do. These folks? Nope. And the gays wonder why people have a problem with them.

Last edited:

Hasn't Chick Fil A closed yet?

Most people really don't care about gay outrage. They might buy more Barilla rather than less simply because they are sick and tired of being led around by "outrage of the day".

CFA is different, they're retail. They can make up the loss of the gay and gay friendly market by having like minded gay haters eat there more often.

Barilla is wholesale. What will a gay hating christian do when they go their local Von's and there is no Barilla on the shelf?

You just don't get this, do you.

It's hilarious. Barilla is dead. All they had to say was they understood the concerns of their customers and would consider those concerns in future marketing campaigns. Instead they run and start humping the leg of jebus...for all the world to see.

As I said, if you got Barilla stock, dump it now, and I mean in the next 12 hours.

I make my own sauce but I will buy Barilla pasta from now on.......

Barilla-010.jpg

Where you going to buy it from? Amazon?

if I have to, I already buy blood orange juice and snowballs off amazon, *shrugs*

Forum List

Back