-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
SACRAMENTO
Painting of U.S. in toilet raises GOP hackles
Attorney general asked to remove work in state-owned building
Greg Lucas, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sacramento -- A painting of the United States sinking into a toilet now on display in the cafeteria of the state Department of Justice has raised the ire of the state Republican Party, which is demanding that Attorney General Bill Lockyer remove the image.

The painting -- part of an exhibit of more than 30 works by lawyer artists and pieces with overt legal themes -- has an American flag-painted continental United States heading into a toilet. Next to it are the words: "T'anks to Mr. Bush."

The artist, Stephen Pearcy, a Berkeley lawyer with a house in Sacramento, won earlier notoriety for hanging an effigy of an American soldier on the outside of his home here with a sign saying "Bush lied, I died." Angry residents tore the effigies down.

"I don't know why we need to tolerate the cheap artwork of a gadfly with a world view that is so offensive to a majority of the people," said Karen Hanretty, a spokeswoman for the California Republican Party.

One Web log, Conservative Schooler, had collected 55 signatures by late Tuesday afternoon for a petition calling on Lockyer to remove the painting because it desecrates the flag, and "material that is offensive to most people does not belong in a government office."

Although the debate centers on the appropriateness of art in public places, the exhibit was neither commissioned by Lockyer, nor did he participate in selecting the pieces, and no public funds were spent on the show.

"We played no role in developing the guidelines on what the curator of this exhibit could pick or not pick," said Nathan Barankin, a Lockyer spokesman. "His only constraints were his creative muse and space limitations. "

Barankin said all the works in the exhibit would be on display until the show ends Aug. 31, a likely result since Lockyer, for most of his political career, has kept a representation of a man with a hand over his mouth on his office wall. Beneath the man are the words: "No Censorship."

The art displayed in the first floor cafeteria at the Department of Justice on I Street includes paintings, sculptures and photographs and runs the gamut from a copy of Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring'' to Blind Justice cowering in a prison cell with red paint splashed across the frame, apparently to symbolize blood.

The sponsor of the show is California Lawyers for the Arts, a nonprofit group founded in the Bay Area in 1974 to aid artists with their legal issues.

"You may disagree with what is being expressed by one particular painting in the exhibition, but we can't censor the artist for his right to express his own opinion," said Ellen Taylor who heads the Sacramento office of lawyers for the arts. "We have freedom of speech and freedom of expression and art is speech according to every law in the land."

The exhibit's curator, Chuck Miller, said the Pearcy piece was not included in the collection to antagonize any, including the Republican Party.

"In the context of the show and what it's about, the painting is perfectly alright," he said. "... It's just one point of view."

Hanretty countered that Lockyer, a Democrat and staunch supporter of free speech, would not have allowed art to be displayed that gays or lesbians found offensive or promoted violence toward women.

Pearcy's painting is in a second, smaller room at the far end of the cafeteria and is only visible by diners sitting in that room.

To the right of Pearcy is a poster with a dove above the head of a Palestinian peering grimly from behind barbed wire. Across the top are the words: "Palestine -- Stop U.S. Financed Genocide in the Middle East."

Pearcy could not be reached for comment Tuesday, but in a statement that accompanies the exhibit he said he had made the painting on July 4, 2003, to "show the direction this country was (and still is) headed under the Bush administration." The painting also "confronted the absurd display of 'fanatical patriotism' following 9/11," he said.

To support his thesis, Pearcy recites a litany of government actions he objects to including torture of detainees, censorship, hiring "more cops rather than teachers," SUVs and lack of corporate accountability.

In front of Pearcy's painting is a pair of ceramic Western boots whose creator, Corrine Singleton, said represented Western justice.

Other artists also expressed political sentiments:

John K. Landgraf, who created the Blind Justice in her cell with blood spattered across it, said "the current administration's constraint and abuse of Justice (for whatever reason) cast an ominous shadow over our nation's moral integrity."

Another artist called for an end to genocide in Rwanda.

Others merely painted a Monet-like pink water lily or a brightly abstract portrayal of shadows and dying light dancing across Folsom Lake at sunset.

"There is a good spectrum represented in the show, pieces that are 180 degrees from some of the others. And if you don't like something, you don't have to look at it," said Miller, the curator, who is an art consultant and former owner of the Michael Himovitz Gallery.

Larry Brecht, who has run the cafeteria since 1999, enjoyed the "nice personal drawings" of high school students at the Natomas Charter School, the previous exhibit.

"I don't mind the art," Brecht said. "It does add to the facility but some of the art, in my opinion, hasn't been much too look at. Abstract stuff just doesn't float my boat, but if they wanted to get some conversation generated, they really have."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/20/BAGV0DQLCS1.DTL

I am astounded at how much time cp has on his hands to find and post these things. :rotflmao: :lame2:

Well I wonder, are we to infer that the DNC then thinks the US is IN the toilet?

Zoom, you have your stereotypes and I have mine. :lame2:

As for the thread, you have to pay a price to live in a free country. You have to deal with freedom of expression.
In a more repressive country, such a display would be punishable by death. Not every country embraces the freedoms bestowed by democracy. This is why we, as Americans, cherish our freedoms.
We live in a free country. At least for now.

Kathianne said:
Well I wonder, are we to infer that the DNC then thinks the US is IN the toilet?

It wouldn't be a far leap to assume that:

1. "I hate the Republicans and everything they stand for..."

2. "....because a lot of them have never made an honest living in their lives."

3. "The Republicans are not very friendly to different kinds of people. I mean, they're a pretty monolithic party. They pretty much, they all behave the same, they all look the same. It's pretty much a white Christian party."

