Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her $15K-a-month campaign job

I remember students used to give a recorder to one of their friends so they could cut class. If the instructor would call roll they would say "here" when their friends name was called out. It was really kinda funny.

I just went to class every day. I cut ONE class in 4 years from an instructor who knew me and my friend were going to the chili cookoff. She said I don't want you coming back into my classroom with a gut full of chili anyway! LOL

Is it really playing hookey if you tell the instructor LOL

There is no implication that a classroom talk is confidential. The same laws do not apply.
Well in my state the key to whether a conversation may be recorded has to do with the expectation of privacy. It also apparently was created to give prosecutors the leeway they need to record suspects, not so much regarding individuals recording one another.

One thing that has been established is that all interactions with law enforcement are considered "public".

I'll give Omarosa this, she created quite a lucrative career by basically doing nothing and getting fired. That takes some talent, right?

Omarosa is a cheap woman….

The tapes are about as interesting as she is….

It does give us some insight into the pattern of Trumpians trying to solve everything with money. If they did the right thing to start with, there wouldn’t be embarrassment after embarrassment from this lousy family.
No, it illustrates the cut throat world people with money live in every day.
They offered this woman a job.
She refused.
Somebody offered her a shit load of money for the rights to a tell-all and she took it.
Non-disclosure agreements are a constant in security positions in the government and in some business environments.
You can bet that Obama had everyone in the White House sign one.

Yeah. Somehow I don’t recall many other rich folks being double crossed by their attorneys, personal assistants, etc… The blob is garbage and he gets treated by it by folks who know him best. It doesn’t make them clean somehow…you’re judged by the company you keep. Take yourself for example…trump is garbage and you support the whoremonger for some reason….all of the “bedrock” principle bullshit you used to talk about is out the door (family values, deficit reduction, restoring the honor of the Presidency). It was all bullshit.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? It sounds as if Trump's inner circle tried to compensate her for the loss of her job by providing her with another one of equal pay conditional though on her signing a non-disclosure agreement, sort of after the fact?

Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her $15K-a-month campaign job

The tape, which was broadcast on MSNBC, was made just days after the former "Apprentice" contestant left her White House job.

Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former reality TV star who became a top White House aide to President Donald Trump, on Thursday released exclusively to MSNBC a secret tape of campaign official Lara Trump offering her a $15,000-a-month job after she was fired from the administration.

The tape — which, according to Manigault Newman was made on Dec. 16, 2017, just days after she had left the White House — appears to corroborate claims she made in her new book about receiving an offer from the president's re-election campaign. Manigault Newman wrote in her book that the job offer came with the condition of signing a nondisclosure agreement; she said she did not accept it.

On the new tape, Lara Trump says: "It sounds a little like, obviously, that there are some things you've got in the back pocket to pull out. Clearly, if you come on board the campaign, like, we can't have, we got to," she continues, before Manigault Newman interjects, "Oh, God no."

"Everything, everybody, positive, right?" Trump continues.

Listen to new audio of Lara Trump offering Omarosa a $15,000/month campaign job
Aug.16.201801:45
In an interview with MSNBC's Craig Melvin after the excerpts were aired, Manigault Newman said the recording was proof of "an attempt" by the Trump team "to buy my silence, to censor me, and to pay me off."

Asked if she saw it as "hush money," Manigault Newman responded, "Absolutely."

Manigault Newman shared four excerpts from the recording of the longer conversation for broadcast; NBC News has heard the full tape of the conversation and the clips are in context.​

Are you sure? I could have sworn that was the offered dower that sold Lara on marrying Eric.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? It sounds as if Trump's inner circle tried to compensate her for the loss of her job by providing her with another one of equal pay conditional though on her signing a non-disclosure agreement, sort of after the fact?

The tape, which was broadcast on MSNBC, was made just days after the former "Apprentice" contestant left her White House job.

Omarosa Manigault Newman, the former reality TV star who became a top White House aide to President Donald Trump, on Thursday released exclusively to MSNBC a secret tape of campaign official Lara Trump offering her a $15,000-a-month job after she was fired from the administration.

