Ohh, those Honey Bees!

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
I have a honey bee who fell in love with one of my securtiy cameras and is sitting on the lens. It is pretty cold out & maybe the camera is producing warmth. :lol:

I can just about see through him, looks like an x-ray, head area black, a black spine area and clear bosy around it, and a black tail where the stinger area is located. I can hear him buzzing when he flew around the lens before sitting down.:eusa_angel:

honeybee1.jpg

honeybee2.jpg

Last edited:
It would be good to see the honey bees back.
Just one more near catastrophe created by factory farming that could have devastating results.

Here in CA., they are protected and you are not supposed to kill them. So when you you have a hive to get rid of, the pest control gives you some phone numbers from the bee society and they will remove them.

It would be good to see the honey bees back.
Just one more near catastrophe created by factory farming that could have devastating results.

Here in CA., they are protected and you are not supposed to kill them. So when you you have a hive to get rid of, the pest control gives you some phone numbers from the bee society and they will remove them.

Needs to be protected more than CA.
There is a GIANT problem with bee population right now. All because factory bee keepers fed them nothing but one kind of blossom because it improved the taste of honey. This has created a generation of bees that are getting sick very easy.
You not familiar with the story?
No kidding...this could create biblical problems.

Scientists found that pesticides were affecting honey bees ability to learn and remember...
:eek:
Neonicotinoid pesticides 'damage brains of bees'
27 March 2013 - Commonly used pesticides are damaging honey bee brains, studies suggest.
Scientists have found that two types of chemicals called neonicotinoids and coumaphos are interfering with the insect's ability to learn and remember. Experiments revealed that exposure was also lowering brain activity, especially when the two pesticides were used in combination. The research is detailed in two papers in Nature Communications and the Journal of Experimental Biology.

But a company that makes the substances said laboratory-based studies did not always apply to bees in the wild. And another report, published by the Defra's Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera), concluded that there was no link between bee health and exposure to neonicotinoids. The government agency carried out a study looking at bumblebees living on the edges of fields treated with the chemicals.

Falling numbers

Honey bees around the world are facing an uncertain future. They have been hit with a host of diseases, losses of habitat, and in the US the mysterious Colony Collapse Disorder has caused numbers to plummet. Now researchers are asking whether pesticides are also playing a role in their decline. To investigate, scientists looked at two common pesticides: neonicotinoids, which are used to control pests on oil seed rape and other crops, and a group of organophosphate chemicals called coumaphos, which are used to kill the Varroa mite, a parasite that attacks the honey bee. Neonicotinoids are used more commonly in Europe, while coumaphos are more often employed in the United States. Work carried out by the University of Dundee, in Scotland, revealed that if the pesticides were applied directly to the brains of the pollinators, they caused a loss of brain activity.

Dr Christopher Connolly said: "We found neonicotinoids cause an immediate hyper-activation - so an epileptic type activity - this was proceeded by neuronal inactivation, where the brain goes quiet and cannot communicate any more. The same effects occur when we used organophosphates. "And if we used them together, the effect was additive, so they added to the toxicity: the effect was greater when both were present." Another series of laboratory-based experiments, carried out at Newcastle University, examined the behaviour of the bees. The researchers there found that bees exposed to both pesticides were unable to learn and then remember floral smells associated with a sweet nectar reward - a skill that is essential for bees in search of food. Dr Sally Williamson said: "It would imply that the bees are able to forage less effectively, they are less able to find and learn and remember and then communicate to their hive mates what the good sources of pollen and nectar are."

'No threat'

We can't build a pipeline, but we can continue to allow agriculture to devastate the environment as it's been doing for 100 years. And will continue to do so in perpetuity.

We can't build a pipeline, but we can continue to allow agriculture to devastate the environment as it's been doing for 100 years. And will continue to do so in perpetuity.
Agriculture became more devastating when the small family farms got bought up by the big guys.

Agriculture became more devastating when the small family farms got bought up by the big guys.

Large corporate concerns, earning record profits while consumers pay record prices for their products. All the while they export their commodity overseas. What's not to hate?

Agriculture. That's what's not to hate. Give them free reign to rape the environment and the economy.

Yet- they would not exist if it weren't for hydrocarbons.

So who do we punish?

I think you know the rest of this story.

Paul Harvey- God made a farmer. What a bunch of horse shit.

I love bees. And did you know they can recognize human faces? They know mine. At least, the ones that inhabit my yard every year. They also know what MOVE means. When I am watering the garden, I aim the hose near where I want it to go and I holler MOVE. They move...like the parting of the red sea. And as I slowly move my hose along, they drop back in behind it. I have even had them buzz up to my face and peer at me, then buzz back to behind the water line.

Bees are awesome.

