Organic Food

Leave it up to neo-tards to attack inanimate objects like organic food.

Once again, this is like the 10th Necon flame thread today. How many Liberal ones has there been?

:lol:

liesmatters must not be up yet. ...... give her time.

Why I choose locally grown organics:

1. Pesticides. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em.

2. Fuel Efficiency. No big trucks needed to haul my veggies from one place to another...just ride down to the local Farmers Market and I'm filling up on clean, fresh produce that will support my LOCAL economy.

3. It's good for my planet.

Shows how absolutely mind boggling organic food producers have tricked the public. Organics do use pesticides. Here ya go.

ORGANIC PESTICIDES VERSUS SYNTHETIC PESTICIDES
Clearly, the less we impact our environment, the better off we all are. Organic farming practices have greatly advanced the use of non-chemical means to control pests, as mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, these non-chemical methods do not always provide enough protection, and it's necessary to use chemical pesticides. How do organic pesticides compare with conventional pesticides?

A recent study compared the effectiveness of a rotenone-pyrethrin mixture versus a synthetic pesticide, imidan. Rotenone and pyrethrin are two common organic pesticides; imidan is considered a "soft" synthetic pesticide (i.e., designed to have a brief lifetime after application, and other traits that minimize unwanted effects). It was found that up to 7 applications of the rotenone- pyrethrin mixture were required to obtain the level of protection provided by 2 applications of imidan.

It seems unlikely that 7 applications of rotenone and pyrethrin are really better for the environment than 2 applications of imidan, especially when rotenone is extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic life.

It should be noted, however, that we don't know for certain which system is more harmful. This is because we do not look at organic pesticides the same way that we look at conventional pesticides. We don't know how long these organic pesticides persist in the environment, or the full extent of their effects.

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.

WHY HAVEN'T WE HEARD THIS BEFORE?
For obvious reasons, organic farmers have done little, if anything, to dispel the myth that "organic = chemical/pesticide-free". They would only stand to lose business by making such a disclosure.

Pesticide manufacturers have little concern in the matter. To them, "synthetic pesticides sold" and "organic pesticides sold" are both "pesticides sold".

As for conventional farmers, they are not really in a position to be critical. It would not be in their interest to draw attention to chemical and pesticide use.

Pestcides in Organic Farming

You don't realize there is a difference between mass produced organics and locally grown organics? I happen to personally KNOW the person that grows these vegetables and sells them at the farmers market.

She recommends this book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slug-Bread-Beheaded-Thistles-Housekeeping/dp/0767905423"]Slug Bread and Beheaded Thistles: Amusing & Useful Techniques for Nontoxic Housekeeping and Gardening[/ame]

A book? That's ambitious of you to think they would read. :lol:

Shows how absolutely mind boggling organic food producers have tricked the public. Organics do use pesticides. Here ya go.

Pestcides in Organic Farming

You don't realize there is a difference between mass produced organics and locally grown organics? I happen to personally KNOW the person that grows these vegetables and sells them at the farmers market.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slug-Bread-Beheaded-Thistles-Housekeeping/dp/0767905423"]Slug Bread and Beheaded Thistles: Amusing & Useful Techniques for Nontoxic Housekeeping and Gardening[/ame]

Something printed that generates income?? You lefties are so brain dead, you expect others to do your research for you then you believe everything they say.

My link is from the University of Berkly in California. Ignore all you want, pay more for the same things that contain chemicals that can damage the water supply. Matters not to me, I was just trying to show you that buying organic may not be better for you unless you grow it yourself without genetically engineered seeds.

Ii have my own garden and grow most of my own veggies, organically, without any pesticides. I know what's in my soil and ground water. :)

Oh please organic food people are almost as nazistic as vegans, which is just a bunch of crap.
Ojk so people in their 20s are getting more cancer? from organic food? or is it cell phones? or is it too much tv? or is it pollution?

:lol::lol: what?

As Naziistic?

Dude, not wanting pesticide on your food is naziistic? I think you're pretty politically unhinged and need to quit partisanship. It's getting cloudy upstairs.

It's Limbaugh-ese.....I used to travel about an hour and a half a day, and for shits and giggles, I'd listen to his show....He brings this crap up continually.....and he calls everyone a Nazi....the feminazis, the organic food Nazis, etc....

