PAINT THAT CAN PREVENT TOOTH DECAY

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
article-2666218-1B5E143400000578-190_634x286.jpg

Researchers at the University of Leeds have developed a paste that is painted on to the teeth and can protect against decay

Researchers at the University of Leeds have developed a paste that is painted on to the teeth and can protect against decay.

The paste contains naturally occurring molecules — peptides — which seep into the tiny holes in the tooth’s surface.

The peptides form a gel that provides a ‘scaffold’ that attracts calcium from saliva. The calcium provides a protective layer.

The paste was originally developed for treating early decay.

‘We already knew the formula could provide a certain degree of repair with tooth decay,’ says Professor Jennifer Kirkham, of the university’s school of dentistry.

‘However, we could also see that, in a paste or fluid, it could protect against acid attack.’

Edited to add link: Protective paint for your teeth could banish the dentist’s drill

Last edited by a moderator:
This might have been what my dentist told me about last visit.

He didn't describe it as a "paint" -- wasn't sure what form it would take -- but I'm supposed to check in with him ahead of my next visit so we can give it a test run. I believe the way he described it was to prevent plaque buildup. My body chemistry and my alkaline mouth build a lot, so I was the one he thought of to try it out.

Yes, I just read about it this week and it sounds exciting.

Also, I can't wait for bioprinting, which sounds like science fiction, but will, with more research and development, become reality and transform medical treatments, especially dentistry.

At least my grandchildren will have perfect natural teeth.

I was just reading an article in popular science and they were talking about 3D printing of teeth.. Let me see if I can find it on line it was kind of interesting

3D printing is great, but it is still false teeth. Bioprinting will totally revolutionize dentistry, as they will be natural replacements. The new teeth will be generated from the patients own biological material.

Forum List

Back