Open letter to Romney from Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs..

How many of those attending college are getting degrees in anything that
may actually help them get a job?.....

We need more people going into Trade jobs.

We currently have in excess of 3 million high tech jobs waiting to be filled in the US. Since we have become so anti-education, there is no one with the training and education to be qualified for these jobs.

Mittens has said he will fill them from China. Obama has said we need better educated teachers and better education in order to compete with other countries.

In China and India (possibly other places as well), the state supports education. From very early on, they teach their children to speak other languages, including English. We are dead set teaching our children to speak other languages so college grads are not qualified for jobs where other languages are used. We want it that way. Just as the R.

The GObP/pub/pot race to the bottom continues.

10 Most Needed Jobs in the Future | eHow.com

Here a list, lots of fields that need filling. Doctors is a huge issue. We need more doctors, badly.

Interesting that all of those require an education.

Doctors are not needed nearly as much as ancillary personnel. That will continue to be the big issue because it makes so much more sense to treat patients with a team approach. That is one reason why universal health care is so successful in countries with far better health care than we have.

Mike Rowe is absolutely correct. The political elite has looked down their noses at occupations that do not require a college degree, and the consequences are that they have made those occupations unappealing to young people. A sign of failure in life. Yet, those are the jobs that provide for a good living for many families, and very often satisfaction and happiness in life.

You rarely hear any politician talk about the working class, unless they are union members, and only then to get the money that the union bosses hand out.

We currently have in excess of 3 million high tech jobs waiting to be filled in the US. Since we have become so anti-education, there is no one with the training and education to be qualified for these jobs.

Mittens has said he will fill them from China. Obama has said we need better educated teachers and better education in order to compete with other countries.

In China and India (possibly other places as well), the state supports education. From very early on, they teach their children to speak other languages, including English. We are dead set teaching our children to speak other languages so college grads are not qualified for jobs where other languages are used. We want it that way. Just as the R.

The GObP/pub/pot race to the bottom continues.

You might not believe it, but most high tech jobs don't require a college degree. This can be easily demonstrated by the fact that Gates, Jobs, Zuckenberg, and quite a few other people who are giants in the tech industry never graduated from college.

I am highly skilled in many areas. But when I apply for positions with companies they are turned off by my age. Don't tell me they are looking for skilled people,they want, young skilled people.

You are 100% correct about this. There are many kids in high school who have not clue what they want to do, and they are not the best students, but they are not dumb. They just aren't real big on hitting the books as they are more hands on types. We have always had people who did well working with their hands. Now we try to send them to college and they either never finish or end up with a degree in political science. And yes I'm making fun of people with political science degrees because they are worthless and can only be used as a stepping stone to an advanced degree. On their own, they are a waste of time. Of course there are many other degrees that are pretty much useless.

Here's something to think about though; kids who wanted to start working and didn't want to go to college would go to the local union to become an apprentice and then move full-time into the union after being trained. We have done everything possible to destroy the unions or to at least destroy the image of the union. We need these unions to attract young people and train them and get them ready to replace those who are retiring. These are good jobs, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc...

i agree but they don't want to. Here in Ohio we have 30k trade jobs just sitting here.
Drugs and lack of education are the main reasons why they are not being filled.

Many craftsman I talk to say that many of the young people that they attempt to hire and train have no work ethic. They don't show up half the time, when they do, they have an attitude, and they spend half their time on their cell phones.

And they don't understand when they are told not to come back.

i agree but they don't want to. Here in Ohio we have 30k trade jobs just sitting here.

Many craftsman I talk to say that many of the young people that they attempt to hire and train have no work ethic. They don't show up half the time, when they do, they have an attitude, and they spend half their time on their cell phones.

Yup...and while I do spend a lot of time on my phone, id love a job like that...well when I needed one. You can't blame either side for lazy.

Yup...and while I do spend a lot of time on my phone, id love a job like that...well when I needed one. You can't blame either side for lazy.
your work ethic sucks you expect others to except it. I like to take you back the 30's were issues were settle...how shall i say with your fists. I think that would take care of your problem that the world owes you a living.

In this life, you can not get something for nothing without karma bite back.

I work with business owners every day, and you're exactly right. The rise of our entitlement culture has seeped into the workplace. It's been stunning to sit there day after day and have business owners tell me they can't find people. With an 8%-plus unemployment rate. They look like they've been hit by a freaking truck, they can't explain it.

Forum List

Back