OK--How does one get into Judaism??

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Hi all, you friendly agnostic here asking an important theological question of the other believers, the Jews. How about obtaining the true Bible--the "jewish" Bible?

How does one begin to learn about Judaism. Understand I come from a rich background of Gentile nonsense and disbelief. Just recently, I started to sense that there was something fundementally missing/inaccurate about the KJV of the Bible and it was pointed out to me that maybe I should consult the true Bible--The Jewish Bible.

Unfortunately, I have ran into some pretty dense hebrew dialect that I have absolutely no idea what they mean. For instance, I came across this website and I am thinking "What the hell is this guy talking about?" but if you listen closely you can here that he is speaking to an agreeable crowd!!

I guess telling you that my interest is actually a based on a universal format of what religion is. I think religions purpose is teach man how to live this life. But I do not believe in the superatural side of it literally and consider it to be more symbolic of historic events, exaltations of individuals and other. So the request is not for conversion to Judaism. I am telling you this just in case if you considere it blasphemous to give literature to non-believers. Especially considering what the greeks have done to the Bible.

Begin by turning your back on Yashua as the Messiah.

Don't worry, most "Christians" have turned their backs on the Biblical "Jesus"

Last edited:
L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

There are no free copies that I can recieve?

Can I go up to a local Synagogue and request one?

The Christians have a habit of ramming their new Testaments down everbodies throat, Yet Muslims offer the Qu'ran only to those that express interest in reading it. Does Jews fall somewhere in between those two camps?

L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

The Christians have a habit of ramming their new Testaments down everbodies throat, Yet Muslims offer the Qu'ran only to those that express interest in reading it. Does Jews fall somewhere in between those two camps?

Honestly, I don't know. But I do know that you can purchase the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Jewish-Bible-Testament-Hadashah/dp/9653590154]Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)[/ame] from Amazon...

L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

Honestly, I don't know. But I do know that you can purchase the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Jewish-Bible-Testament-Hadashah/dp/9653590154]Complete Jewish Bible : An English Version of the Tanakh (Old Testament) and B'Rit Hadashah (New Testament)[/ame] from Amazon...

Uh oh... :eek: Does that mean that the Jews are 'ramming' their holy book down everyone's throat too? :lol:

YOu can read on the web page here some basic insights. It is the best online resource I have seen, but bear in mind it seems to be an outlier in some areas of Jewish thought, as the politics are kind of right wing.

But it does have some free exigus on jewish thinking. The tradition is to read a section of the torah and a sectio of the rest of the other writings every week in service.

Since Jews don't do a lot of proselytizing, there is no free pamphlet society I am aware of.

But $14 isn't that big a deal i[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Bible-Scriptures---Translation-Traditional/dp/0827603665/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293035115&sr=1-3"]f you are serious, and you can get a good translation at amazaon. [/ame]

But dilettantism is not appreciated. Or encouraged.

Uh oh... :eek: Does that mean that the Jews are 'ramming' their holy book down everyone's throat too? :lol:

You got me, man. I don't know what everyone is talking about "ramming it down their throats." I don't get that feeling at all. No one I know who is a believer, of whatever faith, proselytizes to me or around me and I haven't been approached by a LDS cyclist in over six years.

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.

YOu can read on the web page here some basic insights. It is the best online resource I have seen, but bear in mind it seems to be an outlier in some areas of Jewish thought, as the politics are kind of right wing.

But it does have some free exigus on jewish thinking. The tradition is to read a section of the torah and a sectio of the rest of the other writings every week in service.

Since Jews don't do a lot of proselytizing, there is no free pamphlet society I am aware of.

But $14 isn't that big a deal if you are serious, and you can get a good translation at amazaon.

But dilettantism is not appreciated. Or encouraged.

Oh you crazy, whacky Jews...

Christians tend to ram the new Testament down the throats of non-christians. Even the "we will behead you if you don't believe" muslims tend to keep their copies under wraps until you ask for one!

Some people may not believe that, but you have to go to an Islamic center or mosque to get a copy of the Qu'ran. New Testaments are given out on street corners like they are pamphlets! Come to think about it, I could pick up my 6th copy of the new Testament this year by talking to an evangelical around the corner.

