Our galaxy compared to the largest galaxy we've found.

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
This is mind blowing.

NU6uN8A.png

This is mind blowing.

NU6uN8A.png

For the first time, astronomers have spotted a protogalactic disk — a giant whirling cloud of gas that gives birth to a galaxy — and the discovery could reveal clues about how galaxies form.

Galaxies are strung together in filaments separated by immense voids. These filaments are connected in a gargantuan tangle known as the cosmic web.

Much remains a mystery about how galaxies form. Researchers suggest that a key player is a kind of current known as a cold accretion flow. These rivers of gas can get as hot as 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit (10,000 degrees Celsius) — they are only "cold" relative to the kinds of extraordinarily hot winds astronomers regularly see in the universe, such as those around black holes.

Monstrous Whirling Gas Cloud Reveals Clues About Galaxy Formation

and it is approx 1 billion light years away......with around 100 Trillion Stars in it.....
So it could have ceased to exist millions of years ago and we would not know it yet because the light of it is still streaming towards us.

and it is approx 1 billion light years away......with around 100 Trillion Stars in it.....

And not a single other living thing in the entire universe besides us, right Harry?
do you want me to agree with you?....because i believe we aint alone bobo sorry......i cant prove it,unless i use you as an example....
... fallacy of argument from ignorance -- you cannot prove anything either way.

And not a single other living thing in the entire universe besides us, right Harry?
do you want me to agree with you?....because i believe we aint alone bobo sorry......i cant prove it,unless i use you as an example....

But you believe not because you don't know. He thinks there is because there should be. He's open to the possibility. You are closed.

But you believe not because you don't know. He thinks there is because there should be. He's open to the possibility. You are closed.
... argument from ignorance is still ignorance -- whichever way you go.

We don't even know if the cloud is still there.

Maybe it is and maybe it is not.

People forget that seeing is not always believing.

Light takes time to flash through space too.

What existential element for humans would be changed by discovering another intelligent being?

gee you think?...........

Well I believe life is starting and ending all the time in our universe. Let's say our planet is 5 billion years old. I believe there was life on other planets as far back as 11 billion years ago. Somewhere out in the universe a new planet is coming to life right now and also one planet died. We don't know because we aren't intelligent enough to see that far or to go to Mars and find fossils. We know so little. Yes we are still very ignorant but we know more than our ancient ancestors. And the stories in those ancient holy books don't pass the scientific test. We can't be required to believe what Moses Abraham or Paul said no matter how impossible.

Even if we proves evolution and life on other planets you would still believe in God. Your religion being wrong is not a deal breaker. That's brainwashed. Wishful thinking. Cognitive dissonance. Cherry picking.

Well I believe life is starting and ending all the time in our universe. Let's say our planet is 5 billion years old. I believe there was life on other planets as far back as 11 billion years ago. Somewhere out in the universe a new planet is coming to life right now and also one planet died. We don't know because we aren't intelligent enough to see that far or to go to Mars and find fossils. We know so little. Yes we are still very ignorant but we know more than our ancient ancestors. And the stories in those ancient holy books don't pass the scientific test. We can't be required to believe what Moses Abraham or Paul said no matter how impossible.

Even if we proves evolution and life on other planets you would still believe in God. Your religion being wrong is not a deal breaker. That's brainwashed. Wishful thinking. Cognitive dissonance. Cherry picking.
Even if we proves evolution and life on other planets you would still believe in God.
so who is to say that "God" did not create life elsewhere too?.....OR the way i believe it,we were "seeded" here and elsewhere by a much,much more advanced race of beings.......

Even if we proves evolution and life on other planets you would still believe in God.
so who is to say that "God" did not create life elsewhere too?.....OR the way i believe it,we were "seeded" here and elsewhere by a much,much more advanced race of beings.......
I agree. But who said we were all there is? Religions.

I agree life on other planets doesn't disprove a god but it disproves Christianity doesn't it???

I agree life on other planets doesn't disprove a god but it disproves Christianity doesn't it???
it may disprove everything we think we know.....

it may disprove everything we think we know.....

To me it'd be no big deal if we found life on other planets. I would say, "no shit". But it would be cool to settle that argument once and for all.

Forum List

Back