Palin as Celebrity or Savior?

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Interesting column from Walter Rodgers who has a fair amount of DC Insider experience.
While critical of Palin's weaknesses, he also openly admits to her potential. All in all, a reasonably fair and balanced read - and he even manages to take a soft swipe at the current president...

Can Sarah Palin be more than a political celebrity? | csmonitor.com

Excerpts:

Last autumn's campaign was a mere flirtation, given what may lie ahead for Palin if she decides to throw her hat in the ring. She must decide whether she wants to be a heavyweight public servant or a rock star. Republicans have a responsibility to decide not only if she can win, but also whether she has the gravitas to do the job.

Republicans now in search of a new messiah might ask themselves if Palin is truly another Ronald Reagan, as more than a few would like to believe. It wasn't movie star glitter that made President Reagan so effective but rather his political genius, which rivaled that of Franklin Roosevelt.

Reagan charmed scores of congressional Democrats into embracing his points of view on dozens of issues. In 1981, I watched big-spending Democrats walk out of the West Wing completely "Reaganized," happily confessing they were converted to his spending reductions and other presidential initiatives.

Setting aside his two terms as governor of California, presiding over what would become the world's seventh-largest economy, Reagan had a biblical talent for making "even his enemies to be at peace with him."

Over the next three years, Palin needs to develop skills beyond a TV persona who can read scripts off a teleprompter.

Can Sarah Palin be more than a political celebrity? | csmonitor.com

"I think I now know what Sarah Palin may have been feeling, but I feel absolutely committed to the cause, to what God wanted me to do with my life."
-- Mark Sanford (R-Argentina), Link
If you're following God's orders, explain why you cheated on your wife.

i agree, a good article.

and i like how you display that the word teleprompter is hard-wired to a swipe against obama in your mind.

It was - no doubt of that.

Obama and teleprompter are now one and the same....

I will be glad when the fascination with Sarah is gone. With all the truly important issues affecting this Republic, a lot of people keep wanting to focus on Sarah. Priorities people.

I will be glad when the fascination with Sarah is gone. With all the truly important issues affecting this Republic, a lot of people keep wanting to focus on Sarah. Priorities people.

Palin is playing an integral part in forwarding a conservative voice in the national wildernes of American politics.

She has become one of the most prominent foils of the Obama adminstration, and as such, is doing a commendable job...

you having trouble focusing?

Palin is playing an integral part in forwarding a conservative voice in the national wildernes of American politics.

She has become one of the most prominent foils of the Obama adminstration, and as such, is doing a commendable job...

It doesn't say much for the the employers of this Republic, when so many of them are looking for Sarah or someone else to lead them out of the wilderness they apathetically walked into.

One person does not a Republic or a movement make. If you want Sarah to speak for you and represent you, have at it.

The focus need to be on the Constitution, and the proper adjudication thereof. That job is left to all of us, as employers of this Republic. Sarah has no more power than you or I do.

It doesn't say much for the the employers of this Republic, when so many of them are looking for Sarah or someone else to lead them out of the wilderness they apathetically walked into.

One person does not a Republic or a movement make. If you want Sarah to speak for you and represent you, have at it.

The focus need to be on the Constitution, and the proper adjudication thereof. That job is left to all of us, as employers of this Republic. Sarah has no more power than you or I do.

You fail to see the forest for the trees dear friend.

Palin speaks to values that many agree with - as such, she does not speak for them so much as with them. -

Such is the nature of representative democracy.

At present, she is doing so far more effectively than most...

Palin speaks to values that many agree with - as such, she does not speak for them so much as with them. -

I see just fine. You, like so many others, are looking for one person to turn your political party around.

well, shes shown she doesnt have what it takes to be a viable candidate
if you think the left attacks her now, just wait to see what they will do if she tries to run again
and remember, she has already shown she can be attacked in a way that makes her give up
that is not someone i would be willing to put in a high level position

On the plus side, she might make it illegal for school children to be subjected to presidential speeches.

if you think the left attacks her now, just wait to see what they will do if she tries to run again
and remember, she has already shown she can be attacked in a way that makes her give up

I am not counting her political career as done just yet.

That being said - she does have a learning curve ahead of her...

shes gonna have to run for a lower level position and actually finish a term before i would ever think about voting for her at this point

shes gonna have to run for a lower level position and actually finish a term before i would ever think about voting for her at this point

Fair enough...

Forum List

Back