I have a honey bee who fell in love with one of my securtiy cameras and is sitting on the lens. It is pretty cold out & maybe the camera is producing warmth. :lol:

I can just about see through him, looks like an x-ray, head area black, a black spine area and clear bosy around it, and a black tail where the stinger area is located. I can hear him buzzing when he flew around the lens before sitting down.:eusa_angel:

honeybee1.jpg

honeybee2.jpg
i am sorry to hear of your troubles ,but seriously a can of Raid cost only a few dollars !!:eusa_angel:

I love bees. And did you know they can recognize human faces? They know mine. At least, the ones that inhabit my yard every year. They also know what MOVE means. When I am watering the garden, I aim the hose near where I want it to go and I holler MOVE. They move...like the parting of the red sea. And as I slowly move my hose along, they drop back in behind it. I have even had them buzz up to my face and peer at me, then buzz back to behind the water line.

Bees are awesome.
they know this guys face also !!

Attachments

• $beesting1.jpg
    $beesting1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 52
French pesticide-free bee experiment...
:eusa_eh:
Rooftop Bee Hives Create Buzz Above French Parliament
April 05, 2013 — The roof of France's National Assembly is ready to buzz with activity after the arrival of three large bee hives this week as part of a project to promote pesticide-free honey.
The bees are expected to be moved in once the weather warms up, should produce up to 150 kg of honey a year and help pollinate flowering plants around the capital at a time of worldwide decline in bee numbers. The project is part of a new trend across Europe to put bee colonies on city rooftops, taking advantage of the fact that bees adapt well to urban living and can target the many varieties of long-blooming inner-city greenery. "This is a great symbol for us," Thierry Duroselle, head of the Society of French Beekeepers, talking to Reuters about the new hives perched atop part of the grandiose 18th Century palace on the Seine River that houses the lower house of parliament. "We think it's a nice opportunity to educate people - the public and politicians - on the role of bees."

Despite their reputation for painful stings, bees are vital for human existence. A global decline in their numbers, the reasons for which are baffling scientists, is alarming everyone from farmers to European Union policy makers. The loss of habitat due to urban expansion, and, in France, an invasion of bee-eating Asian hornets, is adding to a phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder. More than two-thirds of the 100 crop species that provide 90 percent of the world's food are pollinated by bees, including fruit, nuts and grains. A 2011 United Nations report estimates the work done by bees and other pollinators to help food crops reproduce is worth 153 billion euros ($196.57 billion) a year. The EU is still battling to agree on a ban of farm pesticides linked to the decline of honeybees, but studies show the insects adapt well to city living as the plants they encounter there have been treated with fewer chemicals.

D8858351-D495-437A-8DA3-5EF72FC66AFA_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy3_cw0.jpg

While bee colonies adhere to a firmly royalist system, the hives have been painted in the post-revolutionary French flag colors of red, white and blue in a nod to the swarm of lawmakers below in the Fifth Republic's lower house. Six volunteer beekeepers from among the National Assembly staff will tend the hives, which are nestled together on a raised platform on the roof of a rear palace building. Despite their enviable Parisian vista, the bees will be packed tightly into their windowless homes, with each of the hives housing up to 50,000 bees in the summer months, a population that will drop to 15,000 in the winter.

Left-wing lawmaker Laurence Dumont said estimated annual honey production should fill around 800 pots a year which would be given to schoolchildren on educational visits or charities. The farm ministry is working to revive beekeeping and reduce a dependence on imported honey, and Paris already sports bee hives atop other prestigious buildings including the Garnier Opera and the swanky Tour d'Argent left-bank restaurant. Meanwhile another species began doing its civic duty in the city this week as four fluffy black sheep were unleashed in a public garden under a new plan to use grazing animals, rather than machines, to trim city lawns.

Source

See also:

Super Spider Discovered in Sri Lanka
April 05, 2013 - Arachnophobes beware! Your worst nightmare has been discovered in the form of a venomous and quick-moving tarantula the size of your face that lives in the forests of northern Sri Lanka.
The colorful creature boasts a leg span of up to 20 centimeters across and belongs to the genus Poecilotheria, according to Wired magazine. Spiders in this genus are known as tiger spiders because of their ornate markings. About 15 species of tarantulas have been classified in the genus. The new spider has been given the name Poecilotheria rajaei and differs from other spiders in the category mostly because of leg markings and a pink band on its abdomen.

382ADEE4-1B97-4B76-B3F1-A91376CAAB22_w640_r1_s.jpg

The newly discovered tarantula Poecilotheria rajaei is seen in a forest in Sri Lanka

The British Tarantula Society published a study on the spider in December, and the editor of the society’s journal told Wired that “this species has enough significant differences to separate it from the other species,” but added that even though there appear to be physical differences from other tarantulas in the genus, a DNA sampling would need to be done to confirm a new species.

62E9E9F6-9B25-4512-AB18-43E194DE48F2_w268.jpg

The leg span of the Poecilotheria rajeal tarantula species.

Many of the tree-dwelling tarantulas in Poecilotheria are endangered due to loss of habitat. "They are quite rare," Ranil Nanayakkara, co-founder of the Sri Lankan organization Biodiversity Education and Research, told Wired. "They prefer well-established old trees, but due to deforestation, the number have dwindled and due to lack of suitable habitat they enter old buildings." Poecilotheria rajaei, while large, would not be the world’s largest spider. That title belongs to the South American tarantula known as the Goliath bird-eater.

Source

Forum List

Back