Old enough to fight, old enough to decide.

I agree they should be not be required a parents consent, some khave no living parents for one thing.

The laws should be changed for the Credit companys that keep them from hoodwinking anyone into debt wether it is an elderly person or a fresh faced kid.

Time to come down hard on the moneychangers

The credit card companies won't even feel the pinch once the new laws take effect because they've already squeezed all our blood up front in anticipation. For the life of me I can't understand how this went on as long as it did. Whatever happened to usury laws? The Money Mafia running these outfits should have been put in jail long ago.

An 18 year old is in more Danger from his/her Visa Account than he is "putting his life on the line for his nation."

How many freakin' 18 year olds are in the Armed Service? How many are actually in combat units?

I'm willing to bet this number is pretty damn small compared to the total number of 18 year olds receiving free credit cards.

but if said 18 year old does join...they have no problems sending that kid into war....but they dont think he can handle a CC with a set limit like 1,000 bucks....not right....

What's "not right?"

18 year olds receive training before they go to war.

They receive no training before they use credit.

We're comparing apples and oranges: An 18 year old doesn't carry a heluva lot of resopnsibility in the military. He's told how to wipe his ass 90% of the time. The other 10%of the time, he's free to fuck himself up, and often spectacularly succeeds.

Anyone that believes that "sending a kid" into war somehow transforms all 18 year olds into responsible adults doesn't know very much about 18 year olds, war, responsibility, or being adult.

So how old does someone who has committed murder need to be to be tried as a responsible adult?

Perhaps they do Xeno, but at what point does personal responsibility play a role in all this? In fact by the age of 18 shouldn't these kids understand a little of what that is or have been taught some of by thier parents? It's very difficult for me to say, yes your able to go and put your life on the line for your nation, but , you need my permission for a Visa. While I do understand what these laws are attempting to do and for the most part they are trying to keep these companies from taking advantage, in my opinion this is the wrong way to go about it.
You make some good points, especially about expecting them to be willing to die for the country but not allowing them access to credit. I also think that everyone, not just under 21 year olds, should be protected from being lured into accepting credit they can't manage and which can easily lead to them into being trapped in a cycle of unaffordable minimum payments, retroactive interest hikes and unregulated and undisclosed interest percentage increases. We are all in danger of being tricked by predatory lending.

However, had I been denied my student loan when I was 19 because I needed to have a co signer that would have been wrong. I would not like to see college students denied access to credit that will help them better educate themselves. I would, though, like to see them provided with good financial counseling before they sign onto to too much student debt.

Student loans are completely different, although certain lending institutions demanding exhorbitant interest rates for that purpose have been forced to stop that practice also.

I'm not saying that a problem does not exist, what I am saying is that these young people are given a responsibility, for example if my A-6 plane capt. can be some 19 year old kid who is responsible for my aircraft and in large part my life, then to turn around to that very same young person and tell them that they are not responsible enough to make decisions for themselves is the wrong message to send. ......they are wholly qualified to wear the unifomr, then on the other they are not qualified to drink a beer or in this case get a credit card shows a lack of respnonsibility not on the part of the young people but on those that are not willing to make laws good enough to actually regulate thse areas.

A 19 year old kid is not responisble for your aircraft, or any other aircraft: He/she might be responsible for a SMALL part of the aircraft/your life, and has certainly been trained, and is under supervision to do whatever task they are assigned.

Being "qualified" to wear the uniform, means they passed fairly standard physical and mental tests. They are trained and supervised while wearing the uniform. This has nothing to do with their ability to drink alcohol (which they usually fuck up) or their ability to use credit (which the often fuck up) because they have NO TRAINING OR SUPERVISION IN THESE AREAS!!

Personal Responsibility can go on so far. I would recommend watching the documentary "Maxed Out: Hard Times" before making wideranging judgment calls on this issue there Navy. Not all the teenagers who get into credit card debt are irresponsible kids who have no idea what they're doing because their parents taught them incorrectly.

I'm not saying you came out and said it like that either, but that's what it came off as.

For the record, this young person does not own a credit card but I do have a debit card.

A word of advice when using your debit card. When asked debit or credit? always choose credit, because you don't have to use your pin which is the new way hackers are gaining access to your personal bank accounts (and identity).

