One central lie of ObamaCare: Stuff is cheaper elsewhere in the USA

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
In pushing his agenda to nationalize healthcare, Obama and his minions often cited discrepancies in costs of procedure in different counties in the USA and I think I just found out why the same procedure would cost more and why doctors in certain counties would run more tests.

"Of all the malpractice trials in the United States last year, nearly 50% of them were against surgeons and other doctors representing only 75 of the largest counties in the United States. This is according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, which is a very good source. This shows that the main problem of these suits is in the most densely populated areas of the country which is where the most income is generated. This can't be a coincidence that the more money there is to be made from these suits the more lawsuits there will be.

Another 33% of the malpractice trials in the United States last year was against non surgical physicians in the 75 largest counties in the country. Adding these two numbers together you get 83% of all medical malpractice suits in the United States last year was against only 75 counties. There are literally thousands of counties in the United States."

Malpractice - Medical Malpractice Statistics

Oh, and while we're on the topic. Obama talked up the Cleveland Clinic

"if we didn't have the tort reform law in Ohio I'd take (the case ) it in a minute. It's just too expensive to take on a case like this because you literally have to prove it before you walk into the courtroom, The most you can get is $250,000.00 and by the time we do our research and get all the records and get the experts you might wind up with $5000.00."

I did not know that...

File under: "I did not know that"

"Medical malpractice claims are filed nearly ten times less frequently in Great Britain than they are in America. Compared to American patients, the British patients normally adopt a less adversarial stance towards medical malpractice."

Medical Malpractice - Is The Nhs The Worst Offender?

File under: "I did not know that"

"Medical malpractice claims are filed nearly ten times less frequently in Great Britain than they are in America. Compared to American patients, the British patients normally adopt a less adversarial stance towards medical malpractice."

When your bank accounts aren't being sucked dry to pay for medical care there's considerably less incentive to try to sue your doctor... just something to think over. I would wager the vast majority of malpractice lawsuits in the US are at least partially motivated by the need to recoup an exorbitant cost of treatment that simply doesn't exist in many other nations.

Forum List

Back