One & Done: A Sports Abomination

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The one-game Crash&Burn of the Pirates' 2014 season profoundly illustrates the folly of a one-game playoff in Baseball. The KC-Oakland debacle tells the same tale.

Baseball is not like other sports. Each team is almost completely re-constituted with each starting pitcher and the pitcher on the other side. With Steve Carlton on the mound, the 80's Phillies were a powerhouse; with anyone else, they were a laughingstock. In competitive football and basketball, the better team generally wins every game. In baseball, even the worst teams win 1/3 of their games and the best teams lose 1/3 of their games. Its the remaining third - tested over a long season or a substantial playoff - that determines which is the better team. A one-game playoff determines only that on that particular day, with those pitchers and under those circumstances, one team won a game. In short, it means next-to-nothing. In no way can it be even proposed that a single game determines which of the two teams is the better, or more deserving, team.

Baseball went too far when it added the second wildcard team. With a single wildcard, you had a playoff between the Division Champion with the worst record playing against the non-champion with the best record. It served the (sort of) legitimate purpose of preventing an excellent team from being frozen out of the playoffs simply because it had the bad luck of being in a superior division.

A "playoff," by definition is intended to determine which of the two teams is the better team. The One&Done in MLB does not do that and it is a sports abomination. It needs to be killed.

The one-game Crash&Burn of the Pirates' 2014 season profoundly illustrates the folly of a one-game playoff in Baseball. The KC-Oakland debacle tells the same tale.

Baseball is not like other sports. Each team is almost completely re-constituted with each starting pitcher and the pitcher on the other side. With Steve Carlton on the mound, the 80's Phillies were a powerhouse; with anyone else, they were a laughingstock. In competitive football and basketball, the better team generally wins every game. In baseball, even the worst teams win 1/3 of their games and the best teams lose 1/3 of their games. Its the remaining third - tested over a long season or a substantial playoff - that determines which is the better team. A one-game playoff determines only that on that particular day, with those pitchers and under those circumstances, one team won a game. In short, it means next-to-nothing. In no way can it be even proposed that a single game determines which of the two teams is the better, or more deserving, team.

Baseball went too far when it added the second wildcard team. With a single wildcard, you had a playoff between the Division Champion with the worst record playing against the non-champion with the best record. It served the (sort of) legitimate purpose of preventing an excellent team from being frozen out of the playoffs simply because it had the bad luck of being in a superior division.

A "playoff," by definition is intended to determine which of the two teams is the better team. The One&Done in MLB does not do that and it is a sports abomination. It needs to be killed.

Okay.

What's your suggestion as to how to fix it?

The single wildcard, and no real consequence for being the wildcard led to terrible division races, and tedious ends of seasons.

Considering the wild card is a modern invention, I see no issue historically or with regards to matters of fairness that it be a one and done game.

If you want to get to a series, win your division.

The single wildcard, and no real consequence for being the wildcard led to terrible division races, and tedious ends of seasons.

Considering the wild card is a modern invention, I see no issue historically or with regards to matters of fairness that it be a one and done game.

If you want to get to a series, win your division.
couldnt agree more.

The one-game Crash&Burn of the Pirates' 2014 season profoundly illustrates the folly of a one-game playoff in Baseball. The K-Oakland debacle tells the same tale.

actually baseball already went too far and ruined its credibility and the sport in 94 when they started that stupid three way wild card division race.that ruined and destroyed the game right there,they've just taken it a step further ruining it even worse with two wild card teams.

the wild card thing doesnt work in baseball like it does in football.dont follow basketball so cant comment on them.Baseball was the one sport left where they did it right and they had to go and ruin it.

It was nice the way it was,the one that wins the division gets to move on and everybody else goes home.thats the way it should be. I hated it when the red sox won their first world series because they didnt earn it.they backed into it by being allowed to finish second.

it pissed me off when they started that.the message they are sending now is its okay if you finish second,you dont have to be first ahead of everybody else.

Okay.

