Palin as Celebrity or Savior?

Interesting column from Walter Rodgers who has a fair amount of DC Insider experience.
While critical of Palin's weaknesses, he also openly admits to her potential. All in all, a reasonably fair and balanced read - and he even manages to take a soft swipe at the current president...

Can Sarah Palin be more than a political celebrity? | csmonitor.com

Excerpts:

Last autumn's campaign was a mere flirtation, given what may lie ahead for Palin if she decides to throw her hat in the ring. She must decide whether she wants to be a heavyweight public servant or a rock star. Republicans have a responsibility to decide not only if she can win, but also whether she has the gravitas to do the job.

Republicans now in search of a new messiah might ask themselves if Palin is truly another Ronald Reagan, as more than a few would like to believe. It wasn't movie star glitter that made President Reagan so effective but rather his political genius, which rivaled that of Franklin Roosevelt.

Reagan charmed scores of congressional Democrats into embracing his points of view on dozens of issues. In 1981, I watched big-spending Democrats walk out of the West Wing completely "Reaganized," happily confessing they were converted to his spending reductions and other presidential initiatives.

Setting aside his two terms as governor of California, presiding over what would become the world's seventh-largest economy, Reagan had a biblical talent for making "even his enemies to be at peace with him."

Over the next three years, Palin needs to develop skills beyond a TV persona who can read scripts off a teleprompter.

Can Sarah Palin be more than a political celebrity? | csmonitor.com

Pretty obvious that Sinatra wants a sexual relationship with Palin...and since rumor has it Palin is getting a divorce from her laimoid hubby the chance exists:lol:

Considering the fact that running for office, especially the presidency, is more a Cult of Personality issue that a knowledge issue, she has just as much a chance as anyone else.

Pretty obvious that Sinatra wants a sexual relationship with Palin...and since rumor has it Palin is getting a divorce from her laimoid hubby the chance exists:lol:
you still believe that lying nonsence?
:rolleyes:

Considering the fact that running for office, especially the presidency, is more a Cult of Personality issue that a knowledge issue, she has just as much a chance as anyone else.

Sad but true regarding the cult of personality...

You fail to see the forest for the trees dear friend.

Palin speaks to values that many agree with - as such, she does not speak for them so much as with them. -

Such is the nature of representative democracy.

At present, she is doing so far more effectively than most...
well, shes shown she doesnt have what it takes to be a viable candidate
if you think the left attacks her now, just wait to see what they will do if she tries to run again
and remember, she has already shown she can be attacked in a way that makes her give up
that is not someone i would be willing to put in a high level position

I am not counting her political career as done just yet.

That being said - she does have a learning curve ahead of her...

What values? She doesn't have the values she says she has, she's a total fraud.

As for a learning curve, that'd be a slingshot around the sun and back again before she even came close to being competent at anything. She sucks as a mother, neither of her two oldest have even graduated HS, one got knocked up and she never finishes anything. She's 44, and she isn't going to get any brighter at this point.

well, shes shown she doesnt have what it takes to be a viable candidate
if you think the left attacks her now, just wait to see what they will do if she tries to run again
and remember, she has already shown she can be attacked in a way that makes her give up
that is not someone i would be willing to put in a high level position

As for a learning curve, that'd be a slingshot around the sun and back again before she even came close to being competent at anything. She sucks as a mother, neither of her two oldest have even graduated HS, one got knocked up and she never finishes anything. She's 44, and she isn't going to get any brighter at this point.

Hey, maybe you're right pard.

Then again, maybe not.

Either way, this Irishman considers you less than capable, yet more than willing.

That's a large pack yer runnin' with...

In honor of your avatar...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzQEzGZsnY&feature=related]YouTube - Boondock Saints Prayer[/ame]

I'm so happy that Palin is the voice of conservatives.

You know what's funny?

During the primaries I was saying the same thing about that unqualified dolt now occupying the oval office. And when he picked Biden I was laughing so hard.... well I'm not laughing anymore.

Careful what you wish for.

:lol:

Then again, maybe not.

Either way, this Irishman considers you less than capable, yet more than willing.

I wouldn't worry about that lib too much, Veritas believes Levi. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then again, maybe not.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzQEzGZsnY&feature=related]YouTube - Boondock Saints Prayer[/ame]

I'm more than capable and partly willing although I'm not churchified. The whole churchy thing is necessary to political office. I wish it wasn't. I'm boringly normal and married with children. One already graduated and is gainfully employed, the other could have graduated last year but she's doing the 12th grade. So I'm already ahead of Palin. I probably would call someone an asshole if I didn't have a better word at the ready.

Palin is not dumb, but she is does not impress as particularly bright. She has permitted her religious orientation to inhibt the development of critical thinking abilities. Alaska is better off that she quit, and America is better off if it does not elect a quitter like her.

I am actually a rather good marksman, although that is frowned at in the burbs.....:lol:

Then again, maybe not.

I'm more than capable and partly willing although I'm not churchified. The whole churchy thing is necessary to political office. I wish it wasn't. I'm boringly normal and married with children. One already graduated and is gainfully employed, the other could have graduated last year but she's doing the 12th grade. So I'm already ahead of Palin. I probably would call someone an asshole if I didn't have a better word at the ready.

The next thing ya gonna be tellin' me is at ya ain't Irish!

So is that so lad? You jes' sportin' ya avetah for shits n grins eh?

Ya puff.

Here ah taught ah ad a fellow of the island in eh. An na is justa nuda puff.

F-ckin 'ell...

-adult content warning-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPXH4QrJt6U]YouTube - Boondock Saints Bar Fight Scene[/ame]

My Grandfather's mother was a Donahue from Cork I think.

I love the Saints, they're pretty, and I am not a lad.

Is Palin doing the same? Her July op-ed on cap-and-trade legislation was a flop. And her reference in August to the prospect of the sick, the elderly, and the disabled facing a government "death panel" brought plenty of heat but little light to the complicated issue of national healthcare reform.

But: the cap and trade barely passed the congress and is yet to reach the senate for a vote. That story isn't over yet. The ' death panel" comment got millions of Americans to wake up out of thier coma and pay attention, and they did. The townhalls.

She can move middle American- she relates to them and them to her, that's why the libs are scared to death of her.

Forum List

Back