The Huffington Post's Jim Randel calls the restrictions for the under-21 crowd "nutty lawmaking" that treats young adults in "paternalistic" fashion. Under the new law, young college students will have to have a co-signer or prove they have some kind of revenue stream before they go into debt. I fail to see how that's nutty. It seems to me the height of financial responsibility to provide young adults with a graduated introduction to the world of credit cards, rather than the current practice of bribing them into debt with a free iPod if they sign up now. Your thoughts?

Credit Card Reform Impacts College Kids Too

This may be an over simplification on the this issue but as I see this, if a young person is able sign up for the US Military at age 18, fight and die for this nation then they should enjoy ALL the rights as adults under the constitution afforded to them under it. If the intention of these laws is to imply that these young people don't have the ability to make decisions on their own then raise the age to 21 across the board. Ths boils down to a parenting issue, if a by the time a young person reaches the age of 18 and does not understand the concept of personal responsibility then that is a poor reflection on the parents not the system, but do not ask these kids to make sacrifices daily for their nation then come home and have them refer to their parents for such mundane things as applying for a credit card or a car loan.

Somebody from HuffPo actually disagrees with a Big Government program, in this case the "Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights?" The Obama Administration is going to make this guy disappear if he's not careful.

Huffington Post isn't strictly "liberal." It never was. It only gained that reputation because it prints intelligent, SOURCED, material, and we can't have honesty as part of the fringe generation now, can we.

but if said 18 year old does join...they have no problems sending that kid into war....but they dont think he can handle a CC with a set limit like 1,000 bucks....not right....

What's "not right?"

We're comparing apples and oranges: An 18 year old doesn't carry a heluva lot of resopnsibility in the military. He's told how to wipe his ass 90% of the time. The other 10%of the time, he's free to fuck himself up, and often spectacularly succeeds.

Anyone that believes that "sending a kid" into war somehow transforms all 18 year olds into responsible adults doesn't know very much about 18 year olds, war, responsibility, or being adult.

So how old does someone who has committed murder need to be to be tried as a responsible adult?

Sounds like a great topic for another thread.:clap2:

Are you saying that Homicide is somehow akin to Credit Card Debit?

If so, I need to post my response in the Flame Zone's thread "Who Is The Most Idiotic Poster?"

I have to go with 18 is an adult. If they haven't learned enough about how to deal with credit they should have paid more attention in math classes. or maybe listened to their parents a bit better.
By the time Many in the service are 21 they will be a team leader, the military sort of has a way of making one grow up rather quickly.

But by the time someone 18 who does not to into the service and has access to a bunch of credit does reach the age of 21, he's apt to be so in debt he might need to move back home. And many do for that very reason. Frankly, I trust the judgment of a kid who chooses to enlist over the judgment of an 18-year old who chooses to go to college with little else but partying on his mind and an escape from Mom & Dad.

I have to go with 18 is an adult. If they haven't learned enough about how to deal with credit they should have paid more attention in math classes. or maybe listened to their parents a bit better.
By the time Many in the service are 21 they will be a team leader, the military sort of has a way of making one grow up rather quickly.
My math classes taught me zero about handling credit. Instead of being made to learn Algebra, something I have never had any use for in my entire life, I would have much appreciated learning about what taking out a mortgage entails and other such practical matters. I wish our schools spent more time preparing kids to manage a household budget, save for retirement and invest wisely.

When I was in high school, we either chose a college or commercial curriculum. Algebra, Geometry, Trig, etc., came with the college course, and mathematics and basic accounting principles with the commercial. Don't tell me high schools don't have even THAT option anymore. No wonder so many kids are failing.

I agree they should be not be required a parents consent, some khave no living parents for one thing.

The laws should be changed for the Credit companys that keep them from hoodwinking anyone into debt wether it is an elderly person or a fresh faced kid.

Time to come down hard on the moneychangers

Do the words 'personal responsibility' have any meaning for you whatsover? Why does the government have to legislate every fucking damned thing? This pathetic whiny 'help me' attitude of liberals is just sickening. Make your own fucking decisions and stop expecting someone else to take care of you and protect your ass from every little thing.

