On Freedom

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
There has been a lot of discussion concerning "freedom" from the Pam Geller "Draw Mohammed" contest and 'freedom of speech' to homophobic pseudo-Christians using 'freedom of religion' to discriminate against their fellow Americans. Is 'freedom' that elastic? Can the aegis of 'freedom' fail?

Flag burning is speech in the exact same manner Ms. Geller claims drawing the prophet is speech. It's offensive, crass, boorish and provocative, but it is indeed speech. Are the Right Wingers leaping top her defense true civil libertarians seeking to preserve her speech? Or are they simply xenophobes tossing stones at a hornet's nest and then, after getting stung claiming the nature of hornets is to attack without mercy? Would those same Conservatives actively protect the actions of a flag burning protester? After all, flag burning is political speech.

And those claiming 'religious freedom' to behave in a decidedly unreligious manner whenever they blanketly discriminate against Gay clients. Are they truly relying on religion to behave as they do? Or are they hiding behind a flimsy patina of religion hoping that this will sway a jury? Is freedom so elastic to stretch over these injustices?

When does 'freedom' encroach upon another's freedom? Can 'freedom be used as both shield and sword?

"When I see people on my TV taking shots at Uncle Sam, I hope they always remember why they can." -lyrics from "The Good Lord And The Man" by country singer/songwriter John Rich

God bless you and him and our homeland always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

"When I see people on my TV taking shots at Uncle Sam, I hope they always remember why they can." -lyrics from "The Good Lord And The Man" by country singer/songwriter John Rich

God bless you and him and our homeland always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

So, this is a stirring tribute to our troops and our victories, but is it your opinion that freedom can serve as both sword and shield? Could someone claim 'freedom' as a reason to treat others like second class citizens? Do you believe that a freedom is absolute? The freedom to caricturize Mohammed and burn an American flag?

Last edited:
^^^ To me, just because a person has the freedom to do certain things doesn't mean that they should do them things. In my opinion, there should be a reason behind anyone's choice of words and actions.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Also if you can't be helpful, be harmless. Sometimes the best thing that a person can do or say is nothing at all.

Last edited:
What is freedom? That's another one of those intangibles that means something totally different to anyone you ask.

Am I free to organize a group of people to come together to share ideas?
Am I free to organize a group of people to come together to publicly ridicule a religious icon?

Am I free to marry?
Am I free to tell you who you can marry?

Am I free to sell items to the public?
Am I free to withhold items I normally sell to the public based on a buyer's religion or who they're married to?

It seems that we have bastardized the word. Our idea of "freedom" is based on consensus, and that being the case, are we really free at all?

Forum List

Back