On the Past Days

Mr. P said:
Most of em...just watch.
Heard a poll this a.m. 82% of those polled said they didn't think the Congress had any business in this case..only 13% did.
From the voting results in 2004, I would suggest the GOP may have pickedup that 13%..If their smart they'll Dump em fast..
A snap poll like that doesn't necessarily indicate that they would dump the republican party entirely--looks like we more in danger of conservatives of jumping ship because of this terrible intrusion into states rights.

dilloduck said:
Voters in the last election were very clear in saying that morality and values were the #1 reason they voted for Bush. They didn't care that we again went to war WITHOUT a declaration by congress,which is contrued by many as the executive branch over stepping it's powers---are you sure the people are that interested in the separation of powers?

Dillo, your guess is as good as anyone else's. I can only speak for myself. I am extremely hostile to any political trickery which subverts the Constitution. I know that I will not forget what the Republicans have done over the last two weeks.

theim said:
"Just to let you know - this conservative Republican, who has never voted for a Democrat... will probably start doing so - against my financial interests I might add - solely because of the Schiavo action by Congress."

Eh, sorta like burning your house down to get rid of an ant colony eh? This will be a non issue in a month or two, almost totally forgotten by '06.

I am a Conservative Libertarian that votes Republican when I believe there is a chance for the Democrat to win. If the Party keeps ignoring my values to promote this kind of thing it is more likely that I will vote Libertarian regardless. You will never find me voting for a Democrat though. If enough people vote Libertarian it still takes the votes from the Republicans without having to overthrow your own beliefs in order to make your point.

Any Libertarian that says they would vote for the Dem is no Libertarian IMO.

Merlin1047 said:
Dillo, your guess is as good as anyone else's. I can only speak for myself. I am extremely hostile to any political trickery which subverts the Constitution. I know that I will not forget what the Republicans have done over the last two weeks.

Time will tell----right now I see more conservatives pissed about than liberals. I guess the question is where will these disgruntled conservatives throw their support. Guess that they could just not vote but do they feel so angry that they would risk the return of liberal power?

So Democrats have used the Congress, the judicial system, ect, for years in numerous ways to effect people and issues that should be left up to the states...but the Republicans (with NUMEROUS Democratic votes, mind you) decide to intercede in the Shiavo case NOT by saying that a feeding tube should be re-inserted, NOT by saying that the FL legislature was wrong, NOT by saying that guardianship should be transferred, but ONLY by saying that Judge Greer did not examine the wide variety of information that presently exists on the case (i.e. numerous board-certified, nationally respected neurologists that disagree with the original doctor, sworn affidavits from nurses that state that Terri would have been, and was before her husband stopped it, improving through rehabilitation, etc.) and therefore the court should take another look at the case fresh, with all the information (not by a judge who sits on the board of the hospice Shiavo is in, along with Michael Shiavo's lawyer), and that Terri Shiavo, the actual person being ruled on, should have legal representation that is not interested in earning money from either Michael Shiavo or the Schindler family.

And THAT is too much for you...THAT decision...that a court should look at ALL the information...is enough to make you vote Democrat...

Give me a break.

I don't think that this is the Congress's, FL, Bush's, Michael Shiavo's, Judge Greer's, the nations finest hour...but to make this action some sort of monstrous Republican power snatch is nonsense. It has been sickly fascinating to watch people scurry around trying to think of nasty names for the Republicans who are simply acting the way we have been shown our government works for decades...while giving a pass to everything else sordid that has surrounded this case.

Perhaps we should show equal concern for the fact that the Executive AND Legislative Branch issued a completely legal decision about something and the Judicial branch (not even the Supreme Court, which was smart and correct to stay out of this) simply thumbed its nose at the ruling. But people are too busy at a completely legal ruling by the Congress to get upset about the fact that we have one branch of our government completely disregarding the balance of power....and its NOT the Republican controlled Congress.

Gem said:
Perhaps we should show equal concern for the fact that the Executive AND Legislative Branch issued a completely legal decision about something and the Judicial branch (not even the Supreme Court, which was smart and correct to stay out of this) simply thumbed its nose at the ruling. But people are too busy at a completely legal ruling by the Congress to get upset about the fact that we have one branch of our government completely disregarding the balance of power....and its NOT the Republican controlled Congress.

The federal judiciary did nothing wrong. The District Court entertained the motions of the Schindlers, pursuant to the bill passed by Congress and signed by the President, and rejected them. There was nothing wrong with that.

Gem said:
So Democrats have used the Congress, the judicial system, ect, for years in numerous ways to effect people and issues that should be left up to the states...but the Republicans (with NUMEROUS Democratic votes, mind you) decide to intercede in the Shiavo case NOT by saying that a feeding tube should be re-inserted, NOT by saying that the FL legislature was wrong, NOT by saying that guardianship should be transferred, but ONLY by saying that Judge Greer did not examine the wide variety of information that presently exists on the case (i.e. numerous board-certified, nationally respected neurologists that disagree with the original doctor, sworn affidavits from nurses that state that Terri would have been, and was before her husband stopped it, improving through rehabilitation, etc.) and therefore the court should take another look at the case fresh, with all the information (not by a judge who sits on the board of the hospice Shiavo is in, along with Michael Shiavo's lawyer), and that Terri Shiavo, the actual person being ruled on, should have legal representation that is not interested in earning money from either Michael Shiavo or the Schindler family.

And THAT is too much for you...THAT decision...that a court should look at ALL the information...is enough to make you vote Democrat...

Give me a break.

Bullshit.

