Palin Pre-Empts State Report, Clears Self in Probe

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
What the fuck? How do you clear yourself? This is hinky.

Trying to head off a potentially embarrassing state ethics report on GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report Thursday that clears her of any wrongdoing.

Sen. John McCain's running mate is the subject of a legislative investigation into whether she abused her power as governor by firing her public safety commissioner. The commissioner, Walter Monegan, says he was dismissed in July for resisting pressure from Palin's husband, Todd Palin, and numerous top aides to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, Palin's former brother-in-law.

Lawmakers are expected to release their own findings Friday. Campaign officials have yet to see that report — the result of an investigation that began before she was tapped as McCain's running mate — but said the investigation has falsely portrayed a legitimate policy dispute between a governor and her commissioner as something inappropriate.

ABC News: Palin Pre-Empts State Report, Clears Self in Probe

This is hinky.

Good expression. I've been following this thing but hadn't read that piece. Apparently, after the investigation got into full swing, Palin tried to make the case that it was an illegal investigation and only the Alaska State Personnel Board could investigate the issue. That was nice attempt since it would probably be in her favor to have members of a board which she has the authority to fire investigate whether or not she improperly used her authority to have someone fired. Didn't we just have 8 years of this sort of corrupt way of doing things? When that plan failed, the RNC jumped in. They tried to have to investigation halted claiming it was being influenced by partisan politics. To which the investigators filed a complaint that the RNC complaint was frivilous and that combined with suspicions that people working on behalf of the McCain campaign had convinced 8 people who were going to testify after receiving subpoenas to ignore the subpoenas and not testify- all of this was tantamount to obstruction of justice. A judge ruled to allow the investigation to continue, stating that appearance of impropriety was not evidence and that the legislature had every right to investigate the firing, since apparently they had approved his hiring. (The partisan influence thing probably wasn't helped by the fact that the investigative committee has I believe 10 republicans and 6 democrats).

All of this in an investigation with which Palin said she would cooperate. This bugs me way more than "associates". Abuse of power is a serious charge in my opinion. Especially when considering whether to possibly give that person more power. It's strange that this hasn't gotten more media play, since depending on the results, it could have far reaching consequences.

Well looks like the whole "Liberal conspiracy" of her not following the rules wasn't so crazy after all. :eusa_whistle:

*Grabs the popcorn to see the Right wing spin this one all day.* :popcorn:

It's strange that this hasn't gotten more media play, since depending on the results, it could have far reaching consequences.

I blame the lack of coverage on that liberal media the Republican whine about all the time.

Not even Bill Clinton did that during his impeachmeant hearings. The mere fact that they realeased their own report before the real report comes out (quite a maverick move, I must say!) just shows me that the real report is going to show something very bad for Palin.

My response?

:lol: :badgrin:

In the words of Nelson from the Simpsons: HA HA!

The report is due out today. Don't expect too much. Most of the witnesses, including Palin's husband, refused to testify despite having been given subpoenas. Does a subpoena actually mean anything any more. If I ever get a subpoena, I think I'm going to say no, don't want to. Let's see what happens to me. Then we'll know if there is two Americas. I'm not talking reds and blues here.

Not sure but a subpoena is usually just an order to front up. In the States you can claim the fifth and not be required to give evidence to incriminate yourself.

Our lawyers can enlarge on that of course.

But in my experience people with nothing to hide won't take shelter behind the rule against self-incrimination. By a twisted form of logic if you know there's nothing there that can incriminate you then you wouldn't seek shelter from it would you?

This reeks, this stinks to the stratosphere. But the Palindrones will continue to kiss her arse.

Sure, you can take the fifth. A surprising number of Americans know they can take the fifth. (Not as many actually knows what it means, but they've heard it on T.V. and in movies). But a "Joe Sixpack" like me who receives a subpoena had better damn sure show up and plead the 5th. These people did not even show up. Sort of like all the people involved in the Attorney General firings that just refused to appear before congress, some claiming executive privilege. Executive privilege isn't even given to the president in the constitution. It was just an interpretation of necessity for government to function. We're a nation of laws...heh. But those laws apply more to some than others.

If she were to be indicted, the righties would immedietly blame the dems even though I believe Alaska is run by the repbus.

You're right. I need to correct myself from earlier. The investigative committee is actually 10(R) 4(D) (I originally said 6 dems). Also, the investigation was started before she was ever picked to be VP. Just info in case the issue comes up.

You guys are spending way too much time on this.

Palin will be cleared, easily. Everybody except the leftist loons already knows it. CNN isn't even reporting this story anymore.

You guys are spending way too much time on this.

Palin will be cleared, easily. Everybody except the leftist loons already knows it. CNN isn't even reporting this story anymore.
There's no harm discussing it. I find it far more reasonable than discussing any guilt-by-association nonsense for any of the candidates. It is certainly more important than the silly conspiracy stuff coming from both sides. And since the report is today, we can just wait and see, right? I already stated not to expect too much, but her actions during this investigation are far more relevant than the past or present actions of any "associate" of any candidate.

Forum List

Back