Old enough to fight, old enough to decide.

No

When we have to spend a trillion dollars to bail out companies for bad debt, we have an obligation to force them to be responsible.
Adults should not need the Government to protect them. Neither should banks. Yet the banks got the GOP to ammend bankruptcy laws to make it harder to default on personal debt. Then they started with the 0% interest pitches never revealing that the rate went to 25% in ninety days and 35% if you missed a payment.

A considerable amount of the problems for banks came from government forcing them to loan to people who should not be building up debt. Guess which party was responsible for that? The fucking democrats with their stupid 'help the poor own their own home' stance. Barney (fucking idiot) Franks and the idiots at ACORN etc threatening banks with shit if they did not lend to poor people.

Our fucking goverment was as responsible as the fucking banks for the disaster that befell them and us.

What really stuns me is that people still keep whining about the 'other party's responsibility', very few are capable of seeing that both parties behaved stupidly regarding the banks etc. Constantly, people blame the opposite side and refuse point blank to acknowledge their own party's culpability. Y'all need to grow the fuck up.

Fucking California Girl
The obvious fucking answer is that fucking people with no fucking credit and no fucking way to pay for debt should not receive a fucking credit card without someone who is fucking responsible to cosign.

I thought I would put it in terms you can fucking understand

Since I used the word "fuck" more than you...........I WIN !!

Fucking idiots need to take fucking personal fucking responsibility for their own fucking actions. The government is not your fucking parent - they aren't there to fucking make sure you don't get yourself into trouble. You're supposed to be a fucking grown up. Start fucking acting like one.

A considerable amount of the problems for banks came from government forcing them to loan to people who should not be building up debt. Guess which party was responsible for that? The fucking democrats with their stupid 'help the poor own their own home' stance. Barney (fucking idiot) Franks and the idiots at ACORN etc threatening banks with shit if they did not lend to poor people.

Our fucking goverment was as responsible as the fucking banks for the disaster that befell them and us.

What really stuns me is that people still keep whining about the 'other party's responsibility', very few are capable of seeing that both parties behaved stupidly regarding the banks etc. Constantly, people blame the opposite side and refuse point blank to acknowledge their own party's culpability. Y'all need to grow the fuck up.

Fucking California Girl
The obvious fucking answer is that fucking people with no fucking credit and no fucking way to pay for debt should not receive a fucking credit card without someone who is fucking responsible to cosign.

Fucking idiots need to take fucking personal fucking responsibility for their own fucking actions. The government is not your fucking parent - they aren't there to fucking make sure you don't get yourself into trouble. You're supposed to be a fucking grown up. Start fucking acting like one.

Yeah but if they do that then they will never get a job in the finiancial sector.

I'm not saying that a problem does not exist, what I am saying is that these young people are given a responsibility, for example if my A-6 plane capt. can be some 19 year old kid who is responsible for my aircraft and in large part my life, then to turn around to that very same young person and tell them that they are not responsible enough to make decisions for themselves is the wrong message to send. ......they are wholly qualified to wear the unifomr, then on the other they are not qualified to drink a beer or in this case get a credit card shows a lack of respnonsibility not on the part of the young people but on those that are not willing to make laws good enough to actually regulate thse areas.

A 19 year old kid is not responisble for your aircraft, or any other aircraft: He/she might be responsible for a SMALL part of the aircraft/your life, and has certainly been trained, and is under supervision to do whatever task they are assigned.

Being "qualified" to wear the uniform, means they passed fairly standard physical and mental tests. They are trained and supervised while wearing the uniform. This has nothing to do with their ability to drink alcohol (which they usually fuck up) or their ability to use credit (which the often fuck up) because they have NO TRAINING OR SUPERVISION IN THESE AREAS!!

Plane captains spend 12 to 15 hours per day with their assigned aircraft. In addition to the constant inspections, brown shirts check fluid levels, prepare the cockpit for flight and ensure there is no foreign object debris that could damage the "bird." Prior to handing the aircraft over to the pilot, the plane captains act as the final set of eyes.
Plane Captains Receive Return on Investments

Thats called a responsibility and if they fail in that responsibility, it costs lives. Yes, of course there is supervision as there is in all walks of life. However, these young people are responsible for the job assigned to them, and it is no different than a civilian that works as an accountant that is suprevised by a Manager in that regard, the accountant still has a resonsibility to do the job properly. If a young person is "qualified" and meets the age requirements for the Military in this regard, then they should be given the same privledges as any other citizen. As for the assertion that these younf peop-le have no training in this area, I submit that same agrument would apply to every citizen that is in debt and the millions that file for bankruptcy as a result yearly. When a person enters into a contract then they assume the resonpsibility for that contract and the consequences for thier actions should they not meet the obligations of that contract. If sociecty is saying through these laws that these young people don't have those skills because they are not trained and able to make those decisions, then how then can they give those same young people the ability to select the same people to make those laws and to fight and die for the nation that would tell them they cannot exercise the privledges under them. Of course it's prudent to have restrictions that will teach people to be financially responsbile, but this is not one of them.