The tape — which, according to Manigault Newman was made on Dec. 16, 2017, just days after she had left the White House — appears to corroborate claims she made in her new book about receiving an offer from the president's re-election campaign. Manigault Newman wrote in her book that the job offer came with the condition of signing a nondisclosure agreement; she said she did not accept it.

On the new tape, Lara Trump says: "It sounds a little like, obviously, that there are some things you've got in the back pocket to pull out. Clearly, if you come on board the campaign, like, we can't have, we got to," she continues, before Manigault Newman interjects, "Oh, God no."

"Everything, everybody, positive, right?" Trump continues.

Listen to new audio of Lara Trump offering Omarosa a $15,000/month campaign job
Aug.16.201801:45
In an interview with MSNBC's Craig Melvin after the excerpts were aired, Manigault Newman said the recording was proof of "an attempt" by the Trump team "to buy my silence, to censor me, and to pay me off."

Asked if she saw it as "hush money," Manigault Newman responded, "Absolutely."

Manigault Newman shared four excerpts from the recording of the longer conversation for broadcast; NBC News has heard the full tape of the conversation and the clips are in context.​
You are naive; which may be a good thing.
This is a very common practice in the swicth from politically related positions to private positions.

I have a question. When did making audio recordings become unlawful? Because my classmates used to record our lectures in college and not only did they not ask for the permission of everyone present (this was in the state of Florida), they had the recorders sitting out on the desk where everyone could see it and nobody cared.

They’re not illegal as long as you have one party consent. If you record a conversation between you and your friend/business partner/enemy/whomever….you’re not breaking the law by making the recording. Nixon’s recordings were not breaking the law. The content of the recordings? Yes. What is delicate is whether it is admissible in a court of law. In the Court of public opinion…game on.

And for the record, any impeachment proceedings is not a “court of law”.

They’re not illegal as long as you have one party consent. If you record a conversation between you and your friend/business partner/enemy/whomever….you’re not breaking the law by making the recording. Nixon’s recordings were not breaking the law. The content of the recordings? Yes. What is delicate is whether it is admissible in a court of law. In the Court of public opinion…game on.

Okay but the U.S. Code states

Federal law (18 U.S.C. § 2511) requires one-party consent, which means you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation. ... The statute also prohibits recording conversations with criminal or tortious intent.
The "party to the conversation" distinguishes it from the eavesdropping restriction.

Omarosa's publisher has responded to Trump's desperate attempt at censorship. Calling Trump's legal theory "hollow" it goes on to read why NDAs do not apply to this book:

"Put simply, the book's purpose is to inform the public..... Private contracts like the NDA may not be used to censor former or current government officials from speaking about non-classified information learned during the course of their public employment."

Omarosa's publisher responds to Trump campaign attorney: We won't bow to 'hollow legal threats'

In other words they gave Trump the finger.
Wow
I'm impressed.

Book publishers don't like Trump too.

WELL FINALLY, Trump is toast.

Wow. If you can get 15 grand a month for keeping quiet I bet you could get 10 times that amount for having sex with Trump.

Oh wait, I forgot, Stormy and the Bunny.

Okay but the U.S. Code states

Federal law (18 U.S.C. § 2511) requires one-party consent, which means you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation. ... The statute also prohibits recording conversations with criminal or tortious intent.
The "party to the conversation" distinguishes it from the eavesdropping restriction.

Yes…that is what I said…. I can’t record what you and your homies say without telling one of you and having you consent to it.

A jurists decides if it is admissible.

I'll give Omarosa this, she created quite a lucrative career by basically doing nothing and getting fired. That takes some talent, right?
Wasn't that the whole premise of the Apprentice? (it's a sincere question, I never watched it)

Not really but you’re close. In Season 1, I think it was 14 young business types did these silly contests each week. For example, they had one where they were given X amount of dollars to buy some goods and were judged by how much money they had left over. This supposedly revealed their negotiation skills. Anyway, whichever team of 7 had the lesser money at the end of the project, had one of their team members fired. Until it was down to two people who were each given a different task by the blob. One was to organize a golf outing as I recall and the other was to organize a concert. Who ever was judged to do a better job was hired as “The Apprentice.”

I would tell you what Omarosa did on that first season but I don’t think I want to give her any more run.

Forum List

Back