Palin thinks the VP runs the Senate

So you don't think that the Executive Branch can broaden a Constitutional power?

I think they COULD, I don't think it would be right. I think I would view that as an abuse of their authority and power and competely against what the Constitution was intended for.

If the Executive Branch can just "decide" what authority they have, what is the point of the Constittution Crimson?

I think they COULD, I don't think it would be right. I think I would view that as an abuse of their authority and power and competely against what the Constitution was intended for.

If the Executive Branch can just "decide" what authority they have, what is the point of the Constittution Crimson?

Ask Lincoln and FDR that question.

Actually, she is wrong. The only person who tried to pretend that the VP was "legislative" was Cheney. Biden was right that it was full of bull then and full of bull now.

So you don't think that under the right circumstances that the Executive branch could not broaden this power?

Easier question. Do you think Palin's response might have been a watered down answer for the third grader taht asked the question?

So you don't think that under the right circumstances that the Executive branch could not broaden this power?

Easier question. Do you think Palin's response might have been a watered down answer for the third grader taht asked the question?

Actually, they're both pretty easy responses. lol... at least insofar as giving you my opinion. (and I might be convinced to change my mind. you never know).

1. The Constitution is very specific about separation of powers and checks and balances. The VP has only ONE role to play legislatively and that is to vote in the event of a tie. Any further powers would upset the balance and checks specifically intended by the document.

2. No. I heard what Palin said at the debate. It actually turned my stomach and I've been calling her Cheney in lipstick ever since... (except for the part that Cheney's smart). And given everything we already know about Palin abusing her power, I have no doubt that she would continue to erode the constitution.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :tongue:

Actually, they're both pretty easy responses. lol... at least insofar as giving you my opinion. (and I might be convinced to change my mind. you never know).

1. The Constitution is very specific about separation of powers and checks and balances. The VP has only ONE role to play legislatively and that is to vote in the event of a tie. Any further powers would upset the balance and checks specifically intended by the document.

2. No. I heard what Palin said at the debate. It actually turned my stomach and I've been calling her Cheney in lipstick ever since... (except for the part that Cheney's smart). And given everything we already know about Palin abusing her power, I have no doubt that she would continue to erode the constitution.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :tongue:

Article I Section 3 outlines two specific powers.

1. President of the Senate

2. Tiebreaker vote

When somebody, shows me a Consitutional definition that says President of the Senate is merely a figurehead, then i would be more than willing to change my mind. I won't hold my breath.

Ask Lincoln and FDR that question.

were those actions taken in times of crisis or war?

To unilaterally decide "hey today I'm gonna be in charge of the Senate" is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

When somebody, shows me a Consitutional definition that says President of the Senate is merely a figurehead, then i would be more than willing to change my mind. I won't hold my breath.

so you're playing semantics Crimson. Because the title is "president" it means that the VP has some invisible authority that has never before in our nations history been exercised?

Palin, this summer, wasn't even sure what the VP did for cripe sake. It's no wonder she thinks she gets to be in charge.

Last edited:
first cheney says the vp is not in the executive branch....someone needs to make up their mind....can she really get the job when she has no clue what that job is...

2. Tiebreaker vote

Does the VP sit on any committee in the Senate?
Does the VP sponsor legislation?
Does the VP hold hearings in the Senate?
Does the VP's position in the Senate change depending on which party has a majority?
Does the VP call a vote?
Does the VP preside over the Senate in terms of determining what matters come to the floor?

I say no on all of those.

VP = Ceremonial Role with respect to the Senate... except in the event of a tie.

2. Tiebreaker vote

Ok, for the third time I'm going to ask you exactly what powers are outlined by:

1. President of the Senate?

Do you have an answer?

2. Tiebreaker vote

according to the constitution, the senate is to make their own rules and procedures to abide by or to govern them....according to the senate, in their rules, there is no job for the president of the senate, other than breaking a tie.

btw, is there a vp of the senate? does the president of the senate get to pick a cabinet? :)

what does president of the senate mean to you or the word president, in this situation?

care

Last edited:
Is a commitee member a constitutional position?
Is this a constitutional power?
Is every comittee chairpeson in charge of teh entire Senate?
Does the VP's position in the Senate change depending on which party has a majority?
Doesn't have to. That is why the Framers made the position.
Does the VP call a vote?
The presiding officer calls the vote. Guess who has that constituional power? You guessed it, the President of the Senate. Again, practice overConstituionality.
Does the VP preside over the Senate in terms of determining what matters come to the floor?
Again, It isn't practiced, but that doesn't make it any less plausible.

VP = Ceremonial Role with respect to the Senate... except in the event of a tie
Which article is that in.

Hey CrimsonHonky,

I hereby rescind my previous point of concession. The VP is not "in charge" of the Senate no matter how you want to spin it. If you can answer the question I've now asked you three times, I might reconsider. But not likely, since I'm pretty sure I'm right. :)

Is a commitee member a constitutional position?
Is this a constitutional power?
Is every comittee chairpeson in charge of teh entire Senate?
Doesn't have to. That is why the Framers made the position.
Does the VP call a vote?
The presiding officer calls the vote. Guess who has that constituional power? You guessed it, the President of the Senate. Again, practice overConstituionality.
Again, It isn't practiced, but that doesn't make it any less plausible.

VP = Ceremonial Role with respect to the Senate... except in the event of a tie
Which article is that in.

So you think that if the tasks aren't specified in the Constitution she can do what she wants?

I think you're funnin' me.

So you think that if the tasks aren't specified in the Constitution she can do what she wants?

I think you're funnin' me.

:lol: I think he's funnin us all jillian. Crimson can't actually believe that the VP can just do whatever he/she wants simply because it's not specified in the Constitution that they CAN'T.

I think it's funny that someone who can "read into" the duties of the VP can't do the same when it comes to PRIVACY.

:lol:

Forum List

Back