Ohio lawmakers urge Trump to change Denali's name back to Mt. McKinley

Are there mountains in Ohio? They should name one after him.

Oh yeah. I've been through Ohio and I can tell ya, summa them Ohio mountains top thirty, forty feet. Yuge.

Actually Andrew Johnson was the POTUS when we bought Alaska, three decades before McKinley.....

So? You understand that the people the name Denali matters to, have always called it that even when the U.S. government recognized it as Mt. McKinley.
Well guess what, butthurt Ohioans can call it Mt. McKinley now that it's officially called Denali

Oh, so now taking up a cause is being butthurt. Let me file that away for the next time you feel like you've been wronged. ;)
A cause? Naming a mountain in a state over 4,000 miles away is a cause? :laugh:

Wow your posts today and lack of logic puts all your other posts in a whole new context. The next time I see something you post that I feel I agree with, I'm going to need to take a step back and reevaluate myself.

It’s funny the Indian Nation do not look at themselves as owners of any land, But yet shit stain progressives want to name mountains and shit all around the country after fucking dead in the end. LOL

I don't believe William McKinley ever went to Alaska at all, let alone the mountain. He certainly had nothing to do with its naming, which was unofficially started by a Seattle gold prospector (from New Hamster) who had heard that McKinley was running for POTUS, and then officially in 1917 by the signature of Woodrow Wilson. But the locals always called it Denali and the Alaska Board of Geographic Names has officially called it that since 1975.

By contrast, Mount Mitchell, visible from my front porch, was named for a UNC professor who explored it and established its height as the tallest peak in eastern North America, just as Clingman's Dome, the second-highest in the chain, was named for its explorer. Mitchell and Clingman had an ongoing argument about which was taller, which Mitchell won.

We gave the little guy to Tennessee. :) TNHarley

So in short the naming of "Mt. McKinley" recalls the self-described strategy in the naming of Monty Python's Flying Circus:

• Because as far as anyone knew there was no-one called Monty Python;
  • Because it had nothing to do with flying;
  • Because it was not a circus

Last edited:
Ohio's a swing state. Could be a good move.

Now that ^^ could be the deepest insult to Ohioans in this thread yet.
Doesn't come close to naming the state "Obama" as some airhead suggested or the insult that idiot concocted renaming the mountain by fiat in his zeal too make America more politically correct.

It was I who proposed naming Chicago "Obamaburg" and it was obvious satire, mocking the same tomfoolery engaged in with the current topic.

Maybe less obvious is that if you think Ohioans are so easily swayed that their vote can be bought off with a mountain-naming bribe, you must think rather lowly of Ohioans, mustn't you.

Ohio's a swing state. Could be a good move.

Now that ^^ could be the deepest insult to Ohioans in this thread yet.
Doesn't come close to naming the state "Obama" as some airhead suggested or the insult that idiot concocted renaming the mountain by fiat in his zeal too make America more politically correct.

It was I who proposed naming Chicago "Obamaburg" and it was obvious satire, mocking the same tomfoolery engaged in with the current topic.

Maybe less obvious is that if you think Ohioans are so easily swayed that their vote can be bought off with a mountain-naming bribe, you must think rather lowly of Ohioans, mustn't you.
If you can't understand it, then you are an idiot. It was named after a President from Ohio.
So what? Can I demand the mountain be called George Washington mountain, since he was born in mystate?

That'd be like the state of Hawaìi demanding Chicago be renamed "Obamaburg".
Ohio should be renamed Obama. I'm going to write my Senator!
No, it was another air head, not you

I don't believe William McKinley ever went to Alaska at all, let alone the mountain. He certainly had nothing to do with its naming, which was unofficially started by a Seattle gold prospector (from New Hamster) who had heard that McKinley was running for POTUS, and then officially in 1917 by the signature of Woodrow Wilson. But the locals always called it Denali and the Alaska Board of Geographic Names has officially called it that since 1975.

By contrast, Mount Mitchell, visible from my front porch, was named for a UNC professor who explored it and established its height as the tallest peak in eastern North America, just as Clingman's Dome, the second-highest in the chain, was named for its explorer. Mitchell and Clingman had an ongoing argument about which was taller, which Mitchell won.

So in short the naming of "Mt. McKinley" recalls the self-described strategy in the naming of Monty Python's Flying Circus:

is there a ''large'' NA population in AK and what do they think of the names/naming?

is there a ''large'' NA population in AK and what do they think of the names/naming?

