Parents Of Aurora Shooting Victim Sue Ammo Sellers

I hope this lawsuit gets laughed out of the courtroom.

They have the right to sue anyone they want..

But it will not get them anything... This is the same as suing Firestone because of a drunk driver.

They have the right to sue anyone they want..

But it will not get them anything... This is the same as suing Firestone because of a drunk driver.

Or suing Miller Light for being hit by a drunk driver.

My heart weeps for the family and friends that were affected by the actions of that monster but this lawsuit is terribly misguided and a waste of the court's time.

Last edited:
If a precedent is set, folks will be able to sue automobile makers for victims of drunk drivers.

In other words, a precedent will not be set.

If a precedent is set, folks will be able to sue automobile makers for victims of drunk drivers.

In other words, a precedent will not be set.

Actually it would be closer to being able to sue the Auto Dealer rather than the Auto maker.

I hope this lawsuit gets laughed out of the courtroom.

With a nice counter-suit for harassment...say, $100,000,000 in punitive damages.

That would be a nightmare from a PR standpoint. The families are grieving and are making some hasty decisions. I hope never to experience such heart ache but they are searching for a reason to this senseless crime and have done so foolishly with this case. This monster and his metal illness are to blame. No one else.

Unless it was illegal for the company to sell the stuff they did I'm not sure what the grounds for the suit are if I remember right Holms had no criminal record or history of violence before the shooting so any background check would not have raised any red flags.

Not having read enough about how this will transpire it will be interesting to discover how it will all work out.
And maybe even more interesting is to watch who starts to side with the two parties.
How far can it be taken legally and Constitutionally.
Parents of Aurora shooting victim sue ammo sellers - CNN.com
This is a civil suit, making no challenges to the right of individuals to possess firearms or business entities to sell ammunition:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/sites/default/files/PhillipsvsLuckyGunner.pdf

Consequently there are no Constitutional implications.

Otherwise, the suit is devoid of merit, as there was no way for the defendants to know what their customers might do with their products, nor is it reasonable to expect business to 'screen' potential customers, as such 'screening' is unwarranted and burdensome.

Not having read enough about how this will transpire it will be interesting to discover how it will all work out.
And maybe even more interesting is to watch who starts to side with the two parties.
How far can it be taken legally and Constitutionally.
Parents of Aurora shooting victim sue ammo sellers - CNN.com

it will get tossed out as many other lawsuits against firearm makers has

Justices Decline New York Gun Suit

WASHINGTON — New York City’s nine-year lawsuit accusing gun makers of flooding illicit markets with their firearms came to an end on Monday, when the United States Supreme Court refused to consider a lower court’s dismissal of the case.

Without comment, the justices decided not to review a ruling by a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which declared on April 30 that federal law protected the manufacturers from such suits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/washington/10guns.html

This is an asinine lawsuit that should get tossed, I feel bad for the parents or anyone that lost loved ones in this tragedy but this is just retarded. The only blame for this is the idiot who pulled the trigger.

This quote from the link in the OP really shows how stupid this is
Two years ago when our daughter Jessica was murdered, and we first heard the details of the massacre, I asked my husband: 'How can anyone order over 4,000 rounds of ammunition without raising any red flags? Why weren't any questions asked of the person who bought all of this ammunition?" said Sandy Phillips.

Why should I have to answer any questions when I buy ammo in bulk? Running across great deals and buying in those numbers is not rare. For many of us that spend a lot of time shooting its not uncommon to go to the range with family/friends and go through high numbers of ammo in a day

Ambulance chasers are some of the worst society has to offer.

They've been bad for a long time, but now they're doing these teevee ads where they're fishing for victim business. "If you or a loved one has been harmed by this", "if you or a loved one has been harmed by that".

It's legal, but man, slimey.

Of course, they're lawyers, so....

Forum List

Back