Palin tried to ban books

speaking of going down, i'm waiting for you to go down to your local contractor and get those solar shingles installed along with that wind turbine. when you do, i do. still waiting for you to walk the walk mr. kirk.

The IRS and my girlfriend's medical treatments come first.

Thanks for thinking about me, though.

Here's one. Emmons is the librarian. She *was* fired, and this report shows that she got her job back, by deciding to support Palin after all.

I suggest you read the article. And, I'm sure there's more in the results tab. I'll keep looking.

I read the article, it said:

"Palin said she asked Emmons if she would support efforts to merge the library and museum operations. Emmons said she would, according to Palin."

Not a word about banning books.

It was within here purview to fire both the librarian and the Head of Public Safety, they served at her discretion.

That is not an abuse of power, that IS her power as executive.

Last edited:
Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us/politics/03wasilla.html?em

The book banning was in the Time article. The 1997 article was the first that came up and points to her style of governing. Various sources cite her strong religiosity as a governing principle, to the point of banning books deemed religiously offensive, and firing the librarian if she does not support her.

You could call her a reformer, or you could call her a really bad idea.

Here's another article from 1996:

The newly elected mayor of Wasilla has asked all of the city's top managers to resign in order to test their loyalty to her administration

ADNSearch.com | Search Results

If that's old news I apologize I really haven't followed the mudslinging but book banning gets my hackles up. Forced religion does too.

At this point I am in the news archive search and there is a fee to retrieve the full article, I have no doubt this stuff will be handled in MSM tomorrow.

I'll keep looking, this is like the fourth installment on the Lifetime network of "Sarah Palin: A woman is who is too big for one small Alaskan village."

Last edited:
It was within here purview to fire both the librarian and the Head of Public Safety, they served at her discretion.

That is not an abuse of power, that IS her power as executive.

OK. And your responsibility as a voter is to (preferably research and) decide if her style of governance is appropriate for our country.

It is bizarre to say the least to ask the entire slate of city managers to "resign to demonstrate loyalty."

Last edited:
you don't make 20k a month then. your welcome by the way.

sorry to change topics of this thread.

You really don't know much about being a realtor. Sometimes you go months without pay. Thanks for your support though.

OK. And your responsibility as a voter is to (preferably research and) decide if her style of governance is appropriate for our country.

It is bizarre to say the least to ask the entire slate of city managers to "resign to demonstrate loyalty."

Sounds like Nazi Germany!

This woman is a freak!

Mind if I tack one on?

Now, I don't mind this next story, because I don't particularly mind Jeremiah Wright. As stated elsewhere. Pastors are crazy people, and so I don't give their silliness too much thought. But it seems only balanced to inform that Sarah has a crazy pastor too named Ed Kalnins.

Kalnins has preached that critics of Bush will be banished to Hell, questioned if people who voted for Sen. John Kerry in 2004 would be accepted to Heaven, charged that the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Iraq were part of a war "contending for your faith;" and that Jesus "operated from that position of war mode."

During the 2004 election, Kalnins praised Bush's performance in debate with Sen. John Kerry, then offered a not-so-subtle message about his own preference: "I'm not going tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for this particular person, I question your salvation. I'm sorry." Kalnins said. "If every Christian will vote righteously, it would be a landslide every time."

Kalnins later bristled at the criticism Bush was facing for the government's handling of Hurricane Katrina: "I hate criticisms towards the president, because it's like criticisms towards the pastor -- it's almost like, it's not going to get you anywhere, you know, except for hell. That's what it'll get you."

In other words, not God Damn America, just God Damn Democrats.

Palin's past pastor: Bush-foes Hell-bound: The Swamp

Just to back up my point, I remember when President Clinton fired every single U.S. Attorney (93 of them) without rhyme-nor-reason. It was within his executive authority to do so, just as it was within Palin's.

Last edited:
The abuse of power thing goes back to Wasilla. Now she stepped in sh*t and has to hire a lawyer. She's going down.

Well, I guess we all know who the left is going after when McCain wins. The Bush hatred syndrome will be transfered to Gov. Palin.

Mind if I tack one on?

Now, I don't mind this next story, because I don't particularly mind Jeremiah Wright. As stated elsewhere. Pastors are crazy people, and so I don't give their silliness too much thought. But it seems only balanced to inform that Sarah has a crazy pastor too named Ed Kalnins.
[/url]

so you agree with black liberation theology? or did you just turn a blind eye and have no idea what mr. wright stands for?

A March 13 McClatchy Newspapers article -- headlined "Current situation is distinct from Clinton firings of U.S. attorneys" -- further noted that "[m]ass firings of U.S. attorneys are fairly common when a new president takes office, but not in a second-term administration." The article added that "Justice Department officials acknowledged it would be unusual for the president to oust his own appointees."

I agree it was in her purview, and suggest that it gives insight into the workings of her mind. I suggested that the events (calls for book banning, firing, etc), along with demands for resignation as a show of loyalty from city staff, be filed wherever anyone deems appropriate in their decision making process for this election.

so you agree with black liberation theology? or did you just turn a blind eye and have no idea what mr. wright stands for?

I wrote about this on another thread, you can probably find it and tackle it if you feel so inclined.

What do you think about the God Damn Democrats remarks of pastor Kalnin? Me, I think it's all silliness. How about you?

Well, I guess we all know who the left is going after when McCain wins. The Bush hatred syndrome will be transfered to Gov. Palin.

The left thought Bush was a bad idea.

Now 72% of the country disapprove of Bush.

The left thinks Palin is a bad idea.

I agree it was in her purview, and suggest that it gives insight into the workings of her mind. I suggested that the events (calls for book banning, firing, etc), along with demands for resignation as a show of loyalty from city staff, be filed wherever anyone deems appropriate in their decision making process for this election.

I respectfully submit that the insinuation of "book banning" was a hearsay comment from one of Palin's political rivals as quoted by the Time article. The librarian didn't comment.

And in the article you submitted, the disagreement was over a merger of the museum and the library, not banning books.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back