Only in New York

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
We all know what it means when someone points to a wacky law, like the San Francisco city ordinance that guarantees sunshine, and think "Only in California. It seems that New York has gotten tired of this, and wants to make sure people associate wacky with a visit to the Big Apple.

It seems that birdbaths are now illegal in everyone's favorite traffic jam.

Imagine Joseph Pomares’s surprise when he went to his local post office in Long Island City, Queens, one Saturday last summer to collect a certified letter. He had no idea what awaited him, but the last thing he expected to find was a summons from the city’s health department.
The summons referred to a two-story brick house in Astoria that Mr. Pomares, a 53-year-old home renovation contractor, had recently refurbished and rented to tenants. Titled “vector control inspection work order,” the citation accused him of violating what appeared to be a paradoxical imperative: “standing water” in a birdbath. The violation of Article 151 of the city’s health code could subject him to a $2,000 fine.
“I bought the birdbath brand new. I thought I was doing something good, and I changed the water every other day,” Mr. Pomares recalled. “I had beautiful birds.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/23/n...-fight-west-nile-virus.html?_r=2&ref=nyregion

I can't wait for the first time someone gets an order from the city to drain standing water, and another order from the EPA to put it back for violating the federal Clean Water Act.

Just in case anyone thinks the OP is a one off, let me point out that NYC is also home to the conflicting policies where the health department hands out condoms, and the police then seize them. I wonder, do they give them to the health department to hand out again, thus saving taxpayers a few dollars, or do they keep them for their own use.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/n...nd-taking-away-condoms.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

Only in New York

In Texas.........

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home

A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit

It is illegal to milk another person's cow

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster

It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday

It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts

Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator

It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo

You can ride your horse in the saloon

Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights

Dumb Texas Laws

FYI.......Every state has some weird assed laws.....

Makes sense to me, dittohead...the rest of the story, for non morons:

During mosquito-breeding season, from April to October, standing water on the ground, in roof gutters, on swimming pool covers and in discarded tires, among other places, can violate Article 151, which covers pest prevention and management. Health officials said the 699 summonses issued last year was about average.

In a city where Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has all but banned smoking and waged war on soda and trans fats, some New Yorkers may complain that the crackdown on birdbaths is yet another intrusion by the nanny state or a ruse to raise more money for municipal coffers.

Actually, a regulation against stagnant water has been on the books for more than a decade, but in the battle against West Nile virus, the health code was amended last year. It explicitly made landlords liable and applied the rule, apparently more broadly, to “standing water” rather than “stagnant water” and further empowered the department not only to prevent “the breeding or harborage” of mosquitoes, but also to prevent “conditions conducive” to their breeding or harborage.

As a result, one creature’s beverage can be another’s breeding ground. Dimitri Gatanas, an owner of the Urban Garden Center in East Harlem, said, “When there’s a mosquito issue, someone gets nervous and files a complaint.”

One solution is to buy a birdbath that circulates the water. Some nurseries sell pellets that John Razzano of Market Garden Center in Brooklyn says “kill the mosquito larvae, but don’t hurt the birds.”

Mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus lay their eggs in standing water...

In Texas.........

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home

A city ordinance states that a person cannot go barefoot without first obtaining a special five-dollar permit

Dumb Texas Laws

How many people have been fined over them? Dumbass.

Just in case anyone thinks the OP is a one off, let me point out that NYC is also home to the conflicting policies where the health department hands out condoms, and the police then seize them. I wonder, do they give them to the health department to hand out again, thus saving taxpayers a few dollars, or do they keep them for their own use.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/n...nd-taking-away-condoms.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

Only in New York

They use them themselves. There are a lot of New Yorkers to screw.

You're probably a selfish, oblivious, careless Pub dupe or bought off Pub a-hole if you enjoy your stagnant water West Nile mosquito breeding ground.

Good law, chumps....

In Texas.........

Dumb Texas Laws

They don't piss around with puny fines in Texas. They ARREST the criminal bastards!!

Lawrence v. Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But never mind what the SCOTUS said. The GOP down there is STILL after those immoral gays and their supporters....

"We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy," the GOP platform reads. Meaning that even though the U.S. Supreme Court overturned sodomy laws last decade (ironically in a case that stemmed from Texas), Texas Republicans would like the state to have the power to criminalize LGBT folks for having sex.

"We support legislation that would make it a felony to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple and for any civil official to perform a marriage ceremony for such," reads the GOP platform.

The Texas GOP Wants To Punish Straight People Who Support Gay Rights? | Change.org News

In Texas.........

Dumb Texas Laws

Every state still has some old, absurd blue laws on the books. The difference is those are no longer enforced. That is not the case with the OP's story, so I'm not entirely sure what point you were trying to make.

They don't piss around with puny fines in Texas. They ARREST the criminal bastards!!

But never mind what the SCOTUS said. The GOP down there is STILL after those immoral gays and their supporters....

"We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy," the GOP platform reads. Meaning that even though the U.S. Supreme Court overturned sodomy laws last decade (ironically in a case that stemmed from Texas), Texas Republicans would like the state to have the power to criminalize LGBT folks for having sex.

"We support legislation that would make it a felony to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple and for any civil official to perform a marriage ceremony for such," reads the GOP platform.

The Texas GOP Wants To Punish Straight People Who Support Gay Rights? | Change.org News

This does not address your examples in the list. You're attempting to change the subject.

This does not address your examples in the list. You're attempting to change the subject.

That's because he's an idiot.

