On the Past Days

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Where are the Libertarians? I don't feel at home with the GOP.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7185555/#050324

2. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    "Just to let you know - this conservative Republican, who has never voted for a Democrat... will probably start doing so - against my financial interests I might add - solely because of the Schiavo action by Congress."

Eh, sorta like burning your house down to get rid of an ant colony eh? This will be a non issue in a month or two, almost totally forgotten by '06.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I think he's wrong, we'll see.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    She will not be with us, that is true. As I've written previously, I think there were legitimate questions for the family, I know I would have had them if that were my sister, based upon all we have heard about her husband. I think this is so sad, but some version of it is worked on by states and families every day, not to this degree of course.

The issue of government interference though, will NOT be gone. Eh, it's been with us since the inception. It seems the GOP right now is falling into triangulating itself right into becoming the Democratic Party, perhaps throwing some democrats temperorialy I'm sure, into Republican positions. :rolleyes: I can't believe this has happened in less than 6 months from the election.

Same thing with the steroids, though it would certainly be tough to get worked up about rich ballplayers, the very idea that hearings on such with attendant grandstanding were being held while there are serious problems with war, gas prices, inflation creeping, etc., does not bode well to me.

5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Ah, well - I guess we can't agree on everything, huh? :) But, I don't think any rational states-rights advocate has ever said that federal intervention is ALWAYS a bad thing. There's intervention and there's intervention. Sixty years of bastardizing the Constitution in the name of an elitist social agenda is one thing; raising jurisdictional questions in a due process matter involving life and death is quite another. I don't think the wheels are coming off the conservative revolution just yet.

Ah, but Major League Baseball doesn't mind government interference while their sport is enjoying anti-trust exemption, do they? No, I'd have to say that baseball is a special case. Since, A) they are national in scope, playing in - what - 27 differerent U.S. cities?, B) they have shown a consistent inability or unwillingness to police themselves, and C) whether we like it or not, these sociopathic ingrates are heroes and role models to our kids, something has to be done. If not the federal government - who?

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Well as you say, we can't agree on everything. I think the wheels are flat right now and too few are even noticing. It's a sort of 'the Emperor has no clothes thing.' Doing the same wrong things as have been done, is not going to fix the problem. If the feds really thought that the state of Florida has bad law, then they should have taken them to court on constitutional grounds, but that would take time, time Terri didn't have. On the other hand, that would be a replication of Roe V Wade, which may well get overturned one day, since the law overstepped in taking away state's rights. Not only words, but logic too matters.

Well in my opinion, the feds could find a way to fine them right out of existence, if the MLB is not following the law. As far as the anti-trust, again that was bad law, so now we want this government to compound the mistakes?

Regarding the whole issue of role models, I would disagree that a ball player is a hero, I would say that parents should read what is going on and take their kids to watch some of the minor league games, where they'll save a ton of $, the kids will get autographs, and they'll see a decent game.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The Feds were asked to step in and revue the case--------they upheld the State Court rulings EVERYTIME and in this manner confirmed the rights of states to handle these affairs. There may have been a problem if something was overturned but it ain't gonna happen. I agree with Theim---when Terris' gone the only issue left will be living wills and the right to die discussions. I predict no politicl fallout.

8. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Right now we can only guess. I can tell you this much for certain - you can number me among those who staunchly supported Republicans in the past but now I'm beginning to view them with ever increasing skepticism.

I believe that if the Republicans continue to act as arrogantly as they currently are, there will be hell to pay in 2008. 59 million people came out to support conservative views and defeat the record number of libs - both living and dead - who came to the polls in '04. If the Republican party fails to live up to the trust and expectations of those 59 million voters, then not a single lib will have to show up at the polls in '08 because Republicans will be thrown out into the street by their own constituency.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I disagree on this one. I think you're going to see the libs jumping all over this one. Republicans acted inappropriately and with no regard for the Constitution or the courts. They trampled all over state's rights. The meddled in a court case in the most inappropriate ways conceivable. First by stupid tricks, inventing a bogus investigation which made Terri Schiavo "evidence". When that didn't fool anyone, they passed a law which applies to only one person.

No, this won't be forgotten. I won't forget it - ever. And you can bet your last dollar that the Democrats are going to remind the country of this episode so long and so loud that it will make your ears bleed.

Republicans are going to pay a huge price for this.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Lots of links to dirty tricks:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001850.htm