Of course there is. They're not here to speak but I know one poster who's vociferously Alaskan so let's see what she has to say about the local sentiment --- EverCurious

Apparently this can be traced back to the same-old Rump butthurt (hee hee Rump butthurt I kill me) about reversing everything the black guy did ---

>> But Trump had one final issue on his mind. "He looked at me and said, 'I heard that the big mountain in Alaska also had – also its name was changed by executive action. Do you want us to reverse that?'" Sullivan said.

He and Murkowski "jumped over the desk, we said, 'no! No. Don't want to reverse that,' " Sullivan said.

Alaska's junior senator told the president that Denali was the name given to the mountain by the Athabascan people more than 10,000 years ago. And Sullivan's wife is Athabascan. If "you change that name back now, she's going to be really, really mad," he said he told the president.

"So he's like, 'all right, we won't do that,' " Sullivan said. << --- Rump Offered to Change Denali Back to McKinley -- We Said No!"

Back in 2015 when the USG officially recognized the name Alaska had requested forty years prior, Rump the candidate took to his Twit account:

tweet_trump_denali.png

--- demonstrating both his ignorance of history ("more than 100 years") and his ignorance of common sense ('great insult to Ohio' --- as if foisting the name of an Ohioan who never set foot in Alaska isn't an insult to Alaska).

It ain't gonna happen.

At the time Alaska requested the official change to Denali it was blocked by a few politicians all Republicans and all from Ohio. Claiming Presidential overreach they argued the Executive Branch doesn't have the authority to make changes on its own, but it was pointed out that when the state's request is ignored --- as Alaska's was for forty years --- it can indeed do that.

Why do a bunch of legislators in Ohio care about a mountain in Alaska?
President McKinley was from Ohio
So name an Ohio mountain after him!!!

He was president of the United States or does your little lefty revised history book don't go back beyond the year of the great "mesiah" 2008?

William McKinley never set foot in Alaska in his life, let alone Denali.

And for that matter the POTUS when we bought Alaska from Russia, was Andrew Johnson --- seven Presidents prior.

...Because President McKinley was from Ohio.
Are there mountains in Ohio? They should name one after him.

What's your point? I honestly don't give a shit though I'm from Ohio originally. Are you a member of the Indian tribe that called it Denali?
My point? Wtf is Ohio doing trying to name mountains in Alaska?

Once again how fucking stupid are you ? Why the fuck do we have all these black people named after white presidents?

Jefferson, Washington...

images (3).jpeg

Like George Washington carver?

Last edited:

He was president of the United States or does your little lefty revised history book don't go back beyond the year of the great "mesiah" 2008?

And for that matter the POTUS when we bought Alaska from Russia, was Andrew Johnson --- seven Presidents prior.

Did George fucking Washington ever step foot in Washington state?

Oh yes, do tell the class about "political correctness" concerning a mountain eight thousand miles from you that was renamed by a prospector who didn't climb the mountain himself, for a Presidential candidate he liked, who had never been to Alaska in his life. Meaning that but for one guy's political leanings he could have named it "Mount Bryan" and it would have been just as irrelevant.

"Political correctness" my ass. Alaska waited forty years for the official change. Finally O'bama delivered, and Alaska thanked him for it. It is after all THEIR mountain --- isn't it.

Did George fucking Washington ever step foot in Washington state?

A state is an abstract political concept, Sprinkles. This is a mountain. A creation of Nature. And it's been called Denali for ten thousand fucking years. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay before any opportunistic prospector or any government that bought the place from Russia, ever existed at all.

Given that last fact, I submit --- who's the conservative here?

Last edited:
If you can't understand it, then you are an idiot. It was named after a President from Ohio.
So what? Can I demand the mountain be called George Washington mountain, since he was born in mystate?

Get enough people to do it, and have at it. That's how it works.

...but since you aren't that energetic to actually follow through nothing will happen but you bitch about a mountain's name on a political forum. Not to mention Washington already has a monument, is on Mount Rushmore, and is on money I doubt anyone feels Washington needs more things named after him.
This thread is about Ohioans, and apparently yourself, bitching about the name of a mountain. I'm perfectly fine with its name.

No it's not this thread is about honering presidents.

Did Martin Luther king Jr ever step foot in this high school in California?

article-2157980-1393EFCB000005DC-89_468x616 (1).jpg

Forum List

Back