It's so easy to spot....sometimes I think I should still listen to him and get a head start on the topic of the day here on the USMB.

Sorry man, but show me the huge cancer rates of people in their 20s due to pesticides. These are the same people that author studies that say cell phones cause cancer, chlorine causes cancer, accrylymide causes cancer, it's all bs....................so is wine good for you or bad? i've heard it gives you cirrhosis on one hand, but may help with heart attacks, based on "studies" (hint studies are not hard science and they go back and forth all the time, I love to make fun of liberal "Science", I'll stick with real science the non political kind that doesnt have an agenda like gravity)

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.[/quote]

I am not even going to try and figure out what you are trying do with the quote system there...

I can tell you that the most common organic pesticides are ones using organic plant oils (not, isolated or manufactured chemicals). This process of maintaining the original structure of the compound makes it easily metabolized (in turn, neutralized) by the plant and the beneficial bacteria in the soils. A commonly used organic pesticide used by our local vendor is something called neem oil.

Think of it like a gentle pesticide, the repels bugs (vs. killing) and actually bio degrades, rather than nuke the soil everything around it.

Bah.. EVIL organic Liberal chow!!

Slug Bread and Beheaded Thistles: Amusing & Useful Techniques for Nontoxic Housekeeping and Gardening

Something printed that generates income?? You lefties are so brain dead, you expect others to do your research for you then you believe everything they say.

My link is from the University of Berkly in California. Ignore all you want, pay more for the same things that contain chemicals that can damage the water supply. Matters not to me, I was just trying to show you that buying organic may not be better for you unless you grow it yourself without genetically engineered seeds.

Ii have my own garden and grow most of my own veggies, organically, without any pesticides. I know what's in my soil and ground water. :)

It makes them feel good like they're doing something important and it also makes them feel smarter, but come to find out all the crap they heard was well just crap.

When you look at lists of pesticides allowed in organic agriculture, you find warnings such as, "Use with caution. The toxicological effects of [organic pesticide X] are largely unknown," or "Its persistence in the soil is unknown." Again, researchers haven't bothered to study the effects of organic pesticides because it is assumed that "natural" chemicals are automatically safe.[/quote]

I am not even going to try and figure out what you are trying do with the quote system there...

I can tell you that the most common organic pesticides are ones using organic plant oils (not, isolated or manufactured chemicals). This process of maintaining the original structure of the compound makes it easily metabolized (in turn, neutralized) by the plant and the beneficial bacteria in the soils. A commonly used organic pesticide used by our local vendor is something called neem oil.

Think of it like a gentle pesticide, the repels bugs (vs. killing) and actually bio degrades, rather than nuke the soil everything around it.

Bah.. EVIL organic Liberal chow!!

I'm very familiar with Neem oil, can you point me to the actual research that shows it's safe and won't contaminate the ground water??

I'm very familiar with Neem oil, can you point me to the actual research that shows it's safe and won't contaminate the ground water??

It doesn't. No research needed.

It is biodegradable, UV rays break it down and whatever is left is metabolized by the natural mycorrhiza in the soil. Long before it would ever be able to make it down into the water table.

Also, in addition, most neem is applied as a foliar spray. Directly on the leaves and fruit of the plant, not a soil drench.

Kind of simple, I use it myself as well.

There has also been some interesting research suggesting that the types of bacteria that inhabit the soil around the plants actually give the plant a "natural" resistance to bugs like white flies and various mites. Our local supplier here uses a combined approach with neem and soils supplemented with additional mycorrhiza. He practices the "feed the soil, not the crop" mindset when it comes to foods.

It is biodegradable, UV rays break it down and whatever is left is metabolized by the natural mycorrhiza in the soil. Long before it would ever be able to make it down into the water table.

Also, in addition, most neem is applied as a foliar spray. Directly on the leaves and fruit of the plant, not a soil drench.

There has also been some interesting research suggesting that the types of bacteria that inhabit the soil around the plants actually give the plant a "natural" resistance to bugs like white flies and various mites. Our local supplier here uses a combined approach with neem and soils supplemented with additional mycorrhiza. He practices the "feed the soil, not the crop" mindset when it comes to foods.

Ok, you're right I'm wrong. The H*ll with research. Who needs it, right??

Ok, you're right I'm wrong. The H*ll with research. Who needs it, right??

Stop being so lazy.. You sound like a Liberal.

