Organic Food

Many of the studies didn't specify their standards for what constituted "organic" food - which can cost as much as twice what conventional food costs - the researchers wrote Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

wow studies with no control......lol....

But Chensheng Lu, who studies environmental health and exposure at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, said that while the jury is still out on those effects, people should consider pesticide exposure in their grocery-shopping decisions.

"If I was a smart consumer, I would choose food that has no pesticides," Lu, who wasn't involved in the new study, told Reuters Health. "I think that's the best way to protect your health."

He said more research is necessary to fully explore the potential health and safety differences between organic and conventional foods, and that it's "premature" to conclude organic meat and produce isn't any healthier than non-organic versions.

"Right now I think it's all based on anecdotal evidence," Lu said.

from your link....but keep eating foods that are sprayed and modified......go right on..thinking its better for you

I was never under the impression that people buy organic for boosted vitamins benefits, etc but the fact that there's not pesticides and crap on them.

Which...........stil remains.

From your study: But organic options may live up to their billing of lowering exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, researchers from Stanford University and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System found.

I was never under the impression that people buy organic for boosted vitamins benefits, etc but the fact that there's not pesticides and crap on them.

From your study: But organic options may live up to their billing of lowering exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, researchers from Stanford University and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System found.

it's marketing.....come on....you're making assumptions, based on oooooh chemicals, what a dirty word!

due to the chemicals used in christmas tree 'farming' this area has odd clusters of cancer..especially childhood cancers but it has nothing to do with the spraying of the trees...that runs into the ground water and water tables that people drill wells into.....

it's marketing.....come on....you're making assumptions, based on oooooh chemicals, what a dirty word!

You made a thread assuming it makes people who buy organic stupid, when the study doesn't even address the main reason people buy organic.

Yea, that was you. Quit quipping jokes when you're the one with egg on your face.

And yes, chemicals are bad. Look up some cancer studies, and also stand by the beds of some close friends or relatives dying of cancer that lived otherwise seemingly healthy lives, and try not to study and get too upset about it....

After all of that, come back and make this immature thread with that pain sitting in your guts, simmering for a little while.

You made a thread assuming it makes people who buy organic stupid, when the study doesn't even address the main reason people buy organic.

Yea, that was you. Quit quipping jokes when you're the one with egg on your face.

And yes, chemicals are bad. Look up some cancer studies, and also stand by the beds of some close friends or relatives dying of cancer that lived otherwise seemingly healthy lives, and try not to study and get too upset about it....

After all of that, come back and make this immature thread with that pain sitting in your guts, simmering for a little while.

No I just make fun of liberal politics masquerading as science and how all these "Studies" are jokes, because they're not real science.

Also what are we supposed to die of? I'm thinking since we are older we have more cancer, because well, we cant live forever....or can we?

No I just make fun of liberal politics masquerading as science and how all these "Studies" are jokes, because they're not real science.

Also what are we supposed to die of? I'm thinking since we are older we have more cancer, because well, we cant live forever....or can we?

I am thinking that people in their 20's and 30's get cancer, all the way up to "old," so.....yea good "point."

And this study doesn't mean shit. People don't buy organic because they think there's more vitamins in them, I've never met a person who didn't do it to avoid the chemicals. And, your study reinforces their reasoning, rendering this thread retarded, and immature.

I am thinking that people in their 20's and 30's get cancer, all the way up to "old," so.....yea good "point."

And this study doesn't mean shit. People don't buy organic because they think there's more vitamins in them, I've never met a person who didn't do it to avoid the chemicals. And, your study reinforces their reasoning, rendering this thread retarded, and immature.

Oh please organic food people are almost as nazistic as vegans, which is just a bunch of crap.
Ojk so people in their 20s are getting more cancer? from organic food? or is it cell phones? or is it too much tv? or is it pollution?

Oh please organic food people are almost as nazistic as vegans, which is just a bunch of crap.
Ojk so people in their 20s are getting more cancer? from organic food? or is it cell phones? or is it too much tv? or is it pollution?

:lol::lol: what?

As Naziistic?

Dude, not wanting pesticide on your food is naziistic? I think you're pretty politically unhinged and need to quit partisanship. It's getting cloudy upstairs.

Why I choose locally grown organics:

1. Pesticides. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em.

2. Fuel Efficiency. No big trucks needed to haul my veggies from one place to another...just ride down to the local Farmers Market and I'm filling up on clean, fresh produce that will support my LOCAL economy.

3. It's good for my planet.

2. Fuel Efficiency. No big trucks needed to haul my veggies from one place to another...just ride down to the local Farmers Market and I'm filling up on clean, fresh produce that will support my LOCAL economy.

Shows how absolutely mind boggling organic food producers have tricked the public. Organics do use pesticides. Here ya go.

