Old enough to fight, old enough to decide.

No

When we have to spend a trillion dollars to bail out companies for bad debt, we have an obligation to force them to be responsible.
Adults should not need the Government to protect them. Neither should banks. Yet the banks got the GOP to ammend bankruptcy laws to make it harder to default on personal debt. Then they started with the 0% interest pitches never revealing that the rate went to 25% in ninety days and 35% if you missed a payment.

No

When we have to spend a trillion dollars to bail out companies for bad debt, we have an obligation to force them to be responsible.
Adults should not need the Government to protect them. Neither should banks. Yet the banks got the GOP to ammend bankruptcy laws to make it harder to default on personal debt. Then they started with the 0% interest pitches never revealing that the rate went to 25% in ninety days and 35% if you missed a payment.

The government forced them to be irresponsible, that is the whole problem.

No

The government forced them to be irresponsible, that is the whole problem.

"Forced them"??

What is the matter with NO?

No

A considerable amount of the problems for banks came from government forcing them to loan to people who should not be building up debt. Guess which party was responsible for that? The fucking democrats with their stupid 'help the poor own their own home' stance. Barney (fucking idiot) Franks and the idiots at ACORN etc threatening banks with shit if they did not lend to poor people.

Our fucking goverment was as responsible as the fucking banks for the disaster that befell them and us.

What really stuns me is that people still keep whining about the 'other party's responsibility', very few are capable of seeing that both parties behaved stupidly regarding the banks etc. Constantly, people blame the opposite side and refuse point blank to acknowledge their own party's culpability. Y'all need to grow the fuck up.

No

A considerable amount of the problems for banks came from government forcing them to loan to people who should not be building up debt. Guess which party was responsible for that? The fucking democrats with their stupid 'help the poor own their own home' stance. Barney (fucking idiot) Franks and the idiots at ACORN etc threatening banks with shit if they did not lend to poor people.

Our fucking goverment was as responsible as the fucking banks for the disaster that befell them and us.

What really stuns me is that people still keep whining about the 'other party's responsibility', very few are capable of seeing that both parties behaved stupidly regarding the banks etc. Constantly, people blame the opposite side and refuse point blank to acknowledge their own party's culpability. Y'all need to grow the fuck up.

Fucking California Girl
The obvious fucking answer is that fucking people with no fucking credit and no fucking way to pay for debt should not receive a fucking credit card without someone who is fucking responsible to cosign.

I thought I would put it in terms you can fucking understand

Since I used the word "fuck" more than you...........I WIN !!

Last edited:
The Huffington Post's Jim Randel calls the restrictions for the under-21 crowd "nutty lawmaking" that treats young adults in "paternalistic" fashion. Under the new law, young college students will have to have a co-signer or prove they have some kind of revenue stream before they go into debt. I fail to see how that's nutty. It seems to me the height of financial responsibility to provide young adults with a graduated introduction to the world of credit cards, rather than the current practice of bribing them into debt with a free iPod if they sign up now. Your thoughts?

Credit Card Reform Impacts College Kids Too

This may be an over simplification on the this issue but as I see this, if a young person is able sign up for the US Military at age 18, fight and die for this nation then they should enjoy ALL the rights as adults under the constitution afforded to them under it. If the intention of these laws is to imply that these young people don't have the ability to make decisions on their own then raise the age to 21 across the board. Ths boils down to a parenting issue, if a by the time a young person reaches the age of 18 and does not understand the concept of personal responsibility then that is a poor reflection on the parents not the system, but do not ask these kids to make sacrifices daily for their nation then come home and have them refer to their parents for such mundane things as applying for a credit card or a car loan.

18 yr olds cannot Drink alcohol most places. Neither can they own a handgun I think.

imho everyone over 18 should be judged on individual credit risk and go with that.
If they are a college student with only or the vast majority of thier income from Mommie and daddie then of course mommy and daddy would have to co-sign.

And the parents do carry blame as well as the "system". Most parents are also williing players in the "system".