"Personal responsibility" unfortunately has dropped right along with academic responsibility and parental responsibility. It is what it is, and when there is the danger that an entire generation will be dumber than that they follow, it's time some for some new rules.

Again, you (and Navy) are indulging in wishful thinking and not reality. You can't just take some dim bulb mindset who comes from the generation of credit and therefore greed and shake him and tell him from here on out, he needs to take "personal responsibility." They'll either just laugh or cry.

Do the words 'personal responsibility' have any meaning for you whatsover? Why does the government have to legislate every fucking damned thing? This pathetic whiny 'help me' attitude of liberals is just sickening. Make your own fucking decisions and stop expecting someone else to take care of you and protect your ass from every little thing.

We need "personal responsibility" from credit card companies too. They suck people into accepting cards with a low 90 day rate in large letters and never reveal that the real rate is 25%. They give cards to people with poor history and no jobs. They jack up penalties and fee increases for minor transgressions. When the card-holder gets behind they raise the credit limit
Then, when the debtor defaults. They go to the Government for a bailout.

You shouldn't need parental consent if you are over 18. But requiring a co-signer for someone with no credit and no job is just smart business. The Government shouldn't have to get involved in this. But the Banks obviously haven't learned from the past.

Learn how to use the following word....

No.

It's not hard. Credit card companies are businesses. They are driven by profit. You don't get 'sucked in' unless you want to be 'sucked in'. I have been inundated with 'pre-approved credit' from a variety of companies. Each one goes directly into the recycling. It's not hard.

Adults should not need the government to 'protect' them. We are perfectly capable of doing so for ourselves.

YOU are not the norm. When will you get that through your head?

No

When we have to spend a trillion dollars to bail out companies for bad debt, we have an obligation to force them to be responsible.
Adults should not need the Government to protect them. Neither should banks. Yet the banks got the GOP to ammend bankruptcy laws to make it harder to default on personal debt. Then they started with the 0% interest pitches never revealing that the rate went to 25% in ninety days and 35% if you missed a payment.

A considerable amount of the problems for banks came from government forcing them to loan to people who should not be building up debt. Guess which party was responsible for that? The fucking democrats with their stupid 'help the poor own their own home' stance. Barney (fucking idiot) Franks and the idiots at ACORN etc threatening banks with shit if they did not lend to poor people.

Our fucking goverment was as responsible as the fucking banks for the disaster that befell them and us.

What really stuns me is that people still keep whining about the 'other party's responsibility', very few are capable of seeing that both parties behaved stupidly regarding the banks etc. Constantly, people blame the opposite side and refuse point blank to acknowledge their own party's culpability. Y'all need to grow the fuck up.

Oh puleeze, here we go again. Private enterprise, without conscience, which made BILLIONS off the backs of individuals have no blame in the mortgage crisis? I don't think even Ayn Rand would have been that cold. And I find I must remind people, again, that by the time the private banking giants had begun to loose track of where they were placing their bets, Fannie & Freddie were making less than 5% of all mortgages; the rest were being made by newly established PRIVATE sub-prime mortgage companies.

The Huffington Post's Jim Randel calls the restrictions for the under-21 crowd "nutty lawmaking" that treats young adults in "paternalistic" fashion. Under the new law, young college students will have to have a co-signer or prove they have some kind of revenue stream before they go into debt. I fail to see how that's nutty. It seems to me the height of financial responsibility to provide young adults with a graduated introduction to the world of credit cards, rather than the current practice of bribing them into debt with a free iPod if they sign up now. Your thoughts?

This may be an over simplification on the this issue but as I see this, if a young person is able sign up for the US Military at age 18, fight and die for this nation then they should enjoy ALL the rights as adults under the constitution afforded to them under it. If the intention of these laws is to imply that these young people don't have the ability to make decisions on their own then raise the age to 21 across the board. Ths boils down to a parenting issue, if a by the time a young person reaches the age of 18 and does not understand the concept of personal responsibility then that is a poor reflection on the parents not the system, but do not ask these kids to make sacrifices daily for their nation then come home and have them refer to their parents for such mundane things as applying for a credit card or a car loan.

