On Racism and Racial Discrimination

Thanks for opening up a substantive discussion
1. In your own word, how would you define racism and racial discrimination?
I define racism as actions or language with the intension of harming, oppressing, insulting, or demeaning a person or group of people solely based on their race.
2. Do you agree or disagree that racial discrimination is among the top three most serious social problems nowadays in America?
I think racial discrimination has been an ongoing problem for centuries but has come a long way in America. There is still plenty of progress to be made, however, I would name National Security, our Jobs/Economy, and Education as the top three most important issues... Followed closely by the Environment, a Corrupt political campaign system, and wealth inequality.
3. Do you agree or disagree that more laws and regulations should be enacted to protect people from racial discrimination?
There is a limit to what laws and regulations can accomplish and in many cases they can add fuel to the fire. So I would say No to your question. I would rather see funds and energy put into programs that support social acceptance and support. I think better education and community programs are the best way to promote a more accepting environment.

Thanks!
You are the first one who actually answered all the questions on my list!

A friend here just gave us a few examples of "nasty" comments against Asians.
When i was at school this guy used to say, "its a bit nippy" and rub his arms like it was cold, when an asian student was nearby. It was very white when i was akid so not many ethnics. It was pretty mean.
The other day i gave this drugo a lift. When someone drove badly he said, "he must have been asian because he doesnt see well". it wasnt that bad because it wasnt in earshot of an asian person. But after chuckling, i realized it wasnt nice and said nothing.
To some, the comments made in these examples may appear "insulting and demeaning". Would you use the word "racist" to describe those people in the examples? If not, why?

Clearly, you do not believe that racial discrimination is among the most important issues faced by America. However, you also suggested that there is plenty of progress to be made. What do you think is the most needed progress?

Lastly, what do you think about the affirmative actions (especially those supported by laws)? In particular, what is your take on affirmative actions with respect to education?
Thanks for opening up a substantive discussion
I define racism as actions or language with the intension of harming, oppressing, insulting, or demeaning a person or group of people solely based on their race.
2. Do you agree or disagree that racial discrimination is among the top three most serious social problems nowadays in America?
I think racial discrimination has been an ongoing problem for centuries but has come a long way in America. There is still plenty of progress to be made, however, I would name National Security, our Jobs/Economy, and Education as the top three most important issues... Followed closely by the Environment, a Corrupt political campaign system, and wealth inequality.
3. Do you agree or disagree that more laws and regulations should be enacted to protect people from racial discrimination?
There is a limit to what laws and regulations can accomplish and in many cases they can add fuel to the fire. So I would say No to your question. I would rather see funds and energy put into programs that support social acceptance and support. I think better education and community programs are the best way to promote a more accepting environment.

Thanks!
You are the first one who actually answered all the questions on my list!

A friend here just gave us a few examples of "nasty" comments against Asians.
When i was at school this guy used to say, "its a bit nippy" and rub his arms like it was cold, when an asian student was nearby. It was very white when i was akid so not many ethnics. It was pretty mean.
The other day i gave this drugo a lift. When someone drove badly he said, "he must have been asian because he doesnt see well". it wasnt that bad because it wasnt in earshot of an asian person. But after chuckling, i realized it wasnt nice and said nothing.
To some, the comments made in these examples may appear "insulting and demeaning". Would you use the word "racist" to describe those people in the examples? If not, why?

Clearly, you do not believe that racial discrimination is among the most important issues faced by America. However, you also suggested that there is plenty of progress to be made. What do you think is the most needed progress?

Lastly, what do you think about the affirmative actions (especially those supported by laws)? In particular, what is your take on affirmative actions with respect to education?
Whether a comment is racist or not isn't always "black or white" if I can use a punny term... I grew up with a diverse friend group comprised of many different races. Our close group with poke fun at each others race all the time but there was no intent of harm. We would use derogatory terms but laugh about it. Many comics use race as a central topic to their comedy. I don't think there is anything wrong with being able to laugh about the "bad" things in life as it helps people not take it so seriously.

