one nation, under god

I consider it improbable that time/matter/energy/space came into existence out of nothing and has formed all these complex but beautifully organized rules and patterns without having been created.

Ergo, I believe in God.

Then I get caustically questioned "well, then where did GOD come from?"

And the answer is: "How the fuck should I know?"

I bring up percentage because there are no rights involved specifically regarding the Pledge, the National Anthem, or the flag, therefore the majority preference should determine whether such customs are followed or not. There is no federal mandate that the Pledge be recited or the flag displayed or the National Anthem played in the public schools. It is a preference for each school board or local community whether such traditions are followed or not.

Incorrect.

It is very much a First Amendment issue:

Whether the First Amendment to the Constitution will permit officials to order observance of ritual of this nature does not depend upon whether as a voluntary exercise we would think it to be good, bad or merely innocuous. Any credo of nationalism is likely to include what some disapprove or to omit what others think essential, and to give off different overtones as it takes on different accents or interpretations. [n14] If official power exists to coerce acceptance of any patriotic creed, what it shall contain cannot be decided by courts, but must be largely discretionary with the ordaining authority, whose power to prescribe would no doubt include power to amend. Hence, validity of the asserted power to force an American citizen publicly to profess any statement of belief, or to engage in any ceremony of assent to one, presents questions of power that must be considered independently of any idea we may have as to the utility of the ceremony in question.

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette

There are other ways than legislative mandate to compel students to recite a pledge; the very purpose of such pledges is to demonstrate that one is a ‘loyal citizen,’ where those who refuse to conform in good conscience are consequently, and inappropriately, held suspect.

I don't care how a student views courtesy. If a student does not wish to be courteous to others, then that student should be educated someplace that does not require courtesy.

Such a punitive measure is clearly un-Constitutional per Barnette and subsequent case law; citizens who refuse to conform may not be simply ‘shipped off’ to some lesser venue where they’re less likely to ‘offend.’

A tyranny of an angry, intolerant minority should not be able to deprive the majority of a custom that violates nobody's rights but is meaningful and important to that majority.

All are subject to the rule of law, whether majority or minority; majorities do not determine who will and who will not have his rights. As the Court observed in Lawrence, that something is a ‘custom,’ or otherwise approved by the majority is irrelevant and carries no weight when considering the proper application of Constitutional principles :

[T]he fact that the governing majority in a State has traditionally viewed a particular practice as [appropriate] is not a sufficient reason for upholding a law [compelling] the practice; neither history nor tradition could save [such a law] from constitutional attack.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

THAT is why I continue to bring up percentages. When a majority of the people do not want to recite the Pledge, salute the flag, or sing the National Anthem, those customs and traditions will be gone. It is as simple as that. Until then, those of you who don't appreciate the custom suck it up or go somewhere else to be educated.

What a remarkably arrogant, un-Constitutional, and ignorant sentiment – the depth of conservative authoritarianism is breathtaking, and the right’s contempt for the rule of law is comprehensive.

Maybe the anti-patriots, Atheists, and similar types could start their own charter school and be as non traditional as they wish?

Perhaps the authoritarian right should abide the tenets of the Constitution, and understand that all Americans are free to attend any school they wish, and to say the pledge or not, free from coercion or disapproval.

The poster clearly advocates a religious segregation of the schools, where those who refuse to conform are relegated to a separate and unequal status.

We the People...do ordain and establish...

Do any of these religious zealots understand the meaning of those words?

Do they understand that those words are a direct refutiation of theocracy?

I consider it improbable that time/matter/energy/space came into existence out of nothing and has formed all these complex but beautifully organized rules and patterns without having been created.

Ergo, I believe in God.

If time/matter/energy/space cannot come into existence out of nothing, then why would you believe that God can come into existence out of nothing?

If God can always exist, then why can't time/matter/energy/space?

Ergo, I believe in God.

If time/matter/energy/space cannot come into existence out of nothing, then why would you believe that God can come into existence out of nothing?

time/matter/energy/space did exist before God. That doesn't mean jack. God turned that into solar systems, planets and life.

Ergo, I believe in God.

time/matter/energy/space did exist before God. That doesn't mean jack. God turned that into solar systems, planets and life.

Good. Now I know for sure there was a G-d and that there was an existence before that G-d.

What a day it's been. :lol:

bush_satan_worship.jpg

220105sign2.jpg

Several More: Here He is
The implication in this collection of images is difficult to dismiss. I'll bet William Blatty and William Friedkin (The Exorcist) could do something very interesting with it. And if done carefully there would be no risk of legal damages.

Some people are just plain stupid.

Hook 'em Horns is the slogan and hand signal of The University of Texas at Austin.

Hookemhorns.jpg
It also is an identifying gesture common to satanic cultists.

So its a "He"? Are you an adherent to any particular religion?

"He" is the traditional pronoun that those of the JudeoChristian faith use for the "Father God" of the Old and New Testaments. But intellectually, God is spirit and therefore unencumbered by gender.

And I am a Christian with allegiance to no particular denomination. I was rasied Methodist, have attended, worked with, and worshipped with Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Roman Catholics, and other, and was an active member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) most of my adult life, mostly because of the intellectual freedom that particular group afforded me, and I am currently an active member of a non denominational congregation.

Does it matter?
ummm..... yes. :eusa_doh: That makes your opinion subjective. :eusa_whistle:

And your's somehow isn't??? Okay... :lol:

So its a "He"? Are you an adherent to any particular religion?

"He" is the traditional pronoun that those of the JudeoChristian faith use for the "Father God" of the Old and New Testaments. But intellectually, God is spirit and therefore unencumbered by gender.

And I am a Christian with allegiance to no particular denomination. I was rasied Methodist, have attended, worked with, and worshipped with Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Roman Catholics, and other, and was an active member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) most of my adult life, mostly because of the intellectual freedom that particular group afforded me, and I am currently an active member of a non denominational congregation.

Does it matter?
ummm..... yes. :eusa_doh: That makes your opinion subjective. :eusa_whistle:
And I didn't even suggest that belief in God has anything to do with how patriotic someone is. My point was that, when nobody's unalienable rights are involved, an intolerant minority should not be able to deny customs and traditions that the majority wants to observe.
as I said earlier, you have the other 16 hrs of the day to trumpet from the rooftops your belief in a deity. Don't do it on the gov't dime.

Ah, I see. In your opinion, only those who are not adherent to a particular religion are capable of being objective? (I'm not going to hold my breath while you invent a rationale for that. :))

And thank you for your profound generosity that would allow me to exercise my unalienable rights to my beliefs for 16 hours a day. I would like to see your rationale for denying me those rights for the other 8 hours.

The implication in this collection of images is difficult to dismiss. I'll bet William Blatty and William Friedkin (The Exorcist) could do something very interesting with it. And if done carefully there would be no risk of legal damages.

Some people are just plain stupid.

Hook 'em Horns is the slogan and hand signal of The University of Texas at Austin.

Hookemhorns.jpg
It also is an identifying gesture common to satanic cultists.

Yea Bush is into satanic cults. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back