Palin Called a Spade a Spade

Discussion in 'Politics' started by toomuchtime_, Aug 17, 2009.

1. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Just three weeks ago, I was writing in the Ottawa Citizen against niceness. I have pursued the theme recently with praise (sometimes backhanded) not only for the politics, but for the tone, of such as Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin in the United States. They are by no means the only practitioners of what we'll call the "not nice" style in contemporary politics. Newt Gingrich is usually mentioned in such dispatches; and I could list a selection of Barack Obama's "policy czars" with demonstrated shoot-from-the-lip propensities. But I would like to preserve a "nice" (in the logical sense) distinction between candour and thuggery.

Candour is when you tell a truth that is disturbing, in language so unambiguous that persons in polite company will not want to hear you. It is a way to lose the respect of the genteel -- of those who are "respectable" in the shallowest sense. Rude language is quite unnecessary to this end: the hard truth itself, spoken plainly and publicly, will give sufficient offence.

Thuggery is unrelated to this. It consists not of candid argument but of naked intimidation. It may be done crassly -- for instance, by the union thugs who have begun to appear at U.S. townhall meetings, to confront opponents of the Democrats' health-care agenda. Or it may be done smoothly, with the politically correct gesture, that conveys the threat of later reprisal against anyone who utters the contrary, "incorrect" thought. A good example would be the "flag@whitehouse.gov" e-mail address that was set up on the official White House website, to which Obama supporters across the country were invited to report "fishy" opposition to that health-care agenda.

And "niceness" is something else again, usually allied with hypocrisy. For one can be very selectively nice -- outraged, scandalized, breathtaken with surprise, when Richard Nixon was caught compiling an "enemies list." Yet perfectly indifferent when Barack Obama advertises for input to compile his.

How many "nice" people I know, who casually asserted that a certain George W. Bush was mentally retarded, resembled a monkey, and was guilty of war crimes. Suddenly the same people have "had it up to here" with squalid personal attacks on his successor.

RealClearPolitics - Palin Called a Spade a Spade

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,909
    Obama's Policies are unhealthy for Children and other living things

3. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005

Nice write up - and confirms my view that Palin has dominated Obama on what was Obama's own issue. She might actually be as tough as those who have long supported her say.

Now we must see if Obama has any real toughness and if he can reassert control within his own party....

4. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005

That avatar is......distracting!

5. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,410
    Just out of curiosity..........

How the fuck is the pitbull bitch from Alaska going to be able to call a spade a spade, when the stupid **** doesn't even have any fucking idea of what the truth is outside her own deluded bullshit?

Pain in the ass Palin isn't smart enough, good enough, or dedicated enough to make people like her.

She's a quitter bimbo.

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I agree with pretty much everything you say in your post except for the "union thugs who have begun to appear at the U.S. townhall meetings..." Two things I don't agree with in this statement: (1) I don't think it's really true. (2) Even if it is true, the people there have a right to voice their opinion (organized or not) and disagree, politely, or strongly, with what is being said at the meeting. That's called Freedom of Speech. This tactic has been used by the liberal left for years and it was "acceptable" and now just because somebody feels that the Republicans (a statement which I don't agree with) are doing it suddenly it is "unacceptable". Talk about hipocracity... Other then these statements, I think your post is right on the money.

7. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,641
    Sarah Who?

8. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,410
    Repugnicans don't like unions. It screws with their greed.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Never seen tambourines that big before ?? :lol:

10. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    It has been amusing watching the Palin haters yell like dopey kids about this, still trying to bring back October & November of last year.

Mrs Palin spoke out on two parts of this bill, and now both are off the table.

They can insult her, spin bitch and whine all they want, but she got results vs a President with a fillibuster proof senate and control of the house.

That is a fine accomplishment.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1