Parade's End:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I recorded the five episode series, watched it three times and can't bring myself to erase it. I know I'll watch it again. Anyone else seen it?

The setting is Edwardian England -- a favorite time and place diversion for me. The sets and costumes are typically excellent. The cast and acting are exceptional. The basic plot is a comically complicated but engrossing love story that spreads itself over an expanse of time, a broad range of characters, and some very unusual but entertaining situations.

Overall, a quality production and well worth watching.

Sounds interesting.

I'll watch it online if I can find it on Netflicks.

Have you see House of Cards?

both the BBC version and the Netflicks version are on NF.

Definitely both are worthy of your time.

Never seen it. But I'm noticing a theme here, Mike. If you're interested, and have an all-region DVD player, I recommend The House of Eliott. It's a BBC series (1991-94) following the trials and tribulations of two sisters who set-up a fashion house that caters to Edwardian nobility and high society. Like you, my mother-in-law is fascinated by this period. She followed my advice and got herself a copy shipped to the U.S. Suffice to say that it satisfied her expectations and the boxset has been passed around the western side of N. Carolina among her friends and extended family to much acclaim.

And I second Editec's recommendation of the BBC's House of Cards trilogy with Ian Richardson.

I loved it! Benedict Cumberbatch was wonderful as Tietjens. The script is intelligent...which makes such a difference to the quality of a film or series.

Forum List

Back