We have one side of the country that is very Politically Correct and does not want to offend anybody and the other side that thinks people need to have a thicker skin and not make a big deal out of every comment. As far as I'm concerned, if I am saying or doing something that is offensive or harmful to somebody then it's on me to recognize that and make the change. On the flip side, some people are to quick to "play the race card" and inaccurately call people racist, especially in our political world.

As for racial areas that we still need to progress on... There is a lopsided bias or profiling in some communities between law enforcement and the Black population, this is what gave rise to the Black Lives Matter movement, this needs attention and is finally getting a voice. Also, with the rise of Isis and Islamic based Terrorist groups, there is a fear and divide against Muslim groups in this country... this can definitely be addressed. There are many other races and situations that are of issue, but i'm trying to keep this concise...

I'm not a fan of affirmative action and think we have moved beyond the need for it. Our country has thrived off the concept of competition and I think the most qualified should get the jobs/positions/acceptances and it should motivate everybody else to achieve a higher level. If anything regulatory was to be instituted I'd limit it to requiring schools or companies to take a diverse amount of applications or interviews before making the decision. This of course just causes more time and money to be spent and I don't know if it would produce worthy results to make it worth the effort.

More inclusive educational and community programs can help with acceptance and focus specific attention towards minority groups to provide them with resources, guidance, and funding to increase their opportunity. With more opportunity and support comes more success. With more education and diversity exposure comes more acceptance. The earlier we can expose our youth to these principles the more accepting future generations will become of all races.

Just today I was really nasty to a black girl at the grocery store. She got a black 'tude. I said " You are an enthusiastic, capable employee that loves her job."

She got the manager and told him that I called her a stupid, lazy nijjer bitch. Or, at least that's what she heard.

I have NFS screw them all.

Yeah she heard what I meant.
Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't find this thread and pollute a perfectly good conversation.

I'd like to have a discussion about racism with you guys, from a visitor's (I'm a Chinese visiting researcher) perspective. I am genuinely curious about how Americans think about the problem of racism. I have a short list of questions as a starter. I would appreciate it a lot if you could share rational and honest opinions.

The list of questions may grow slowly. Also, feel free to discuss other related questions/issues!

Racism is when people are judged/treated differently based on the superficial fact of their race .

I think its a huge problem in society and it affects many areas in our lives .

I do agree that more action is needed .

it isn't so much about quality, but I do think it is important that people immigrating to this country seek opportunity and contribute to our economy.
"Seek opportunity and contribute to our economy" is a little ambiguous to me.
What do you think is a "good-enough" contribution? Providing general labor? Having engineering/management skills? How would you define "seeking opportunity and making contribution"? Should a Cuban construction worker who genuienly wish to start his new life in the free world be allowed to immigrate to America?
I think anybody should be able to immigrate to America. To me a good enough contribution is anything that adds to the workforce and pays Taxes. I don't think people should immigrate and be on government assistance. I also don't think immigrants should be used to drive wages down. This makes a tricky situation as that Cuban construction worker is going to be much more willing to accept any position offered to him at a much lower wage as he is trying to get his foot in the door.

On one side it is good for the business owner who is looking for cheap labor but for our country and the American construction workers who are collecting unemployment checks and not highly motivated to get a new job until their government benefits run out... it creates an economic problem. All of these factors need to be considered when deciding on policy. I wish I had all the answers but my process involves recognizing all problems and factors so the proper solutions can be explored.

AA is bullsh#t. Higher education should be based on ethics/ability and merit NOT color.
If someone makes the following argument:

Certain group of people, e.g. the black, suffer from significantly lower level of education in an average sense. Consequently, they tend to be less successful and cause serious problems (e.g. crimes). If left unattended, the vicious cycle would continue and the situation get worse over time. Therefore, something has to be done to break such cycle. The most effective way of doing it is through better education, which cannot be offered to them if the criteria is solely merit-based.

