Packers question: perfect season or let 2nd stringers play to protect team for SB?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
The Packers need one more win to clinch homefield advantage through the playoffs.

If they get that next game, then that's still two more games in the regular season where people could get hurt and not be available for the playoffs.

Do the Packers keep their first string on the field for all 16 games to go for the perfect season?

Or do they give them time off to avoid injuries and hopefully increase their chances of winning another Super Bowl?

• Banned
I wouldn't know ... at least not much ... Google gave me a hint about what you meant.

I'm not a football fan. Just a Packers fan! :lol:

My guess is that they'll go all out because they don't want to let us down. But I don't know. Maybe they'll knock my rosy cheesehead glasses off me this year.

I'm torn for two reasons.

1. Rust happens fast when you have a first round bye.

2. I want to see the Packers win.

Let's see, keep the starters in for the remainder of the season so they're all banged up for the playoffs, but they'll always be the answer to a football nerd's trivia question, or rest your starters so they'll be fresh for a playoff run, better able to make those playoff bonuses and keep their and the coaches' jobs secure?

I seriously doubt anyone in the Packers organization cares more about the streak than they do about doing well in the playoffs.

• Banned
I took the question from a poll on the local news outlet.

Question of the Day
What should the Packers do if they clinch home-field advantage?

Results (so far):

Rest their starters for the playoffs: 33%
Play the starters and go for perfection: 67%

NBC26 - Green Bay, Wisconsin - News, Weather, Sports, Entertainment

I'm kinda surprised so many say rest them!

Hopefully we'll win Game 14 and they'll have the luxury of deciding it on their own terms.

Go Pack!

Let's see, keep the starters in for the remainder of the season so they're all banged up for the playoffs, but they'll always be the answer to a football nerd's trivia question, or rest your starters so they'll be fresh for a playoff run, better able to make those playoff bonuses and keep their and the coaches' jobs secure?

I seriously doubt anyone in the Packers organization cares more about the streak than they do about doing well in the playoffs.

that worked out great for the colts.

oh, wait...

Am I evil for hoping GB gets beat in the Playoffs?

Remember SF vs Denver? 55-10, I'm not interested in watching another one of those.

that worked out great for the colts.

oh, wait...
HENCE my concern. The bye week is bad enough.

Am I evil for hoping GB gets beat in the Playoffs?

Remember SF vs Denver? 55-10, I'm not interested in watching another one of those.
Of course you're evil for saying that. :lol:

I'm fine watching a blowout as long as it's the packers doing it. But I'm biased that way.

My bet is they'll play all their starters as usual. They're not any more beat up than any other team. I think the only way McCarthy knows how to play is play to win.

Makes me proud to be from Wisconsin.

McCarthy does seem to be a coach of 'habit and consistency'. I think he may do limited rests for some starters, or for part of games. Too much rest, you get rust.

I think they go for the perfect season, because they already won the super last year, and winning a Super Bowl with a 19-0 record would be sweet.

They also have a very good, not too old team, so there is the possibility of more championships for a few years to come.

They should go for it, if anything for the fans that pay out the ass to watch the best of the best in the NFL.

But this I can also say as a NE fan, hope they have a loss on the record if and when they get to the SB. It's less pressure on GB and frankly at 18-0 I think it gives the opposition even more incentive to beat them.

Go for it Pack!

Don't be a bunch of pussies like the Colts were

There is a difference between being SuperBowl Champs and the greatest team of all time

How would you feel if GB is 15-0 going into the last game against the Lions, who have a very good pass rush and may need to win that game to make the playoffs. So, it's the 4th quarter in a close game, do you risk Aaron Rodgers getting injured? It's one thing if the score is lop-sided, but what if it ain't? How are you going to feel as a cheesehead if you lose Rodgers in a game that has no bearing on the playoff seeding?

If I'm the GB HC, I tell my team going into the game that Rodgers and whoever else will sit out the 4th qtr no matter what, so if you want the win you better put it away early. Cuz I ain't risking a shot at winning the SB.

Last edited:
How would you feel if GB is 15-0 going into the last game against the Lions, who have a very good pass rush and may need to win that game to make the playoffs. So, it's the 4th quarter in a close game, do you risk Aaron Rodgers getting injured? It's one thing if the score is lop-sided, but what if it ain't? How are you going to feel as a cheesehead if you lose Rodgers in a game that has no bearing on the playoff seeding?

If I'm the GB HC, I tell my team going into the game that Rodgers and whoever else will sit out the 4th qtr no matter what, so if you want the win you better put it away early. Cuz I ain't risking a shot at winning the SB.

I say, no guts, no glory....

Green Bay already has 12 Championships, winning number 13 is nice, but nowhere near to being the Greatest Team of All Time

Forum List

Back