It was worse when I was younger. They would draft ya and send you to Nam.

Been there done that, try and not remember.

Last edited:
Personal Responsibility can go on so far. I would recommend watching the documentary "Maxed Out: Hard Times" before making wideranging judgment calls on this issue there Navy. Not all the teenagers who get into credit card debt are irresponsible kids who have no idea what they're doing because their parents taught them incorrectly.

I'm not saying you came out and said it like that either, but that's what it came off as.

For the record, this young person does not own a credit card but I do have a debit card.
Dogbert, debit cards can be just as risky as credit cards. Most come with compulsory overdraft protection which works like a loan. Banks can charge you what ever they want for an interest rate and are not obliged to warn you when you have gone into overdraft. Some even delay posting charges to your debit card so that you are fooled into thinking you have more cash available than you actually do. Then, if you make more charges, you end up in overdraft with hefty interest to pay.

From what I heard in the new regulations the auto overdraft thing on debit cards will be optional instead of automatic as it is with most banks now.

The Huffington Post's Jim Randel calls the restrictions for the under-21 crowd "nutty lawmaking" that treats young adults in "paternalistic" fashion. Under the new law, young college students will have to have a co-signer or prove they have some kind of revenue stream before they go into debt. I fail to see how that's nutty. It seems to me the height of financial responsibility to provide young adults with a graduated introduction to the world of credit cards, rather than the current practice of bribing them into debt with a free iPod if they sign up now. Your thoughts?

This may be an over simplification on the this issue but as I see this, if a young person is able sign up for the US Military at age 18, fight and die for this nation then they should enjoy ALL the rights as adults under the constitution afforded to them under it. If the intention of these laws is to imply that these young people don't have the ability to make decisions on their own then raise the age to 21 across the board. Ths boils down to a parenting issue, if a by the time a young person reaches the age of 18 and does not understand the concept of personal responsibility then that is a poor reflection on the parents not the system, but do not ask these kids to make sacrifices daily for their nation then come home and have them refer to their parents for such mundane things as applying for a credit card or a car loan.

I think that any reform of credit cards that does not start out by denying CC companies the right to change the rate of interest on money already borrowed is theft by regulation.

If I borrow money at 8%, it is outrageous that the law allows my creditor to change the terms of the interest paid AFTER THE FACT.

And they do not want to wait till you are 21 to get you in the military.
The older you are the harder to "program" you will be.

No

Fucking California Girl
The obvious fucking answer is that fucking people with no fucking credit and no fucking way to pay for debt should not receive a fucking credit card without someone who is fucking responsible to cosign.

I thought I would put it in terms you can fucking understand

Since I used the word "fuck" more than you...........I WIN !!

Unless the government says they have to and that they have to give them a mortgage too while they're at it. I agree with you on how it ought to be.

It's very difficult for me to say, yes your able to go and put your life on the line for your nation, but , you need my permission for a Visa. .

An 18 year old is in more Danger from his/her Visa Account than he is "putting his life on the line for his nation."

How many freakin' 18 year olds are in the Armed Service? How many are actually in combat units?

I'm willing to bet this number is pretty damn small compared to the total number of 18 year olds receiving free credit cards.

but if said 18 year old does join...they have no problems sending that kid into war....but they dont think he can handle a CC with a set limit like 1,000 bucks....not right....

Navy

You should know. Some of the worst offenders are young soldiers and sailors being given credit for the first time. They run up massive debt. Some of the personal responsibility should be placed on credit card companies that offer high rate credit cards to people they know are unlikely to be able to pay for it.

sounds like the mortgage thing going on....

It's very difficult for me to say, yes your able to go and put your life on the line for your nation, but , you need my permission for a Visa. .

An 18 year old is in more Danger from his/her Visa Account than he is "putting his life on the line for his nation."

How many freakin' 18 year olds are in the Armed Service? How many are actually in combat units?

