Packers question: perfect season or let 2nd stringers play to protect team for SB?

How would you feel if GB is 15-0 going into the last game against the Lions, who have a very good pass rush and may need to win that game to make the playoffs. So, it's the 4th quarter in a close game, do you risk Aaron Rodgers getting injured? It's one thing if the score is lop-sided, but what if it ain't? How are you going to feel as a cheesehead if you lose Rodgers in a game that has no bearing on the playoff seeding?

If I'm the GB HC, I tell my team going into the game that Rodgers and whoever else will sit out the 4th qtr no matter what, so if you want the win you better put it away early. Cuz I ain't risking a shot at winning the SB.

I am sorry....ignore my previous post

I forgot you are a Lions fan..........of course the Packers should bench their starters. Can't be too safe

How would you feel if GB is 15-0 going into the last game against the Lions, who have a very good pass rush and may need to win that game to make the playoffs. So, it's the 4th quarter in a close game, do you risk Aaron Rodgers getting injured? It's one thing if the score is lop-sided, but what if it ain't? How are you going to feel as a cheesehead if you lose Rodgers in a game that has no bearing on the playoff seeding?

If I'm the GB HC, I tell my team going into the game that Rodgers and whoever else will sit out the 4th qtr no matter what, so if you want the win you better put it away early. Cuz I ain't risking a shot at winning the SB.

I forgot you are a Lions fan..........of course the Packers should bench their starters. Can't be too safe

LOL, thanks. Seriously, if they bench some starters and lose the last game but win 2 SBs in a row and go 18-1 they'll be right there in the discussion for one of the greatest. 19-0 would be wonderful for them, but the goal should be to win the championship. If it was me I'd feel pretty bad if Rodgers went down with an injury in a game that has no bearing on winning the SB.

Fine with me if Rodgers plays the whole game and they win. Even better if the Lions win, with or without Rodgers in the game.

I'm just hoping either the Bears or Patriots can beat the Peckers.

LOL, thanks. Seriously, if they bench some starters and lose the last game but win 2 SBs in a row and go 18-1 they'll be right there in the discussion for one of the greatest. 19-0 would be wonderful for them, but the goal should be to win the championship. If it was me I'd feel pretty bad if Rodgers went down with an injury in a game that has no bearing on winning the SB.

Fine with me if Rodgers plays the whole game and they win. Even better if the Lions win, with or without Rodgers in the game.

I've seen it go both ways and you can't win either way. Monday morning QBs will get ya. If you play your starters and get a key injury, it is I told you to rest them. If you rest your starters and play a stinker in th playoffs, they tell you the team lost it's focus and winning spirit

To me, if you are healthy .....you play......it's your job
If you are banged up and two weeks rest will help......then sit

If the Pack goes 19-0, no question they are the greatest of all time. 19-1 and they are just another very good team

Let's see, keep the starters in for the remainder of the season so they're all banged up for the playoffs, but they'll always be the answer to a football nerd's trivia question, or rest your starters so they'll be fresh for a playoff run, better able to make those playoff bonuses and keep their and the coaches' jobs secure?

I seriously doubt anyone in the Packers organization cares more about the streak than they do about doing well in the playoffs.

that worked out great for the colts.

oh, wait...

Didn't the Colts go to the Super Bowl that year? That sounds to me like it worked out ok. Just getting to the SB is difficult enough. Sure, they lost, but they got there to have a chance to win it. That doesn't sound as though resting their starters hurt them.

Let's see, keep the starters in for the remainder of the season so they're all banged up for the playoffs, but they'll always be the answer to a football nerd's trivia question, or rest your starters so they'll be fresh for a playoff run, better able to make those playoff bonuses and keep their and the coaches' jobs secure?

I seriously doubt anyone in the Packers organization cares more about the streak than they do about doing well in the playoffs.

oh, wait...

Didn't the Colts go to the Super Bowl that year? That sounds to me like it worked out ok. Just getting to the SB is difficult enough. Sure, they lost, but they got there to have a chance to win it. That doesn't sound as though resting their starters hurt them.
No that's the year they didn't win a single playoff game.

oh, wait...

No that's the year they didn't win a single playoff game.

Hrm, which year was it? They were 14-0 in 2009, weren't they?

Nm, I decided to go look, it was 2005. :) Yep, that didn't work for them! :lol:

this is the packers, home of vince lombardi who said:

“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

st. vince would play every game to win, wouldnt matter if they were 13-0 or 0-13, you go into every game with the thougth that you will do your best to win that game........

the last two games will be against division rivals, both with long histories concerning the packers, especially the bears...... you dont want to give either of those teams the bragging rights to say they stopped the packers perfect season........

you dont want to get in a lacidasial (sp?)going into the playoffs.. yuo want to keep the winning attitude alive and sharp thru every game..........

so, they should not be aiming for perfection, but they should be aiming to win every game they play....... anyhting less would be a disgrace to the memory of lombardi........

Last edited:
here are ten great vince lombardi quotes......

Ten Great Vince Lombardi Quotes

not a single one even implies that it is ok to not try to win every game you play.........

this is why the trophy was named after him and he is considered one of... if not the.... greatest coach of all time......

Forum List

Back