Spin it till you're dizzy for all I care if that makes you happy. I for one am sick of arguing this. The Republicans prostituted the Constitution and that is unforgiveable - period. Perhaps that's not one of your priorites, but it certainly is mine. And if you are incapable of seeing the harm and the danger in this situation, then I suspect it is simply that you are choosing to ignore the truth.

Next, kindly point to the passage where I said I'd vote Democrat. If you're going to engage in exaggeration, at least have something factual on which to base your inflated statement. Not voting for a Republican is not the same as voting for a Democrat - and please don't try to hand me any crap that it amounts to the same thing.

Then you resort to the same tired old trick of reversing blame. It was the Republicans in the House who attempted to foist a bogus "investigation" on the courts. If they feel that what they did has solid legal footing, then explain to me why there are no charges being filed against the trial judge who ignored this sleazy tactic. Your other assertion doesn't hold water either. Republicans attempted to bully the courts into a new trial. They don't have that authority. They ordered a federal judge to review the case. Some of those idiots thought they had the authority to order the federal judge to issue a directive to have the feeding tube reinserted. They bitched and moaned about wanting a quick decision. Then they got all livid because the judge wouldn't issue an immediate ruling. Now they're bitching that the judge denied their ruling after considering the case for "only and hour and a half".

As I see it, you are basing your opinions on your desire to save Terri Schiavo. While I have no criticism of that, I tend to believe that if saving Ms. Schiavo comes at the price of our Constitution, then the price is too high.

And now let's talk about why I'm not too happy with Pres. Bush. Certainly recent events have caused me some worry. But there are other considerations such as:

1. Lack of a coherent and effective energy policy. Continued degradation of the CAFE standards on American automobiles.

2. Unwillingness to get control of the illegal immigrant situation and the obvious conclusion that this continues at the behest of American employers who profit from paying substandard wages.

3. Unwillingness to address stem cell research question or to seek viable alternatives.

4. We're still in the UN.

5. What the hell was that European ass kissing festival all about?

6. Failure to control rampant spending, even when one does not consider the cost of the Iraq war.

I've got a few more, but those are the high points.

On balance, I still support Pres. Bush, but that doesn't mean that I approve of all of his policies. That doesn't mean that I won't consider voting for a third party candidate in the next election if the performance of the Republican party continues along the same lackluster record that they have amassed thus far. If you're comfortable with your blinders, that's your business. But don't criticize me for looking beyond party loyalties to assess a candidate or a President.

So there. :tng:

Bush's approval ratings seem to have taken a sharp tumble in recent days.

As I noted in yesterday's column, the latest CBS and Newsweek polls showed a sudden drop-off.

Now comes Gallup, finding the public's satisfaction with the president at an all-time low.

Bill Nichols writes in USA Today: "President Bush's approval rating has fallen to 45%, the lowest point of his presidency, according to a new USA Today/CNN/Gallup Poll."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A887-2005Mar25.html
Say what you will, but here's the first indication from the public at large (IMO) that W and the GOP made a major mistake.

BTW..have you noticed they seem to have backed off...Maybe they read the polls,
listen to the talks shows and I hope pay attention.

Merlin,

Spazz out all you want, I'm just as tired of this topic and the surrounding nonsense as you are. The only difference is, rather than the "blinders" you assume I'm wearing...I'm looking at ALL the issues and being intellectually honest about the state our nation is in at the moment..and what has brought us here...its not just this issue, Merlin...theres a history here that shouldn't be overlook, ignored, or...as so many seem to want to do...underplayed.

The "changing votes" comment was directed at the original article...the one that stated that the author was a Republican considering changing votes...sorry I didn't specify that, but I assummed that since no one else had discussed flipping from Rep. to Dem. they would be able to use a bit of deductive reasoning to conclude I was referring to the initial article, rather than your or anyone else's comments on their voting style. As a libertarian, I could give two shits about who you vote for...write in "Mickey Mouse," in 08 for all I care, Merlin.

Gem said:
Spazz out all you want,

Spazz out?? Who, me?? Surely you jest. I am always in complete and absolute control. :rolleyes:

But it does appear to me that you have recently attended and won a bitchiness contest. Heee heee.

:teeth: :teeth:

Mr. P said:
BTW..have you noticed they seem to have backed off...Maybe they read the polls,

Or, we could consider the glorious possibility that they did what they thought they had to do, morally and constitutionally - irrespective of polls - and now realize that they've exhausted their options.

musicman said:
Or, we could consider the glorious possibility that they did what they thought they had to do, morally and constitutionally - irrespective of polls - and now realize that they've exhausted their options.
Yeah, we could but this was politics and we ALL know better.

musicman said:

I agree. I wish they hadn't gone to the feds, but they did. Now, I'll pray for Terri and hope that FL addresses the problems with their laws.

Kathianne said:
I agree. I wish they hadn't gone to the feds, but they did. Now, I'll pray for Terri and hope that FL addresses the problems with their laws.
Is there something wrong with the Fla. law in this matter? I missed that.

Mr. P said:
Is there something wrong with the Fla. law in this matter? I missed that.

I really don't know Mr P. Seems to me the fact that her husband has moved on with his life, just seems he could have turned Terri over to her parents. Too much info, not enough facts I'm sure.

IF the story is right, Terri is clueless, if the parents will take care of her, what's the harm? IF she is not clueless, then not feeding her is barbaric.

Just never should have moved out of state parameters.

Kathianne said:
I really don't know Mr P. Seems to me the fact that her husband has moved on with his life, just seems he could have turned Terri over to her parents. Too much info, not enough facts I'm sure.

IF the story is right, Terri is clueless, if the parents will take care of her, what's the harm? IF she is not clueless, then not feeding her is barbaric.

Just never should have moved out of state parameters.

HELPPPPPP george has ruined the GOP

sorry just don't see the crisis

Forum List

Back