Who pissed in your corn flakes? You're already starting off the year in a bad mood. Oh well. It was a simple question which you chose not to answer and decided to throw an insult my way. Let me know when you're ready to discuss the topic. Perhaps after your therapy session would be good.

Ok I'll answer the question regardless of the fact that I cannot link it to any revelance regarding the topic of Military Service, or Credit Worthiness:

Generally I suppose a person can be tried as an adult if they are accused of committing homocide when they are 18 years old, m'k?

Now, would you mind enlightening us as to whatever this might have to do with the thread?

This discussion is about the age in which one legally assumes adulthood and is legally granted rights afforded to adults in society. So I'm making the connection that if the age is 18 for military service, being tried as an adult, getting credit cards, etc., perhaps there is a point to setting the age of adulthood for everything at 18. That's it. You're saying the age of an adult is different for different circumstances.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The age 18 for military service is set because our military is a NATIONAL function.

Every STATE can set legal drinking age, legal age of consent (sex), legal age to be tried as an adult for homocide, legal driving age, legal drinking age, legal age to leave public school (undegreed), etc., etc.

I'm not "saying" the legal age is different, depending on the circumstance, it IS different depending on the circumstances. And this is for good reasons.

Last edited:
Thats called a responsibility and if they fail in that responsibility, it costs lives. Yes, of course there is supervision as there is in all walks of life. ..... Of course it's prudent to have restrictions that will teach people to be financially responsbile, but this is not one of them.

You've dentified the extreme end of a wide spectrum of 18 year olds, and have decided that laws should be tailored for each and every strata within the spectrum, or that law should reflect the behavior of a very small minority.

Let's consider making law for each strata within society: How would we deal with the 13 year old, that runs his own business selling lemonade. He makes a profit. He is responsible.

Shouldn't ALL 13 year olds then be given credit cards?

OR, maybe only 13 year olds with successful lemonade stands? How do we identify these particular 13 year olds? Perhaps you'd advocate a separate Beauro of 13-year-old-lemonade-stand owners within the Department of Labor?

Fucking California Girl

Sorry California Girl

Since you substitute profanity for valid arguments......
You still did not use "fuck" more than I did. You have once again been outfucked

I WIN!

Last edited:
No Samson, you choose to see it that way and then take from that a wider meaning. What I have done is say that if society allows as it does these young people the ability at age 18 make the decision on who represents then , makes the laws that efffects them, sign contracts, as well as join the military and risk thier lives for this nation, then as a matter of course they should be entitled to all the privledges that citizens are allowed in that society. As 13 y.o. are not allowed to join the military, nor are they allowed to sign contracts, or allowed to select those who represent them and are not by law in most cases responsible for thier actions that argument does not apply. It is a simple matter of bestowing the full privledges of citizenship upon young people and not make laws that at thier heart attempt to teach them financial responsibility at the expense of that citizenship.

No Samson, you choose to see it that way and then take from that a wider meaning. What I have done is say that if society allows as it does these young people the ability at age 18 make the decision on who represents then , makes the laws that efffects them, sign contracts, as well as join the military and risk thier lives for this nation, then as a matter of course they should be entitled to all the privledges that citizens are allowed in that society.

Just because the Feds say that 18 year olds can join the Military (where they are closely supervised and trained), States should decide when a teenager should drive, drink, and have credit cards.

Credit is a strong seductive force that can easily be misunderstood by people who were awarded gold starz for effort for shitting their pants and not knowing answers .
it should be restricted and monitored .
By who?
An out of control government that cannot control its own spending of course!

Maybe parents should talk to their kids about money management.

Last edited:
Somebody from HuffPo actually disagrees with a Big Government program, in this case the "Credit Cardholders Bill of Rights?" The Obama Administration is going to make this guy disappear if he's not careful.

Huffington Post isn't strictly "liberal." It never was. It only gained that reputation because it prints intelligent, SOURCED, material, and we can't have honesty as part of the fringe generation now, can we.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

An 18 year old is in more Danger from his/her Visa Account than he is "putting his life on the line for his nation."

How many freakin' 18 year olds are in the Armed Service? How many are actually in combat units?

I'm willing to bet this number is pretty damn small compared to the total number of 18 year olds receiving free credit cards.

but if said 18 year old does join...they have no problems sending that kid into war....but they dont think he can handle a CC with a set limit like 1,000 bucks....not right....

What's "not right?"

18 year olds receive training before they go to war.

They receive no training before they use credit.

We're comparing apples and oranges: An 18 year old doesn't carry a heluva lot of resopnsibility in the military. He's told how to wipe his ass 90% of the time. The other 10%of the time, he's free to fuck himself up, and often spectacularly succeeds.

Anyone that believes that "sending a kid" into war somehow transforms all 18 year olds into responsible adults doesn't know very much about 18 year olds, war, responsibility, or being adult.

Sammy i aint going to tell an 18-20 yr old that you are going to some hell hole on the other side of the planet to kill some other young guys and then tell him you cant come in this bar with us "big" guys to have a beer and no you cant have a CC with a thousand dollar limit on it because your too immature to handle it...if these kids can experience the horrors of war then by golly they can experience the horrors of what it is like to be in fucking debt.....and i did suggest a CC with a small limit....they would have to show they are responsible enough to have the credit limit raised...

