Oprah left Trinity United because of Wright

Wright retired in the last year. Obama's been listening to his sermons for twenty years. Obama NOW claims he would have left if Wright hadn't retired. Funny...it took him twenty years to make that claim, AFTER Wright had retired.

Wright actually said it best, Obama is a politician. He'll say whatever it takes to win. Change you can believe in? Don't make me laugh.

The tenor of the original post seems to be that we should trust Oprah's judgment for leaving the church, but not her judgment in endorsing Barack Obama.

She was there since 1984. She was there over 20 years as well. By the way, as your article cites, she didn't leave ONLY because of Wright.

No, read again. She left the church in 1986, and only visted a few times during the 90's. It said she hasn't been since the 90's.

No, read again. She left the church in 1986, and only visted a few times during the 90's. It said she hasn't been since the 90's.

Ah sorry. I made the mistake of believing you when you said she left 2 years ago. Won't happen again.

But she still endorses Obama, who continued to attend long after she stopped, which is bad - is that correct? She also took God out of the box, which is like totally groooooooovy. :rofl:

Wright retired in the last year. Obama's been listening to his sermons for twenty years. Obama NOW claims he would have left if Wright hadn't retired. Funny...it took him twenty years to make that claim, AFTER Wright had retired.

Wright actually said it best, Obama is a politician. He'll say whatever it takes to win. Change you can believe in? Don't make me laugh.

Why don't you leave the Wright thing alone? Is that the only thing you have that can help McCain win? If it is, give it up.

no no this is about the power of hillary's judgement...ya know voting for the war...being in favor of nafta and then against it...being level headed when landing under sniper conditions...knowing woman who died because a hospital didn't provide treatment...oh and not being a pandering politician who'll support a gimic gas tax...

Why don't you leave the Wright thing alone? Is that the only thing you have that can help McCain win? If it is, give it up.

I'm actually a huge Clinton supporter. I've voted Democratic my entire life. But if Obama wins this nomination, I will be voting for, rallying for, and hoping for a McCain Presidency.

Obama will ruin this country.

I'm actually a huge Clinton supporter. I've voted Democratic my entire life. But if Obama wins this nomination, I will be voting for, rallying for, and hoping for a McCain Presidency.

Obama will ruin this country.

If you trust Clinton's judgment, and she knows both candidates personally, will her endorsement mean anything to you?

If you trust Clinton's judgment, and she knows both candidates personally, will her endorsement mean anything to you?

Absolutely not. I trust my own judgment. I'm not like these fickle-minded people who need an endorsement from someone else before they decide they like a candidate. That's absurd.

I said four years ago I would vote for McCain if he ran for President, I just never thought Clinton would actually run as well.

Because Oprah doesn't agree with Wright.
Obama does.

Wrong, again. What you say about the Rev. Wright issue says more about you than Obama.

Intelligent adults can listen to differing and even conflicting viewpoints without a problem. Idiots and children cannot. Republican John Dean has explored the traits of social conservatives that explain why they differ from rational people on this issue. They have an entirely different reaction to authority figures (including preachers) than normal people. They are mentally incapable of understanding how an intelligent man like Obama can listen to Wright without agreeing with him, because this is foreign to the limited workings of their own minds.

If you have any appetite for self-reflection, read John Deans's article, Why Authoritarians Now Control the Republican Party: The Rise of Authoritarian Conservatism. Here are a few key passages:

These, of course, are followers. Altemeyer labeled these people "right-wing authoritarians" not because he was looking to target political conservatives, but rather because he was drawing broadly on the historical terms that identify those who openly submit to established authorities, and whether those authorities are political, economic or religious, those who submit to them are traditionally described as being on the right wing. As Altemeyer developed and refined his testing, however, it became apparent that those who tested as highly submissive to economic or religious authorities also proved to be hard-right political conservatives.

In addition to being especially submissive to established authority, Altemeyer's research revealed that those he calls right-wing authoritarians also show "general aggressiveness" towards others, when such behavior is "perceived to be sanctioned" by established authorities. Finally, these people are always highly compliant with the social conventions endorsed by society and established authorities. These basic traits, submissiveness to authority and conventionality, are the essence of those Altemeyer describes as right-wing authoritarians. If these traits are not present in some significant (albeit varying) degree, he does not consider the subject to be a right-wing authoritarian. However, these people can, and often do, consistently reveal they have many other interesting traits as well.

Based on Altemeyer's study, as well as those of other social psychologists, I prepared a list of the additional traits that these personalities, both men and women who test high as right-wing authoritarians, often evidence: highly religious, moderate to little education, trust untrustworthy authorities, prejudiced (particularly against homosexuals, women, and followers of religions other than their own), mean-spirited, narrow-minded, intolerant, bullying, zealous, dogmatic, uncritical toward their chosen authority, hypocritical, inconsistent and contradictory, prone to panic easily, highly self-righteous, moralistic, strict disciplinarian, severely punitive, demands loyalty and returns it, little self-awareness, usually politically and economically conservative/Republican.

Wrong, again. What you say about the Rev. Wright issue says more about you than Obama.

Intelligent adults can listen to differing and even conflicting viewpoints without a problem. Idiots and children cannot. Republican John Dean has explored the traits of social conservatives that explain why they differ from rational people on this issue. They have an entirely different reaction to authority figures (including preachers) than normal people. They are mentally incapable of understanding how an intelligent man like Obama can listen to Wright without agreeing with him, because this is foreign to the limited workings of their own minds.

If you have any appetite for self-reflection, read John Deans's article, Why Authoritarians Now Control the Republican Party: The Rise of Authoritarian Conservatism. Here are a few key passages:

ad hominen...

it amazes me how so many on the left want to brush wright under the carpet and how the left demonizes those who question obama's judgment on attending this racist church for twenty years. you seem to only allow opinions if they suit your agenda. why is it you cannot accept the fact that people are entitled to judge obama based on attending a racist church for twenty years? why is it you have to insult those people and claim that their opinions and judgment about obama are wrong and "idiot/child" like? it is clear that it is YOU who cannot stand differing viewpoints. a classic case of a myopic person who is so insecure that he feels it necessary to bash any opinion that does not comport with his own.

if a white candidate's pastor said that blacks are evil and should be slaves you would be frothing at the mouth and so would all the left wing media. obama proudly claims his "judgment" will make him a better president....yet, he waits for two decades to condemn his spiritual advisor only after his spiritual advisor would not be silenced.

In another post, you took me to task because I did not dispute your point sooner. yurt, yurt, yurt, . . . Am I safe in claiming that you agree with Dean's characterization of the right-wing extreme because you didn't challenge it?

apples and oranges

is that all you have...a cute alteration of my post? i can't believe you actually have the idea that you are intelligent and that you intimidate others intellectually

Forum List

Back