Our southern border: We are in deep peril if we don't act now

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Folks, you better be calling your elected officials and demand that we get a handle on this or I'm telling you, we are heading for disaster.

A changing border: Barricades won’t solve tough new challenges at the Southwest frontier

The surge of people from Africa, Asia and the Caribbean who have been trekking in ever-greater numbers across the Americas in hopes of reaching the United States presents the new U.S. administration with a conundrum.

As a more diverse group of immigrants from around the globe seeks to enter the U.S. through the Southwest border, deciding whom to let in — and whom to send back — is getting increasingly complicated.

ADVERTISEMENT
Many of these new migrants are fleeing faraway conflicts and violent political turmoil; they may have taken arduous journeys and spent their life savings to come to America. But figuring out who is truly fleeing repression and who is actually coming here for economic reasons — as many are — is vexingly difficult, given the increasing numbers and the limited resources available to adjudicate their claims.

Letting in too many people, by lowering the bar for political asylum, will only encourage more people seeking economic opportunity to try to enter the U.S., some immigration experts worry. They note that the U.S. already lets in a million immigrants a year legally and — despite the plight of many who have made treacherous journeys to get here — can’t afford to admit everyone.

But the sheer numbers of new migrants and the lack of resources to process their claims has made it hard for true victims of persecution to prove their case — and many, immigrant advocates say, are sent back home to uncertain fates without getting a fair hearing.

A changing border: Barricades won’t solve tough new challenges at the Southwest frontier

Folks, you better be calling your elected officials and demand that we get a handle on this or I'm telling you, we are heading for disaster.

The surge of people from Africa, Asia and the Caribbean who have been trekking in ever-greater numbers across the Americas in hopes of reaching the United States presents the new U.S. administration with a conundrum.

As a more diverse group of immigrants from around the globe seeks to enter the U.S. through the Southwest border, deciding whom to let in — and whom to send back — is getting increasingly complicated.

ADVERTISEMENT
Many of these new migrants are fleeing faraway conflicts and violent political turmoil; they may have taken arduous journeys and spent their life savings to come to America. But figuring out who is truly fleeing repression and who is actually coming here for economic reasons — as many are — is vexingly difficult, given the increasing numbers and the limited resources available to adjudicate their claims.

Letting in too many people, by lowering the bar for political asylum, will only encourage more people seeking economic opportunity to try to enter the U.S., some immigration experts worry. They note that the U.S. already lets in a million immigrants a year legally and — despite the plight of many who have made treacherous journeys to get here — can’t afford to admit everyone.

But the sheer numbers of new migrants and the lack of resources to process their claims has made it hard for true victims of persecution to prove their case — and many, immigrant advocates say, are sent back home to uncertain fates without getting a fair hearing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the GOP candidates all of em, rally around border security to scare the shit out of you white nuts when running for office? Did you or did you not give them a mandate in 2014 to do just that? And am I correct, that all GOP racist candidates run on containing illegal immigration just to scare whitey, only to do nothing once in office?

MY POINT IS THIS AND I WANT YOU TO PAY ATTENTION: STOP ALLOWING THE GOP TO SCARE YOU WHITE FUCK HEADS AND VOTE FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING FOR YOU.....REGARDLESS OF PARTY!!!

IN OTHER WORDS....DEAL WITH IT!!! AND SHUT UP!!!!!

We could end the drug war and use that waste of monies to enforce tougher border security measures..Us some of the LEO's that would be laid off because of no more war on drugs..Drugs being synonymous of humans...

Perhaps you are right. The people who would do the most for my people would be the people who would get rid of you people--make it so you people could be free of my people, and my people free of you.

If we used Duterte's methods, the druggies would leave on their own.
You are wrong, of course. Instead, we would become like the Philippines: corrupt, poor, brutal and bursting at the seams with extra-judicial slaughter of the poor while the corrupt rich got richer. And "druggies", i.e., people who want to feel better, would still take drugs.

Forum List

Back