Palin tried to ban books

I wrote about this on another thread, you can probably find it and tackle it if you feel so inclined.

What do you think about the God Damn Democrats remarks of pastor Kalnin? Me, I think it's all silliness. How about you?

i'd rather hear "god damn demos/rebups/indes" then "god damn america".

I respectfully submit that the insinuation of "book banning" was a hearsay comment from one of Palin's political rivals as quoted by the Time article. The librarian didn't comment.

And in the article you submitted, the disagreement was over a merger of the museum and the library, not banning books.

Agreed. There was at least one independent article mentioning another Wasilla resident who substantiated the story. It wasn't very meaty but I'll look for it again.

Edit: I can't find it again. Anyway, I'm sure it will be on the news.

Last edited:
I respectfully submit that the insinuation of "book banning" was a hearsay comment from one of Palin's political rivals as quoted by the Time article. The librarian didn't comment.

And in the article you submitted, the disagreement was over a merger of the museum and the library, not banning books.

Nice try, but Palin admitted it herself if you read what I posted.

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us...asilla.html?em

Nice try, but Palin admitted it herself if you read what I posted.

Sorry Kirk, I tend to only skim your posts. Don't take this the wrong way, I admire your commitment to your ideology, but you posts are a little too dogmatic for me.

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us...asilla.html?em

Your link doesn't work.

Ah, it was Ms. Kilkenny. Thanks Kirk. I didn't think to look in this thread for the name.

Your link doesn't work.

While I'm sure "Ms. Kilkenny's" word is beyond reproach, I feel the NY Times does journalism a disservice by not requesting the minutes from the council meeting and not including the entire Frontiersman quote from Palin instead of just the word "rhetorical".

But we all know the word of the NY Times is also beyond reproach. ;)

Last edited:
All I can find so far is that Palin said “Many issues were discussed, both rhetorical and realistic in nature.” I'd like to see the whole article.

Last edited:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us/politics/03wasilla.html?em
so, she never actually banned or even attempted to ban any books

thus you are a complete moron

Barack Obama voted against funding our troops. What's worse? Banning books, or killing soldiers?

you claim you're an independent but EVERYTHING you say scream right wing conservative apologist. How do you reconcile that js?

I'd get it if you were outraged by the information coming out about Palin or even just a bit miffed but said, well you know, it sucks that I'm stuck with voting for her if I want to vote for McCain but that's how it is.

Instead you brush off EVERY bit of shady information that has been revealed about her like you don't understand why anyone would care about this stuff.

That's not anything like the independents I know. They hate extremists on BOTH sides.

Divecon is right, she never banned any books. She never tried to ban any books. All we have is good old "Ms. Kilkenny's" recollection that removing a book was discussed. Not what book specifically just a vague "some books that were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her." For all we know, Palin was talking about removing The Anarchist Cookbook. Include the minutes of the meeting, it's the law, they're not hard to get your hands on. These "news stories" are pretty slim on fact and are fat on supposition, hearsay and inuendo.

Divecon is right, she never banned any books. She never tried to ban any books. All we have is good old "Ms. Kilkenny's" recollection that removing a book was discussed.

No, Kilkenny is one independent source here. There are multiple sources that she wanted to ban the books.

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Palin's first year in office, said Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at a council meeting. "They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her," Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to "resist all efforts at censorship," Kilkenny recalled.

The mayor fired Emmons shortly after taking office but rescinded the termination after residents made a strong show of support. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from the library some books that Sarah wanted removed.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

She wanted to ban books, the librarian resisted, and she fired the librarian.

No one said she banned the books, she wanted to ban the books and fired the librarian. It's a little nuts.

Last edited:
Oh what news.. more hearsay complaints from the libtroll#2

A prior political rival with undocumented and unproven allegations about a typical liberal talking point...

We condemn me too because I fought with the school system about having certain reading materials taken out of middle school libraries.. .No.. Not Huck Finn or 1984.... but things with high sexual content and language issues such as Cosmo magazine and various books with the f-bomb all over the place in them.... hmmm, if the teachers are reprimanded for sexual talk to the students and use of the f-bomb, it probably also should not be readily available in a book in the middle school library... sometimes, in terms of children, it is wise to use censorship

What next??? Kirk starts posting the photoshopped pics of Palin as more 'proof' of some evil republican conspiracy??

Last edited:

Forum List

Back