Why is he wrong?
Tell you what YOU compare the Asian culture to the Negro here in America directly. Who is farther ahead? Asians.
Which is the less violent culture? Asians.
Who has better family structure? Asians.
Who has made more economic gains? Asians.

Who has been here longer? Negros.
Who has more AA? Negros.
What group has shown no willingness to educate themselves? Negros

So you tell me is your future and your countries future better spent and invested in which group?
If "Negros" as you say, are the problem then that is the group that needs the focused attention. The answer is better education and more support, resources, and opportunity. If you feel that they are the anchor slowing down the ship then why focus on making a better sail? Focus on pulling up the anchor and you are going to have a much better ride.

I'd like to have a discussion about racism with you guys, from a visitor's (I'm a Chinese visiting researcher) perspective. I am genuinely curious about how Americans think about the problem of racism. I have a short list of questions as a starter. I would appreciate it a lot if you could share rational and honest opinions.

The list of questions may grow slowly. Also, feel free to discuss other related questions/issues!

This is really not the place for legitimate research.

Besides, your methodology is flawed. You cannot gain a statistically valid sample from a static population in a message board. Further, you cannot develop a frequency in an unregulated environment due to the lack of exclusion. Any sample taken will be neither exhaustive nor exclusive.

Racism is a subset of bigotry. Bigotry is a fear of others who are different in some way. That fear may negatively influence our thoughts and feelings about them. Discrimination is when we act on those fears.

Discrimination is not always a conscious act. It is often subconscious. A person may believe they are operating free from prejudice, entirely unaware of how their rhetoric and behavior looks and sounds to a minority.

Since you added the "social" qualifier, I will agree racial discrimination is among the top three social problems. It is not among the top three problems our country currently faces, though. It may be in the top ten.

For someone in a minority, it probably is in one of their top three slots in the political, labor, and social categories.

Disagree. We have the necessary laws on the books. It's a matter of prosecutorial discretion at this point.

Some anti-discrimination laws are probably obsolete.

Last edited:

Besides, your methodology is flawed. You cannot gain a statistically valid sample from a static population in a message board. Further, you cannot develop a frequency in an unregulated environment due to the lack of exclusion. Any sample taken will be neither exhaustive nor exclusive.
It's a fine place to hear a diverse set of ideas and responses. You are correct that this sample group is flawed. I'd say this board is overwhelmingly right wing conservative and comprised of many extremists on both sides of the isle... The US population is much more moderate, uninformed, and objective than this board.

It's a fine place to hear a diverse set of ideas and responses. You are correct that this sample group is flawed. I'd say this board is overwhelmingly right wing conservative and comprised of many extremists on both sides of the isle... The US population is much more moderate, uninformed, and objective than this board.

My biggest issue is with socks. How many opinions will the hand behind the "Ravi/Valerie" sock (and not doubt others) give?

AA is bullsh#t. Higher education should be based on ethics/ability and merit NOT color.
If someone makes the following argument:

Certain group of people, e.g. the black, suffer from significantly lower level of education in an average sense. Consequently, they tend to be less successful and cause serious problems (e.g. crimes). If left unattended, the vicious cycle would continue and the situation get worse over time. Therefore, something has to be done to break such cycle. The most effective way of doing it is through better education, which cannot be offered to them if the criteria is solely merit-based.

Why is he wrong?
Tell you what YOU compare the Asian culture to the Negro here in America directly. Who is farther ahead? Asians.
Which is the less violent culture? Asians.
Who has better family structure? Asians.
Who has made more economic gains? Asians.

Who has been here longer? Negros.
Who has more AA? Negros.
What group has shown no willingness to educate themselves? Negros

So you tell me is your future and your countries future better spent and invested in which group?