What's your suggestion as to how to fix it?
simple as pie,for baseball to have its credibility back,they need to go back to the way it used to be before the year 94 when they ruined it all.

get rid of that stupid three way wild card division race and back to where you win the division and get to move on where if you finish second,you have to stay home like everybody else.

but most importantly,stop paying all these players multi million dollar contracts to where they jump from one team to another.Had they given out all these multi million dollar contracts back in the 70's like they do now,no way would I have fond memories of george brett and frank white sticking with the royals their entire careers playing for one team their whole career. they would have jumped ship after 5 years or so like all players do now.

I cannot dispute that the number of teams making the playoffs makes the regular season less meaningful, but that's the fact in essentially all major sports now and it will never be rolled back. The point is that the second wildcard team was a huge mistake. There is simply not enought time on the calendar to play a series to determine who gets to go to the Division series, so they had to settle for one game - which is a farce.

Alternatively, have four divisions in each league and NO wildcards, but I actually think that 3 + 1 is better because, as I said above, it deals with the unfortunate situation where one division is loaded with good teams and one of them gets frozen out due to the luck of the draw.

My opinion is that free agency - along with its monstrous individual contracts - is a good thing. The players get what they are worth, and we, the fans, get to see how smart our team owners are. Do they waste tens of millions of has-beens and fakers, or do they do their homework and find players who can contribute, but don't cost an arm and a leg?

oh god,free agency with multi million dollar contracts was the worst thing to ever happen to the game. :rolleyes-41:the three way wild card division second worst.thats pretty much why i stopped paying any attention to the game after 94,thats when all these multi million dollar contrats along with that moronic three way wild card thing started.

well since you love those owners ruining the game with multi million dollar contracts to players so much ,i will laugh my ass off at you when you lose your starting catcher next year to that freaking free agency and have a losing season next year.

Hurdle is the best there is in the business at turning losing organizations around like the pirates,but he's no miracle worker.enjoy going back to your losing ways you've enjoyed the past 20 years before hurdle turned them around.

again the wildcard being made back in 94 was a huge mistake and a farce.:rolleyes-41:

Last edited:
One of the Sports Zombies where I work is a long time Pirates "fan" and didn't show up to work today.

Cheer a team all year, they make the playoffs and what do they do? They don't score a single run. What the f*ck was that all about? Why bother?

I didn't watch it but the highlights of that other game were pretty good, whoever the f*ck it was that played.

I'm supposed to be a long time Angels fan but I lost interest after they won the Series and Troy Glaus ended up on that Steroid list. It was both anticlimactic and disappointing.

The journey was much more fun than the destination.

I bet you loved it last season.

It's called a wild card. It's exciting and gives 2 other teams in a 30 team league the chance of making the playoffs.

The solution to the wild card is really, really simple. Win your division.

oh god,free agency with multi million dollar contracts was the worst thing to ever happen to the game. :rolleyes-41:the three way wild card division second worst.thats pretty much why i stopped paying any attention to the game after 94,thats when all these multi million dollar contrats along with that moronic three way wild card thing started.

well since you love those owners ruining the game with multi million dollar contracts to players so much ,i will laugh my ass off at you when you lose your starting catcher next year to that freaking free agency and have a losing season next year.

Hurdle is the best there is in the business at turning losing organizations around like the pirates,but he's no miracle worker.enjoy going back to your losing ways you've enjoyed the past 20 years before hurdle turned them around.

again the wildcard being made back in 94 was a huge mistake and a farce.:rolleyes-41:
Maybe so, but it sure has produced some great postseason baseball. And it produced a team that has 2 world championships and not a single division title ever.

I thought the One&Done was stupid last year, too.

Free agency has balanced the 'equities' between the owners and the players.

Those old enough to remember will recall that baseball player contracts used to contain what was referred to as a "reserve clause," which in substance provided that if a player could not negotiate an acceptable contract with his own team, THAT TEAM COULD PREVENT HIM FROM PLAYING ANYWHERE ELSE!

