Oregon Labor Union Wants Voters to Limit Grocers to Two Self-Checkout Stations Per Store

Local WallyWorld used to have 15 registers, 2 self checkout lanes.

hadn't gone in in a while, and needed a few items not available anywhere else in town, so I went in.

now there are 2 lanes with cashiers, the rest are self checkout.

I'm not being paid to cashier, so I get in the long lanes with cashiers.

Same as I do at any other store with self checkout.

shame I can't do the same at the gas station

Over at the Wal Mart I go to, it's pretty much the same. The aisle where you can buy tobacco products is manned, and usually only 1 other lane has a checkout person. The rest are all self checkout.

I thought that these big corporations were supposed to use their tax breaks to hire more people, not automate their stores and cause people to lose jobs.

Who the hell shops at Walmart? You want service go to a mom and pop, you'll pay a little more and get a great shopping experience. To hell with big box stores.

I shop at Wal Mart for things like groceries and drinks. If I need to buy something that is hardware related, I go to Sutherland's (which is close to my house), which is a mom and pop hardware store. If I need something bicycle related, I go to several local bike shops, and all are locally owned and operated.

Yes, I do support stores other than Wal Mart.

So, the union want stores to raise their prices. No wonder non-union stores are doing better.

I don't use the self checkout. I go to the same store and know everybody who works there basically. So, I enjoy the casual conversation while they're ringing me up. Usually I'm bagging.

Local WallyWorld used to have 15 registers, 2 self checkout lanes.

hadn't gone in in a while, and needed a few items not available anywhere else in town, so I went in.

now there are 2 lanes with cashiers, the rest are self checkout.

I'm not being paid to cashier, so I get in the long lanes with cashiers.

Same as I do at any other store with self checkout.

shame I can't do the same at the gas station

Over at the Wal Mart I go to, it's pretty much the same. The aisle where you can buy tobacco products is manned, and usually only 1 other lane has a checkout person. The rest are all self checkout.

I thought that these big corporations were supposed to use their tax breaks to hire more people, not automate their stores and cause people to lose jobs.

Who the hell shops at Walmart? You want service go to a mom and pop, you'll pay a little more and get a great shopping experience. To hell with big box stores.

I shop at Wal Mart for things like groceries and drinks. If I need to buy something that is hardware related, I go to Sutherland's (which is close to my house), which is a mom and pop hardware store. If I need something bicycle related, I go to several local bike shops, and all are locally owned and operated.

Yes, I do support stores other than Wal Mart.

I refuse to shop at Walmart, I hate impersonal big ugly box stores, I hunt around for local stores for groceries. I shop local, that is the only way.

One thing I'm really tired of, though, are these plastic bags blowing all over my property. Try chasing one of those down in the wind. Pffft. Then they get hung up in your flowers and plants and whatnot, too. Really an eye sore when you get home and see that nonsense.

Apparently, people don't tend to bag their recycleables, so they just put it all in the recycle can and the minute it gets lifted by the recycle truck, it's blowing everywhere.

I live in a red right to work state, automated checkout stations are very common.

They very common in Pennsylvania as well as Ohio, two states with compulsory unionism

Yeah no shit, my point being unions are not the reason why automation is rising.

Well you have a point head.

Let's recap the OP shall we

1. The Unions fought for a higher minimum wage in Oregon

2. Stores started to automate more

3. Unions said "oh shit" and shouted "racism "

4. Unions decided to try to get a ballot passed to limit automation and force employees to pay a higher wage.

What a bunch of clowns, they wanted a higher minimum wage and they got it

I swear the left wants to drag us back into the 1770's

What's next outlawing the computer?

The wheel?

Oregon Labor Union Wants Voters to Limit Grocers to Two Self-Checkout Stations Per Store

By Kelsey Harnisch |
Published September 4 at 8:07 PM
Updated September 4 at 8:07 PM

Oregonians rarely pump their own gas. One of the state's most powerful labor unions wants to make sure they don't bag their own groceries.

A ballot initiative petition headed to the Oregon Attorney General's Office would limit the number of self-checkout stations to two per store.

The Oregon AFL-CIO labor union will be submitting "The Grocery Store Service and Community Protection Act" to the attorney general for approval Thursday. From there, the union would need to gather 112,020 signatures for it to be added .

The proposed ballot initiative would ask voters to require grocers to employ human checkers, not robots.

"The widescale use of self-checkout machines in our state's grocery stores is part of a deliberate corporate strategy that relies on automation to reduce labor costs and eliminate jobs," Oregon AFL-CIO President Tom Chamberlain said in a statement.

The authors of the initiative petition cite several reasons automated checkout machines are a detriment to Oregon communities, including contributing to social isolation, eliminating jobs and disproportionately impacting people of color.

"Because people of color are overrepresented in cashier position, which is the lowest paid position in retail businesses, the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color," states the act.
But you are ok with trump playing around with tariffs to bring jobs back? Both are government meddling.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

Oregonians rarely pump their own gas. One of the state's most powerful labor unions wants to make sure they don't bag their own groceries.

A ballot initiative petition headed to the Oregon Attorney General's Office would limit the number of self-checkout stations to two per store.

The Oregon AFL-CIO labor union will be submitting "The Grocery Store Service and Community Protection Act" to the attorney general for approval Thursday. From there, the union would need to gather 112,020 signatures for it to be added .

The proposed ballot initiative would ask voters to require grocers to employ human checkers, not robots.

"The widescale use of self-checkout machines in our state's grocery stores is part of a deliberate corporate strategy that relies on automation to reduce labor costs and eliminate jobs," Oregon AFL-CIO President Tom Chamberlain said in a statement.

The authors of the initiative petition cite several reasons automated checkout machines are a detriment to Oregon communities, including contributing to social isolation, eliminating jobs and disproportionately impacting people of color.

"Because people of color are overrepresented in cashier position, which is the lowest paid position in retail businesses, the increasing use of self-service checkouts has a disproportionate negative impact on people of color," states the act.
But you are ok with trump playing around with tariffs to bring jobs back? Both are government meddling.

What does that have to do with unions trying to drag us back into the year 1651?

Unions wanted a higher minimum wage in Oregon and they got what they wished for.

Guess like normal they were to stupid to figure out they would lose jobs.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

What does that have to do with unions trying to drag us back into the year 1651?
Both are government meddling. You are ok with one but not the other? Both are government trying to bring jobs back.

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

Both are government meddling. You are ok with one but not the other? Both are government trying to bring jobs back.

One is domestic, one is foreign ...you do know the difference right?

The wheel?

By Kelsey Harnisch |

One is domestic, one is foreign ...you do know the difference right?

Yet the results are similar. Trump tries to help the steel industry and now they have layoffs. If you are against one you should be against both,

Forum List

Back