And that is just from Howard Dean.

The Republicans are pretty much a white Christian party. A white MALE Christian party.

Gabriella84 said:
The Republicans are pretty much a white Christian party. A white MALE Christian party.
Wow! All those stats are wrong? :shocked: Pretty much the majority of the US is made up of white, Christian, males?

insein said:
I see this more as liberals putting their favorite pasttime into a physical form rather than the metaphorical one. Since they piss and shit on this country on a daily basis, they might as well do it for real. ;)

Excellent point! :thewave:

Actually - on a certain level I do believe the USA is being flushed down the toilet; however, it's NOT because of our President.

Our country is going down the tubes because:

1. We value killing the unborn over life.

2. We have folks who want to remove God from everything:
- Our pledge
- Our money
- Our courtrooms

3. We've removed God from the classrooms.

4. We think "if our marriage doesn't work out - that's okay, I'll just find another spouse" - nevermind what impact it has on your kids. Remember, it's all about YOU!

5. We are self-servant rather than subservant.

6. We have Gay pride marches but not Straight-pride marches.

7. We're too afraid to call people by their ethenticity - instead we say "African-American". Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Either you'rean AMERICAN or not.

8. We're more worried about starving kids around the world than in our own backyard.

9. We want diversity rather than solidarity when it comes to fighting this war on terror and our support for the Command in Chief during wartime.

10. Our government is more worried about "the vote" of hispanics than they are about keeping our country safe by shutting down the borders.

11. We teach our 12-yr olds how to use a comdom rather than teach them that sex before marriage will mess you up emotionally.

12. We want Homosexuality to somehow be thought of as "normal".

13. Our media spends more time reporting the "deaths in Iraq" than they do the good things taking place.

14. We want freedom of speech over personal responsibility.

15. We say we want "tolerence" of all faiths - if that's the case, see #2.

-Cp said:
Actually - on a certain level I do believe the USA is being flushed down the toilet; however, it's NOT because of our President.

- Our pledge
- Our money
- Our courtrooms

4. We think "if our marriage doesn't work out - that's okay, I'll just find another spouse" - nevermind what impact it has on your kids. Remember, it's all about YOU!

7. We're too afraid to call people by their ethenticity - instead we say "African-American". Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Either you'rean AMERICAN or not.

8. We're more worried about starving kids around the world than in our own backyard.

9. We want diversity rather than solidarity when it comes to fighting this war on terror and our support for the Command in Chief during wartime.

10. Our government is more worried about "the vote" of hispanics than they are about keeping our country safe by shutting down the borders.

11. We teach our 12-yr olds how to use a comdom rather than teach them that sex before marriage will mess you up emotionally.

13. Our media spends more time reporting the "deaths in Iraq" than they do the good things taking place.

:thewave:

Gabriella84 said:
Zoom, you have your stereotypes and I have mine. :lame2:

As for the thread, you have to pay a price to live in a free country. You have to deal with freedom of expression.
In a more repressive country, such a display would be punishable by death. Not every country embraces the freedoms bestowed by democracy. This is why we, as Americans, cherish our freedoms.
We live in a free country. At least for now.

I agree with your statement about freedom of expression and evidently this painting was appropriate for the context of the show.

That being said, do you think they would've allowed a picture showing gays and lesbians as being the ones throwing the United States into the toilet?

I think not. A double standard exists among liberals:

Hanretty countered that Lockyer, a Democrat and staunch supporter of free speech, would not have allowed art to be displayed that gays or lesbians found offensive or promoted violence toward women.

If the artwork shown was appropriate for the chosen theme, then truly I have no problem with this silly man's silly art. If you don't like it you can scoff at it, laugh at it, or ignore it. Art is one of those things that only has power if you give it power.

The Republicans in this instance have most certainly, given this man more power than he deserves.

I do agree with ScreamingEagle though...the supposed theme was art with "legal themes," would the Democrats mentioned in the article be so understanding and accepting of art that blantantly implied that the homosexual communities stuggle to legalize gay marriage was one of the things hurting our nation, and the art depicted that message was disgusting or overtly prejudicial and nasty? Obviously not, and theres where the problem lies when it comes to issues of censorship of late.

Gem said:
If the artwork shown was appropriate for the chosen theme, then truly I have no problem with this silly man's silly art. If you don't like it you can scoff at it, laugh at it, or ignore it. Art is one of those things that only has power if you give it power.

Makes me wonder if taxpayer money was spent to put this crap on the wall. If so, somebody's ass needs to be fried.

The Republicans in this instance have most certainly, given this man more power than he deserves.

Once again, a rational explanation by Gem makes more sense than a thread of histronics.
One of the primary reasons why kooky "artists" do shit like this is because they know it will bother people. Radical opposition creates publicity. Publicity creates interest. Interest creates money. Things like this are massive examples of stupidity that you are helping create interest in.
Example:
In Norway earlier this year, a group of "artists" put together an exhibit that consisted almost entirely on fruit strategically placed on otherwise nude young women. Since the Europeans are not nearly as hung up about nudity as we are, the "show" went almost unnoticed. Until someone wrote a piece about how "vulgar" and "shocking" it was. Suddenly, everyone became curious and had to go see it. Turning what was almost a ignored show into one of the year's largest grossing exhibits.

-Cp said:

- Our pledge
- Our money
- Our courtrooms

:thewave: :thewave:

The thing is, if this was a 10 commandments picture the same people defending the anti-american dreck would be hollering for it to be taken down.

Forum List

Back