This has nothing to do with their ability to drink alcohol (which they usually fuck up) or their ability to use credit (which the often fuck up) because they have NO TRAINING OR SUPERVISION IN THESE AREAS!!

Samson....how many "older" supposedly "Mature" adults fuck up their credit and drink to excessive?.....the only training you get with money is what those around you growing up show or tell you...when your on your own....you get on the job training.....you either good at it or your not....

Huffington Post isn't strictly "liberal." It never was. It only gained that reputation because it prints intelligent, SOURCED, material, and we can't have honesty as part of the fringe generation now, can we.

as long as Arianna Huffington is associated with this paper i will look at it as a biased piece of crap run by a hypercritical lunatic...

This "graduated adulthood" crap is getting rediculous. I blame the inherent narcissism of the Boomers first, and then the stupidity of linguini-spined liberals unable to pull the trigger and take the consequences of providing clean lines of when adulthood starts.

This "graduated adulthood" crap is getting rediculous. I blame the inherent narcissism of the Boomers first, and then the stupidity of linguini-spined liberals unable to pull the trigger and take the consequences of providing clean lines of when adulthood starts.

western culture has no "man hood test".
No walk about,no branding or raiding other tribe,s just shopping, shagging and falling down drunk until you hear the pop.

Hmmmmm, Talk about over 18 year old kids, look at our Congress People, and these 'financial wizards' are way over 18 and supposedly graduated "Math Class" too. How can anyone expect the kids to manage money when they watch our own government that couldn't manage a Monopoly game.

Congress, with help, totally screwed up our economy, 'Free money without limits', they don't need no stinking credit cards, they got US.

Put and end to predatory lending, misleading agreements and just plain clamp down on the lending institutions, Oh Wait!! We can't, too many of them have their best buds in places like Washington D.C. and their state and local governments.

I too hate the idea of graduated adulthood. If a kid is hard working and builds his credit rating he should be able to get a credit card. The amount of credit you receive should be based on your income, credit history and available assets. Since most 18-21 year olds don't have this, they would not qualify for credit cards with large limits without a cosigner. Neither should 21-99 year olds who have poor or unestablished credit histories

I too hate the idea of graduated adulthood. If a kid is hard working and builds his credit rating he should be able to get a credit card. The amount of credit you receive should be based on your income, credit history and available assets. Since most 18-21 year olds don't have this, they would not qualify for credit cards with large limits without a cosigner. Neither should 21-99 year olds who have poor or unestablished credit histories

right....thats why i say what is wrong with a thousand dollar limit and then its up to them...

The Huffington Post's Jim Randel calls the restrictions for the under-21 crowd "nutty lawmaking" that treats young adults in "paternalistic" fashion. Under the new law, young college students will have to have a co-signer or prove they have some kind of revenue stream before they go into debt. I fail to see how that's nutty. It seems to me the height of financial responsibility to provide young adults with a graduated introduction to the world of credit cards, rather than the current practice of bribing them into debt with a free iPod if they sign up now. Your thoughts?

Credit Card Reform Impacts College Kids Too

This may be an over simplification on the this issue but as I see this, if a young person is able sign up for the US Military at age 18, fight and die for this nation then they should enjoy ALL the rights as adults under the constitution afforded to them under it. If the intention of these laws is to imply that these young people don't have the ability to make decisions on their own then raise the age to 21 across the board. Ths boils down to a parenting issue, if a by the time a young person reaches the age of 18 and does not understand the concept of personal responsibility then that is a poor reflection on the parents not the system, but do not ask these kids to make sacrifices daily for their nation then come home and have them refer to their parents for such mundane things as applying for a credit card or a car loan.

Are you at all familiar with the FAFSA regulations? Everything is based on parental income if a student is under a certain age. In fact, and it has been this way for years, parents could have a student signed up for loans because they are actually contributing nothing (the parents) and then the student is stuck with it and can end up in a debt rollercoaster that lasts for decades. This is all because a student's financial aid is based on parental income. I think that if students are completely responsible for the debt then student aid should be based on their own income alone, otherwise the parents should be part of the pay off of the loans. The presumption that parents will help should not be some lawmakers' fantasies about OzzieandHarriet World that never was anyway. That way the grants are upped, and the loans are less, more managable when the student graduates.

However, the Student Loan Business has in recent years just become one more bite at the cash cow consumers, and one more way for consumers to get fucked, in this case young consumers trying to get an education to qualify them for something more than McDonalds or fieldwork, where only wetbacks are getting hired anyway!

Actually, the problem started with the parents of the Boomers, those parents who just couldn't let go, wanted to have control over the kiddies long after they were legally grown and so on. If you look at the history of the laws and who put them into place you will see where the blame lies and just whom it was that started it.

The Great Depression Freaks were the ones running the country, and every so called "give" they put into law has steel cables attached. The Alkie/Druggie/Consumey Boomers are stupidly self medicating to shut out the interminable yammer that still hasn't ended.

Also unfortunate is that since children learn what they live, the children of the nutjobs have perpetuated some of the problems and exacerbated others.

Forum List

Back