This gave the Owner's an incredible lever to use against players, and even though they were "well paid," the Owners were making a killing - and denying it to their dying breath.

In fact, the Supreme Court essentialy gave MLB monopoly power which would have been illegal in any other business context. It was the threat of losing this legal monopoly that drove the owners eventually to allow for a modified version of free agency (they can "own" the players for a couple years at the beginning of their careers).

So the players got free agency and the Owners are still making money hand over fist. Whooda thunkit?

Keep in mind that EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES, except someone under contract, IS A COMPLETELY FREE AGENT, and able to sell their effort to any possible employer for the best price they can, at any time. Why should baseball players be any different?

I personally stand in an astounded stupor when I see what people pay to go to baseball (and football and hockey and basketball) games these days. I have a household income that's in the top couple percent nationally but I don't feel like I can afford to go to more than a couple games a year. Where people find the money is a mystery to me.

To watch adults playing a child's game. It's amazing.

Clint Hurdle is a phenomenon. He balances two competing challenges better than anyone in the game. He frequently makes tactical decisions that are obviously stupid, in order to show his players that he supports them.

He will allow a hitter to swing away when the situation SCREAMS for a bunt or sacrifice. He will continue to use relief pitchers when they are obviously not competent to get the job done, just to show them that they are valued. It drives the knowledgeable fans crazy. I can't count the times when the Pirates have started off an inning in a close game with a runner on second base, and the inning ends with him still standing out there with his finger up his ass, because Hurdle refused to advance him with a bunt or sacrifice. And he stayed with Jason Grilli as closer long after he had lost his MoJo.

So he loses some games that he should win, but the players play their asses off for him, which steals a few games that they might have lost.

But as with Billy Martin, this can only go on so long. He will wear out his welcome in 2015 or '16, and go someplace else to do the same thing.

Maybe so, but it sure has produced some great postseason baseball. And it produced a team that has 2 world championships and not a single division title ever.
it takes away the enjoyment of it all for me.

as much as i would love to see the royals win the world series and i now think they have an excellent shot at it,the victory will be tainted for me if they do because i will know deep down in my heart that just like the red sox did when they won their first world series in several decades,like them they will also not have earned it because they also will have backed into it.

it just wont feel right knowing that they have been told its okay to finish second now and still move on.again if they win it all,i just cant get excited about it like i did in 85 when they EARNED it.:mad: so if they go to the world series,i think i'll just watch that 85 series and if they win,i'll just pretend its the 85 royals now winning it all.thats the only way i could feel good about it is convincing myself of it that way.

You guys realize that you are having this huge discussion on baseball....right?

I mean, its baseball. Do people actually care about it?

You guys realize that you are having this huge discussion on baseball....right?

I mean, its baseball. Do people actually care about it?

just because YOU dont care about baseball doesnt mean many others dont.well I stopped caring about it in the 90's when that fucking moronic three way wild card came into play and when the owners ruined the game giving out multi million dollar contracts to players so now the majority of them just play the game for the love of the money instead of the love of the game like they did prior to that which is why you dont see players finish their entire careers with one team anymore anymore.

which is why I pretty much am looking to find playoff games from the past them being the only ones that ever interet me anymore.

I was going to reply, but after six edits, I realized I just don't care enough.

Enjoy.

something i just noticed about you DGS.its funny how last year when the pirates WON their one and done playoff game against the reds,we heard no complaints from you back then about the one and done wild card.

Now that they have lost,all of a sudden your whining about it and its all of a sudden a bad idea.

can you say hypocrite? :rolleyes-41:

I heard one of the talking heads on ESPN agreeing with me the other day (I think it was one of the Braves ex-pitchers). His take on it was that everyone in MLB knows that the One&Done is ridiculous, but it generates money due to more teams being "in the playoff hunt" until the last day of the season.

His prediction was that one of these days one of the Big Money teams (Dodgers, Yankees) is going to have a 90+ win season, then get knocked out in a One& Done...and then it will be killed.

Dumb idea. On steroids.

Forum List

Back