Palestinians to submit UN resolution on occupation by end of October

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014

AFP | Oct 16, 2014 | 23:19

The Palestinians have been under intense pressure not to push forward with the resolution — including with alleged threats of cuts to US aid — but Palestine Liberation Organisation secretary general Yasser Abed Rabbo said a decision was taken late Wednesday to push ahead.

"The political council of the PLO decided during its meeting last night... to go to the UN Security Council with the aim of getting a resolution passed to end the Israeli occupation in the Palestinian territories... by the end of this month," he said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told visiting UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Monday that a Palestinian diplomatic offensive would "undermine" peace efforts.

(now I ask why would this "undermine" peace efforts??)

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said earlier this month that the Palestinians are risking $700 million a year in US aid by pursuing the resolution.
(Also who in the US is threatening to withhold aid? )

Palestinians to submit UN resolution on occupation by end of October The Jordan Times

Personally I don't trust Abbas to keep pushing. He pulled back from pressing for the ICJ to start war crimes proceedings on Israel's Gaza incurision, and he held back time and time again from pressing for formal Palestinian statehood.

He may be using the fear of these things in Israel to win concessions, but none have been evident.

I give you two to one that he finds cause to stall on this measure, as well.

Personally I don't trust Abbas to keep pushing. He pulled back from pressing for the ICJ to start war crimes proceedings on Israel's Gaza incurision, and he held back time and time again from pressing for formal Palestinian statehood.

He may be using the fear of these things in Israel to win concessions, but none have been evident.

I give you two to one that he finds cause to stall on this measure, as well.

Well that might be, but why would Bibi say that would undermine the peace process, which by the way Israel has not done a thing mentioned for the peace process, except now they are taking over the temple mount, just to cause more unrest.

I hope your wrong and he doesn't back down.

Of course. They have freedom of occupation to submit a resolution on their occupation, in which they'll describe themselves in the gayest possible terms, indeed.

Forum List

Back