P.S.--I am not going to. The guy honestly believe that "kind and compassionate" Jesus is going to come and kill all the non-christians! I guess two thousand years of hearing "Kumbaya" drove Christ crazy?

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

Christians tend to ram the new Testament down the throats of non-christians. Even the "we will behead you if you don't believe" muslims tend to keep their copies under wraps until you ask for one!

Some people may not believe that, but you have to go to an Islamic center or mosque to get a copy of the Qu'ran. New Testaments are given out on street corners like they are pamphlets! Come to think about it, I could pick up my 6th copy of the new Testament this year by talking to an evangelical around the corner.

1. Free= *bad*.
2. Not free = *good*.
3. Can't obtain = *priceless*.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Free= *bad*.
2. Not free = *good*.
3. Can't obtain = *priceless*.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

1)Air is free
2)Getting harrassed by TSA is part of the cost of airline tickets
3)Sex from an ex-girlfriend. Believe me, not worth it!!

L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

The Christians have a habit of ramming their new Testaments down everbodies throat,
Yet Muslims offer the Qu'ran only to those that express interest in reading it.
Does Jews fall somewhere in between those two camps?

If you go to a Mosque the Muslims there should have no problem explaining the Quran to you if you have any questions.

You got me, man. I don't know what everyone is talking about "ramming it down their throats." I don't get that feeling at all. No one I know who is a believer, of whatever faith, proselytizes to me or around me and I haven't been approached by a LDS cyclist in over six years.

I agree, it's repeated bullshit, and they think if they keep repeating it, it will become some kind of warped thing taken as truth. I'm a Chritian and I've never rammed my religious views down anyone's throat, nor do I know of any others who do either.

Hi all, you friendly agnostic here asking an important theological question of the other believers, the Jews. How about obtaining the true Bible--the "jewish" Bible?

How does one begin to learn about Judaism. Understand I come from a rich background of Gentile nonsense and disbelief. Just recently, I started to sense that there was something fundementally missing/inaccurate about the KJV of the Bible and it was pointed out to me that maybe I should consult the true Bible--The Jewish Bible.

Unfortunately, I have ran into some pretty dense hebrew dialect that I have absolutely no idea what they mean. For instance, I came across this website and I am thinking "What the hell is this guy talking about?" but if you listen closely you can here that he is speaking to an agreeable crowd!!

I guess telling you that my interest is actually a based on a universal format of what religion is. I think religions purpose is teach man how to live this life. But I do not believe in the superatural side of it literally and consider it to be more symbolic of historic events, exaltations of individuals and other. So the request is not for conversion to Judaism. I am telling you this just in case if you considere it blasphemous to give literature to non-believers. Especially considering what the greeks have done to the Bible.

You might consider reviewing the work of Martin Buber

Martin Buber's focus was on man's relationship to God, rather than on dietary laws or the ritual sacrifice of animals, which are major themes in the Old Testament.

I agree, it's repeated bullshit, and they think if they keep repeating it, it will become some kind of warped thing taken as truth. I'm a Chritian and I've never rammed my religious views down anyone's throat, nor do I know of any others who do either.

I am sorry, Newby!

Since you represent all of christiandom, saying what I said about Evangelical's Jesus freaks ramming their religion down my throat was totally invalidated by your blunt and non-emotional response.

I was just being sensitive, and over-reacted to your comments. I am sincerely sorry that you took "ramming their religion down my throat" as not an attempt to describe how christians spread the Truth of Christ trying to save my "damned to the hell fire soul" but as an insult to all christians in general.

You are correct Newby, I am wrong about my descriptions of christiainity.

L.i.b.r.a.r.y.

The Christians have a habit of ramming their new Testaments down everbodies throat,
Yet Muslims offer the Qu'ran only to those that express interest in reading it.
Does Jews fall somewhere in between those two camps?

If you go to a Mosque the Muslims there should have no problem explaining the Quran to you if you have any questions.
Any Mosque I have ever been a member of had Free copies of the Quran for any and all visitors. :cool:

Forum List

Back