I think that any reform of credit cards that does not start out by denying CC companies the right to change the rate of interest on money already borrowed is theft by regulation.

If I borrow money at 8%, it is outrageous that the law allows my creditor to change the terms of the interest paid AFTER THE FACT.

But they will come back and say it's stated in the general terms of their contract with you that they have the "right" to change the terms (including interest rates) at any time. That little catch-all phrase in fine print. Ironically, I have one card where in that same tiny space it says that if I default for whatever reason, they can raise my rate, but if it is a one-time occurrence, my old rate will revert back to the original after five months. Well guess what. That did happen to me, once, a late payment, and that was two years ago. Have they reversed the rate yet? Nope--even after numerous emails and phone calls. So they also lie in those contracts.

It's very difficult for me to say, yes your able to go and put your life on the line for your nation, but , you need my permission for a Visa. .

An 18 year old is in more Danger from his/her Visa Account than he is "putting his life on the line for his nation."

How many freakin' 18 year olds are in the Armed Service? How many are actually in combat units?

I'm willing to bet this number is pretty damn small compared to the total number of 18 year olds receiving free credit cards.

Different parts of the brain at work there ^.

What's "not right?"

If so, I need to post my response in the Flame Zone's thread "Who Is The Most Idiotic Poster?"

Who pissed in your corn flakes? You're already starting off the year in a bad mood. Oh well. It was a simple question which you chose not to answer and decided to throw an insult my way. Let me know when you're ready to discuss the topic. Perhaps after your therapy session would be good.

Somebody from HuffPo actually disagrees with a Big Government program, in this case the "Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights?" The Obama Administration is going to make this guy disappear if he's not careful.

Huffington Post isn't strictly "liberal." It never was. It only gained that reputation because it prints intelligent, SOURCED, material, and we can't have honesty as part of the fringe generation now, can we.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My math classes taught me zero about handling credit. Instead of being made to learn Algebra, something I have never had any use for in my entire life, I would have much appreciated learning about what taking out a mortgage entails and other such practical matters. I wish our schools spent more time preparing kids to manage a household budget, save for retirement and invest wisely.

Much of public schooling is completely irrelevant.

But I cannot believe no one ever read you Aesop's Fables The Ant and the Grasshopper.

Of course like much of the 1970's, they fucked this up too:

The Ant and the Grasshopper was made into a song by Leon Rosselson in the 1970s. Rosselson's version reverses the intent of Aesop, using the story to rebuke the ant(and those humans with his mindset)for heartless unwillingness in letting their fellow creatures die of want and for not respecting the beauty the grasshopper brought to life in the dances he created and the love of the world he demonstrated.

Who pissed in your corn flakes? You're already starting off the year in a bad mood. Oh well. It was a simple question which you chose not to answer and decided to throw an insult my way. Let me know when you're ready to discuss the topic. Perhaps after your therapy session would be good.

Ok I'll answer the question regardless of the fact that I cannot link it to any revelance regarding the topic of Military Service, or Credit Worthiness:

Generally I suppose a person can be tried as an adult if they are accused of committing homocide when they are 18 years old, m'k?

Now, would you mind enlightening us as to whatever this might have to do with the thread?

Ok I'll answer the question regardless of the fact that I cannot link it to any revelance regarding the topic of Military Service, or Credit Worthiness:

Generally I suppose a person can be tried as an adult if they are accused of committing homocide when they are 18 years old, m'k?

Now, would you mind enlightening us as to whatever this might have to do with the thread?

This discussion is about the age in which one legally assumes adulthood and is legally granted rights afforded to adults in society. So I'm making the connection that if the age is 18 for military service, being tried as an adult, getting credit cards, etc., perhaps there is a point to setting the age of adulthood for everything at 18. That's it. You're saying the age of an adult is different for different circumstances.

Navy

You should know. Some of the worst offenders are young soldiers and sailors being given credit for the first time. They run up massive debt. Some of the personal responsibility should be placed on credit card companies that offer high rate credit cards to people they know are unlikely to be able to pay for it.

Young soldiers have a guaranteed income, they are not that big a credit risk. they have financial counseling available and a Sergeant to put a boot in their ass if needed.

Forum List

Back