Official: Manning released

Personally, I don't see any of the teams I'd have put on my list as needing a Manning.

I'd have thrown Cleveland, Seattle, Jacksonville and Buffalo into the mix first.

I really don't think SF will be interested in Manning. Between his iffy health, his age, and his price tag, I see it as a bad fit from their end. Also, their offensive weapons aren't what Manning is used to.

I'd love to have the Niners pick him up and win a couple of SBs, but I don't think that's really feasible.

I was wrong on this one. I thought he would never play a snap again.

That said, he's going to Miami.

Personally, I don't see any of the teams I'd have put on my list as needing a Manning.

I'd have thrown Cleveland, Seattle, Jacksonville and Buffalo into the mix first.

To me, if I was Manning and I had a choice of where I was going, I would go to a team that has a chance of going to the SuperBowl and make the cash secondary

San Francisco and Houston are capable now and much better with Peyton
Miami and the Jets are playoff caliber teams that could make a run with Manning

Washington plays in the same division as Eli Manning and I don't think Peyton wants to play Eli twice a year. Also, a Washington team with Peyton Manning still wouldn't be as good as the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles

Arizona is a nice place to play but even with Peyton, they are not better than San Francisco and are not better than potential NFC wildcard teams

I would like to see him in SF but...
My guess.......Miami

Last edited:

I am not sure Seattle is terribly interested. Teams go after a player like Manning when they are starting to get old and their window of opportunity is closing. Seattle is a very young team and their window of opportunity is just opening. If they wanted a high priced veteran quarterback they would have just kept Hasselbeck.

As long as he doesn't end up on the Jets. Would love him on the Bills, but there's no shot.

Gun to my head it's the niners. My dark horse would be the Vikings if AP can get healthy again.

I am not sure Seattle is terribly interested. Teams go after a player like Manning when they are starting to get old and their window of opportunity is closing. Seattle is a very young team and their window of opportunity is just opening. If they wanted a high priced veteran quarterback they would have just kept Hasselbeck.
When you're starting quarterback is Tavaris Jackson, you should be very worried. ;)

And yes, I never understood why they got rid of Hasslebeck. that made no sense to me.

I was wrong on this one. I thought he would never play a snap again.

That said, he's going to Miami.

Even if he does go someplace else, it doesn't mean he will ever take another snap.

I realize he is not ready to retire, but I don't want to see him spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair.

Immie

When you're starting quarterback is Tavaris Jackson, you should be very worried. ;)

And yes, I never understood why they got rid of Hasslebeck. that made no sense to me.

Seattle definitely needs an upgrade at QB. I will say that by the end of the year Jackson was showing improvement and passing downfield more often and more accurately, but a team can only win a Super Bowl with a quarterback of Jackson's caliber if their defense is ultra-hot (Dilfer with Tampa Bay for example). Seattle has a very good defense but it's not ultra-hot. :lol:

As far as Hasselbeck, they got rid of him because he was expensive and they figured that by the time they got enough pieces around him to be a Super Bowl contender he would be gone anyhow. At this point (assuming they return Marshawn Lynch...which they will) all Seattle really needs is a DE, a QB, and maturity....although an upgrade at RT wouldn't hurt. But you want a QB who will grow with the team and that's not Manning.

They may go after him but I would be surprised.

Seattle definitely needs an upgrade at QB. I will say that by the end of the year Jackson was showing improvement and passing downfield more often and more accurately, but a team can only win a Super Bowl with a quarterback of Jackson's caliber if their defense is ultra-hot (Dilfer with Tampa Bay for example). Seattle has a very good defense but it's not ultra-hot. :lol:

As far as Hasselbeck, they got rid of him because he was expensive and they figured that by the time they got enough pieces around him to be a Super Bowl contender he would be gone anyhow. At this point (assuming they return Marshawn Lynch...which they will) all Seattle really needs is a DE, a QB, and maturity....although an upgrade at RT wouldn't hurt. But you want a QB who will grow with the team and that's not Manning.

Dilfer won with Baltimore, not Tampa Bay. :lol: Same principle though!

Dilfer won with Baltimore, not Tampa Bay. :lol: Same principle though!

:lol: Oooops.. Sorry it's early where I am.

Last edited:
Certainly hope this takes care of the whole, "We can't get rid of X, he's meant everything to this team/city." Uhhh....yes you can. As long as you do it with grace and dignity and the timing is right; you can cut anyone.

Forum List

Back