Google it, you will see tons of info about neem.. It is pretty obvious that it is biodegradable. It also has 0 bio accumulation.

Do you have trouble understanding what biodegradable means? Here: "capable of being broken down especially into innocuous products by the action of living things (as microorganisms)"

Apply directly to forehead.

Last edited:
From the article:
According to United States Department of Agriculture standards, organic farms have to avoid the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics. Organic livestock must also have access to pastures during grazing season.
Pesticides are sprayed onto the food then you eat it. How is that good?

Grass fed Beef ensures that you're not eating GMO corn fed beef. Farmers fatten their cows and pigs and chickens with corn, most of it GMO. What do you think eating that stuff does to you? Answer: It fattens YOU up and ruins your health!

It makes them feel good like they're doing something important and it also makes them feel smarter, but come to find out all the crap they heard was well just crap.

Again.... have you ever done a side by side tasting?

For me...its all about the taste and depth of flavorof some of the organic products that you just cant beat.

For me...its all about the taste and depth of flavorof some of the organic products that you just cant beat.

Syren, I grow my own veggies, can and freeze them for the year. I even dehyrate peppers and tomatoes. We have blueberry bushes, apple trees, muscadine vines and fig trees. There is a huge difference in the taste but not because they don't use pesticides, it's because most organic farms are much smaller and you pay for the cost of the individual care. I assure you my veggies are tastier than any store bought organic. Even as careful as we are, I have to sometimes resort to bug control, the aphids will destroy a pepper plant in a hurry. All I ever use is homemade insecticidal soap and if necessary a product called Organicide made from sesame oil. It's edible, I could cook with it if it didn't smell like fish. LOL

We eat wild turkey, fresh caught fish from a private lake, venison and chicken and eggs from a neighbor. Can't get much more organic than that. :lol:

They are deceiving you with "organic" and better, you're paying a lot more, too.

Last edited:

Syren, I grow my own veggies, can and freeze them for the year. I even dehyrate peppers and tomatoes. We have blueberry bushes, apple trees, muscadine vines and fig trees. There is a huge difference in the taste but not because they don't use pesticides, it's because most organic farms are much smaller and you pay for the cost of the individual care. I assure you my veggies are tastier than any store bought organic. Even as careful as we are, I have to sometimes resort to bug control, the aphids will destroy a pepper plant in a hurry. All I ever use is homemade insecticidal soap and if necessary a product called Organicide made from sesame oil. It's edible, I could cook with it if it didn't smell like fish. LOL

We eat wild turkey, fresh caught fish from a private lake, venison and chicken and eggs from a neighbor. Can't get much more organic than that. :lol:

I hate you biatch!!!! I am just green with jealousy!!! :tongue:

Oh i agree....and that was what i was asking about taste testing. I know for many things the taste and flavor of "organic" products is far superior to mass produced.

Ever try populating your garden with ladybugs and praying mantises? We can get them our our garden store.....

Oh i agree....and that was what i was asking about taste testing. I know for many things the taste and flavor of "organic" products is far superior to mass produced.

Ever try populating your garden with ladybugs and praying mantises? We can get them our our garden store.....

use earthworms to give the ground more nutrients?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.organicgardening.com%2Flearn-and-grow%2Funderstanding-earthworms&ei=2z1GUJT3CJGI6AHs5oH4Cw&usg=AFQjCNHU-5Rhqs8fjUPhvZBSu5Ckbs27HA

Yep, we did that last spring, the white flies were horrible. Those were some hungry ladybugs!! Didn't get rid of all of them but made them much more manageable. We just shared the garden with the lady bugs and white flies.

We generally have praying mantis' around here but I haven't seen any this year. :confused:

use earthworms to give the ground more nutrients?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.organicgardening.com%2Flearn-and-grow%2Funderstanding-earthworms&ei=2z1GUJT3CJGI6AHs5oH4Cw&usg=AFQjCNHU-5Rhqs8fjUPhvZBSu5Ckbs27HA

Yes, earthworms give the garden lots of nutrients and they also help keep the soil loose. Worm beds also make for lots of fun with the grandkids when it's time to go fishing. :)

Sorry, I think we're messing with the op............back to your regularly scheduled program.

I know everyone wants to believe organic is better for you but organic doesn't always mean "organic". Local is best, it's even better if you know the farmers. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back