OK--How does one get into Judaism??

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by amrchaos, Dec 22, 2010.

1. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hi all, you friendly agnostic here asking an important theological question of the other believers, the Jews. How about obtaining the true Bible--the "jewish" Bible?

How does one begin to learn about Judaism. Understand I come from a rich background of Gentile nonsense and disbelief. Just recently, I started to sense that there was something fundementally missing/inaccurate about the KJV of the Bible and it was pointed out to me that maybe I should consult the true Bible--The Jewish Bible.

Unfortunately, I have ran into some pretty dense hebrew dialect that I have absolutely no idea what they mean. For instance, I came across this website and I am thinking "What the hell is this guy talking about?" but if you listen closely you can here that he is speaking to an agreeable crowd!!

I guess telling you that my interest is actually a based on a universal format of what religion is. I think religions purpose is teach man how to live this life. But I do not believe in the superatural side of it literally and consider it to be more symbolic of historic events, exaltations of individuals and other. So the request is not for conversion to Judaism. I am telling you this just in case if you considere it blasphemous to give literature to non-believers. Especially considering what the greeks have done to the Bible.

2. michael39

michael39 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Begin by turning your back on Yashua as the Messiah.

Don't worry, most "Christians" have turned their backs on the Biblical "Jesus"

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    In on first page of possible epic thread.

:popcorn:

4. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,087
    L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

5. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    There are no free copies that I can recieve?

Can I go up to a local Synagogue and request one?

The Christians have a habit of ramming their new Testaments down everbodies throat, Yet Muslims offer the Qu'ran only to those that express interest in reading it. Does Jews fall somewhere in between those two camps?

6. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,087
    Honestly, I don't know. But I do know that you can purchase the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Jewish-Bible-Testament-Hadashah/dp/9653590154]Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)[/ame] from Amazon...

7. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Uh oh... :eek: Does that mean that the Jews are 'ramming' their holy book down everyone's throat too? :lol:

8. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    YOu can read on the web page here some basic insights. It is the best online resource I have seen, but bear in mind it seems to be an outlier in some areas of Jewish thought, as the politics are kind of right wing.

But it does have some free exigus on jewish thinking. The tradition is to read a section of the torah and a sectio of the rest of the other writings every week in service.

Since Jews don't do a lot of proselytizing, there is no free pamphlet society I am aware of.

But $14 isn't that big a deal i[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Bible-Scriptures---Translation-Traditional/dp/0827603665/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293035115&sr=1-3"]f you are serious, and you can get a good translation at amazaon. [/ame]

But dilettantism is not appreciated. Or encouraged.

9. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,087
    You got me, man. I don't know what everyone is talking about "ramming it down their throats." I don't get that feeling at all. No one I know who is a believer, of whatever faith, proselytizes to me or around me and I haven't been approached by a LDS cyclist in over six years.

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,087
    Oh you crazy, whacky Jews...