ORGANIC PESTICIDES VERSUS SYNTHETIC PESTICIDES
Clearly, the less we impact our environment, the better off we all are. Organic farming practices have greatly advanced the use of non-chemical means to control pests, as mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, these non-chemical methods do not always provide enough protection, and it's necessary to use chemical pesticides. How do organic pesticides compare with conventional pesticides?

A recent study compared the effectiveness of a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture versus a synthetic pesticide, imidan. Rotenone and pyrethrin are two common organic pesticides; imidan is considered a "soft" synthetic pesticide (i.e., designed to have a brief lifetime after application, and other traits that minimize unwanted effects). It was found that up to 7 applications of the rotenone- pyrethrin mixture were required to obtain the level of protection provided by 2 applications of imidan.

It seems unlikely that 7 applications of rotenone and pyrethrin are really better for the environment than 2 applications of imidan, especially when rotenone is extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic life.

It should be noted, however, that we don't know for certain which system is more harmful. This is because we do not look at organic pesticides the same way that we look at conventional pesticides. We don't know how long these organic pesticides persist in the environment, or the full extent of their effects.

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.

WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD THIS BEFORE?
For obvious reasons, organic farmers have done little, if anything, to dispel the myth that "organic = chemical/pesticide-free". They would only stand to lose business by making such a disclosure.

Pesticide manufacturers have little concern in the matter. To them, "synthetic pesticides sold" and "organic pesticides sold" are both "pesticides sold".

As for conventional farmers, they are not really in a position to be critical. It would not be in their interest to draw attention to chemical and pesticide use.

Pestcides in Organic Farming

Shows how absolutely mind boggling organic food producers have tricked the public. Organics do use pesticides. Here ya go.

ORGANIC PESTICIDES VERSUS SYNTHETIC PESTICIDES
Clearly, the less we impact our environment, the better off we all are. Organic farming practices have greatly advanced the use of non-chemical means to control pests, as mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, these non-chemical methods do not always provide enough protection, and it's necessary to use chemical pesticides. How do organic pesticides compare with conventional pesticides?

A recent study compared the effectiveness of a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture versus a synthetic pesticide, imidan. Rotenone and pyrethrin are two common organic pesticides; imidan is considered a "soft" synthetic pesticide (i.e., designed to have a brief lifetime after application, and other traits that minimize unwanted effects). It was found that up to 7 applications of the rotenone- pyrethrin mixture were required to obtain the level of protection provided by 2 applications of imidan.

It seems unlikely that 7 applications of rotenone and pyrethrin are really better for the environment than 2 applications of imidan, especially when rotenone is extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic life.

It should be noted, however, that we don't know for certain which system is more harmful. This is because we do not look at organic pesticides the same way that we look at conventional pesticides. We don't know how long these organic pesticides persist in the environment, or the full extent of their effects.

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.

WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD THIS BEFORE?
For obvious reasons, organic farmers have done little, if anything, to dispel the myth that "organic = chemical/pesticide-free". They would only stand to lose business by making such a disclosure.

Pesticide manufacturers have little concern in the matter. To them, "synthetic pesticides sold" and "organic pesticides sold" are both "pesticides sold".

As for conventional farmers, they are not really in a position to be critical. It would not be in their interest to draw attention to chemical and pesticide use.

Pestcides in Organic Farming

You don't realize there is a difference between mass produced organics and locally grown organics? I happen to personally KNOW the person that grows these vegetables and sells them at the farmers market.

She recommends this book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slug-Bread-Beheaded-Thistles-Housekeeping/dp/0767905423"]Slug Bread and Beheaded Thistles: Amusing & Useful Techniques for Nontoxic Housekeeping and Gardening[/ame]

:lol::lol: what?

As Naziistic?

Dude, not wanting pesticide on your food is naziistic? I think you're pretty politically unhinged and need to quit partisanship. It's getting cloudy upstairs.

It's Limbaugh-ese.....I used to travel about an hour and a half a day, and for shits and giggles, I'd listen to his show....He brings this crap up continually.....and he calls everyone a Nazi....the feminazis, the organic food Nazis, etc....

It's so easy to spot....sometimes I think I should still listen to him and get a head start on the topic of the day here on the USMB.

Leave it up to neo-tards to attack inanimate objects like organic food.

Once again, this is like the 10th Necon flame thread today. How many Liberal ones has there been?

:lol:

Organic food no healthier than non-organic: study - Yahoo! News Canada

Hmmmm, so liberals you're "science" is not rebuking the organic orgasm, so which is true? Organic is better or not? That's why I LOOOOOVE these studies

I'll still stick with my Organic food.

Not much of a fan of pesticide in my veggies. :lol:

Unless you grow them yourself or know the person that does, organic still uses pesticides. Pesticides that have not been tested to see how they affect the environment, researchers haven't bothered.

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.[/quote]

Forum List

Back