Asians come from countries were they are programmed to not make waves . They come here and benefit from the black Americans fight against racism .

it isn't so much about quality, but I do think it is important that people immigrating to this country seek opportunity and contribute to our economy.
"Seek opportunity and contribute to our economy" is a little ambiguous to me.
What do you think is a "good-enough" contribution? Providing general labor? Having engineering/management skills? How would you define "seeking opportunity and making contribution"? Should a Cuban construction worker who genuienly wish to start his new life in the free world be allowed to immigrate to America?
I think anybody should be able to immigrate to America. To me a good enough contribution is anything that adds to the workforce and pays Taxes. I don't think people should immigrate and be on government assistance. I also don't think immigrants should be used to drive wages down. This makes a tricky situation as that Cuban construction worker is going to be much more willing to accept any position offered to him at a much lower wage as he is trying to get his foot in the door.

On one side it is good for the business owner who is looking for cheap labor but for our country and the American construction workers who are collecting unemployment checks and not highly motivated to get a new job until their government benefits run out... it creates an economic problem. All of these factors need to be considered when deciding on policy. I wish I had all the answers but my process involves recognizing all problems and factors so the proper solutions can be explored.

Immigrants can't go on public assistance . And they need a "sponsor" who is responsible for them when they come over .

Now there are exceptions . Like refugees .

My biggest issue is with socks. How many opinions will the hand behind the "Ravi/Valerie" sock (and not doubt others) give?
You lost me man... I wear sandals most of the time

Racism is a primitive form of collectivism. It is the belief that the thoughts and attitudes of a person are the result of their lineage rather then a result of their culture and experiences. Racism is the concept that the thoughts, actions and attitudes of people are passed through birth to successive generations.

Racial discrimination is the treatment of people based on the belief that race dictates who that person is.

Disagree, though there are forces at work increasing the the instances and severity of racism. Over the last 8 years, racism has grown exponentially in this country.

Disagree.

Racism cannot be solved by edicts from rulers. It is a cultural, not a legal problem.

Racism is a primitive form of collectivism. It is the belief that the thoughts and attitudes of a person are the result of their lineage rather then a result of their culture and experiences. Racism is the concept that the thoughts, actions and attitudes of people are passed through birth to successive generations.

Racial discrimination is the treatment of people based on the belief that race dictates who that person is.

Disagree, though there are forces at work increasing the the instances and severity of racism. Over the last 8 years, racism has grown exponentially in this country.

Disagree.

Racism cannot be solved by edicts from rulers. It is a cultural, not a legal problem.
I don't agree with the whole Obama made racism worse argument. Sometimes when you bring issues to the surface they ignite. One could say that slavery wasn't a problem until the revolt and civil war. So did Lincoln make slavery worse? When you want to instigate change it results in debate and pushback so there is always an illusion of digression through the process of progression.

I agree that there is no need for more laws/regulations, however, I don't agree that "racism can't be solved by edicts from rulers" as you say, the laws that were put on the books during the civil rights movement helped carve a path towards massive progression, i don't see how you can deny that.

I think people talk more about race . I don't think that's more racism.

But there's a lot of new racism targeting Arabs /Muslims .

Thank you for the reminder.
Just in case you wondered, the discussion here is just a casual but hopefully informative discussion rather than a formal research (although I might have made it appear a little more formal than it should be...).

I wonder if China has accepted any Syrian Refugees, or if they will let any Muslims at all into the country.

And, if not, why not?

I define racism as NOT including an inclination to hang around people and cultures like yourself. The East & West Coast Liberals think just the opposite.

One problem with being around Blacks is that they are always on the ook out for being slighted. Everybody is an ass sometimes. Some more often. If a white is an ass to another white the offended white assumes it is because he is an ass.

But, if a white is an ass to a black, the black automatically assumes it is because he is black...when most often, he is just an ass.

Result: I have spent a career being especially nice to blacks I deal with, so as to be sure not to get the race card played on me.

It was pure pandering, or cowardice....but it's one factor in me preferring as a rule to socialize with those that are most like me.

Limited experience with other races, but the Asians and Indians seem particularly polite, self-reliant, and intelligent, and not in need of special handling.

Muslims: We have quite enough thank you.

Forum List

Back