In Texas.........

Dumb Texas Laws

Every state still has some old, absurd blue laws on the books. The difference is those are no longer enforced. That is not the case with the OP's story, so I'm not entirely sure what point you were trying to make.

Ya know I just ran into the absurd--not once, but twice--from leftists on this board, both of whom went off on loony tangents in pms and even subtracted rep from me for simply expressing an opinion contrary to their own, which is something leftists do around here, apparently. Initially, it appears to me that all DaGoose was doing was highlighting the absurd, not making a literal, absolute comparison. Just adding some color to the thread.

Now his wondering off into gay land is a distraction to be sure, and I certainly don't agree with his politics, but Rabbi's calling him a dumbass with regard to the initial post is uncalled for.

Franco points out that the matter goes to the well-known heath hazards associated with standing water, but to bar birdbaths outright, rather than simply require sensible, basic maintenance, is boorishly heavy-handed, as it treats responsible citizens with contempt.

I have a birdbath in both my yards--front and back. They are rigged with fresh-water-replacement devices.

But, of course, anyone who disagrees with Franco must be a "selfish, oblivious, careless Pub dupe".

The civlity on this thread, over friggin' birdbaths, no less, is overwhelming.

Last edited:

Only in New York

I seriously doubt the SF Board of Supervisors, as nutty as some of them are, ever passed such an ordinance. Please post it (if it exists) for a good laugh. Anyone who knows The City knows the fog greets the morning, leaves during most summer days and returns for dinner.

NY Cops taking condoms from citizens without a warrant or probable cause of a crime in progress is highly unlikely. Maybe some of the thousands of NY Cops are social Conservatives and feel they are above the law, but I doubt it is the policy of the agency. Post proof and I'll offer my mea culpa.

Last edited:

Only in New York

I seriously doubt the SF Board of Supervisors, as nutty as some of them are, ever passed such an ordinance. Please post it (if it exists) for a good laugh. Anyone who knows The City knows the fog greets the morning, leaves during most summer days and returns for dinner.

NY Cops taking condoms from citizens without a warrant or probable cause of a crime in progress is highly unlikely. Maybe some of the thousands of NY Cops are social Conservatives and feel they are above the law, but I doubt it is the policy of the agency. Post proof and I'll over my mea culpa.

There is a "Sunshine Ordinance" but not exactly with the implication given. The ordinance guarantees "sunshine" meaning open meetings of public officials. In other places it's called "Blue Sky".
So SF is still a whacky place, but this isnt really an example of it.

Makes sense to me, dittohead...the rest of the story, for non morons:

During mosquito-breeding season, from April to October, standing water on the ground, in roof gutters, on swimming pool covers and in discarded tires, among other places, can violate Article 151, which covers pest prevention and management. Health officials said the 699 summonses issued last year was about average.

In a city where Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has all but banned smoking and waged war on soda and trans fats, some New Yorkers may complain that the crackdown on birdbaths is yet another intrusion by the nanny state or a ruse to raise more money for municipal coffers.

Actually, a regulation against stagnant water has been on the books for more than a decade, but in the battle against West Nile virus, the health code was amended last year. It explicitly made landlords liable and applied the rule, apparently more broadly, to “standing water” rather than “stagnant water” and further empowered the department not only to prevent “the breeding or harborage” of mosquitoes, but also to prevent “conditions conducive” to their breeding or harborage.

As a result, one creature’s beverage can be another’s breeding ground. Dimitri Gatanas, an owner of the Urban Garden Center in East Harlem, said, “When there’s a mosquito issue, someone gets nervous and files a complaint.”

One solution is to buy a birdbath that circulates the water. Some nurseries sell pellets that John Razzano of Market Garden Center in Brooklyn says “kill the mosquito larvae, but don’t hurt the birds.”

Mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus lay their eggs in standing water...

Do you understand that standing water does not equal mosquito? California has huge tracts of standing water, they put guppies in it to eat the mosquitoes. That makes the Democrats in California smarter than the Republican mayor of New York city, who you are defending.

Franco points out that the matter goes to the well-known heath hazards associated with standing water, but to bar birdbaths outright, rather than simply require sensible, basic maintenance, is boorishly heavy-handed, as it treats responsible citizens with contempt.

I have a birdbath in both my yards--front and back. They are rigged with fresh-water-replacement devices.

But, of course, anyone who disagrees with Franco must be a "selfish, oblivious, careless Pub dupe".

Franco is just a troll who likes to say those things to rile people up. Most of us here just ignore him.

Do you understand that standing water does not equal mosquito? California has huge tracts of standing water, they put guppies in it to eat the mosquitoes. That makes the Democrats in California smarter than the Republican mayor of New York city, who you are defending.

Bloomberg is an independent.

He was originally a Democrat, then ran on the GOP ticket, then abandoned that after a term to be an independent.

The one constant though is that he a law-breaking dooshbag.

Only in New York

NY Cops taking condoms from citizens without a warrant or probable cause of a crime in progress is highly unlikely. Maybe some of the thousands of NY Cops are social Conservatives and feel they are above the law, but I doubt it is the policy of the agency. Post proof and I'll over my mea culpa.

You seriously doubt that the Board of Supervisors ever passed a dumb law?

I posted a link to a New York Times story. about the police taking condoms from people suspected of prostitution. If you have a problem with the story, feel free to do your own research and post anything you find that proves me wrong. It isn't like I posted a link to World Nut Daily with the story, my source is generally considered credible.

Forum List

Back