I'm willing to bet this number is pretty damn small compared to the total number of 18 year olds receiving free credit cards.

but if said 18 year old does join...they have no problems sending that kid into war....but they dont think he can handle a CC with a set limit like 1,000 bucks....not right....

I fought to get a credit card with only a 1,000 limit on it. I use it for online purchases.
Hard to get a card with less than 10k limit lately.

If you cannot routinely pay off your credit card vcharges with 2 months at max then you havbe a problem. Use different cheaper finiances for large items. Do not buy a new furnace etc and leave it on your CC.

Last edited:

Parents are responsible on FAFSA til they are 24 0r 25, and medically responsible until 21 in some cases, so why not make the age of majority 25 for everything, including going in the military!

The exception is if they have a child or are married! That is current law.

Navy

You should know. Some of the worst offenders are young soldiers and sailors being given credit for the first time. They run up massive debt. Some of the personal responsibility should be placed on credit card companies that offer high rate credit cards to people they know are unlikely to be able to pay for it.

I'm not saying that a problem does not exist, what I am saying is that these young people are given a responsibility, for example if my A-6 plane capt. can be some 19 year old kid who is responsible for my aircraft and in large part my life, then to turn around to that very same young person and tell them that they are not responsible enough to make decisions for themselves is the wrong message to send. If there is refrom required then, do it, set limits on the amounts in which a young person can aquire, better yet how about graduated debit to credit? Where a young person must demonstrate responsibility before getting credit, these are all things that can be done by the credit card companies themselves. I have always thought that to tell young people on the one hand they are wholly qualified to wear the unifomr, then on the other they are not qualified to drink a beer or in this case get a credit card shows a lack of respnonsibility not on the part of the young people but on those that are not willing to make laws good enough to actually regulate thse areas.

Personal Responsibility can go on so far. I would recommend watching the documentary "Maxed Out: Hard Times" before making wideranging judgment calls on this issue there Navy. Not all the teenagers who get into credit card debt are irresponsible kids who have no idea what they're doing because their parents taught them incorrectly.

I'm not saying you came out and said it like that either, but that's what it came off as.

For the record, this young person does not own a credit card but I do have a debit card.

Dogbert, I was addressing a question that someone asked me, however if someone gets into debt for whatever reason they are responsible for that debt regardless of what brings them there. My contention is that the law pre-supposes that young people are even though they are responsible enough to fight for their country are not responsbile enough to manage their finances without thier parents consent when it comes to credit card debt. I would point too that there are many people in fact a vast majoorty of them over the age of 21 that represent the large portion of that credit card debt. What I do contend is that is a young person is not responsible when it comes to finances then that is more a reflection on thier upbrining and while some do find themselves in debt due to ciscumstances beyond thier control I was not speaking of those young people even though they are just as responsbile for that debt. What I do contend is that , if you as a young person can walk into the Navy recruiters office and sign up to join the Navy without your parents knowledge or blessing, and put your life on the line for your nation and in some cases die, then the ability to walk into your local bank branch and sign up for a credit care should not be something that requires your parents consent.

What's "not right?"

18 year olds receive training before they go to war.

They receive no training before they use credit.

We're comparing apples and oranges: An 18 year old doesn't carry a heluva lot of resopnsibility in the military. He's told how to wipe his ass 90% of the time. The other 10%of the time, he's free to fuck himself up, and often spectacularly succeeds.

Anyone that believes that "sending a kid" into war somehow transforms all 18 year olds into responsible adults doesn't know very much about 18 year olds, war, responsibility, or being adult.

Yes, well good luck with the good parenting issue which has only gotten worse and worse. Try to think of someone who is just now a high school student and will be entering college in two years. Do you think s/he will even remember the lessons of don't-worry-just-charge-it and the repercussions if things continue the way they have been? You're simply not being realistic, and indulging in wishful thinking (again?). When you and I were in college, we didn't even have ONE credit card did we? And look how great WE turned out in spite of it!! :lol:

Forum List

Back