Official: 2013 Nissan Leaf Rated At 115 MPGe, 75 Miles On 90% Charge

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Official: 2013 Nissan Leaf Rated At 115 MPGe, 75 Miles On 90% Charge

May 25, 2013 Zachary Shahan

This 2013 Nissan Leaf is selling like hotcakes (and not just in Norway). And there’s a reason for it. It’s cheap (well, relatively speaking), has good range, and has excellent fuel economy. The EPA has just confirmed the latter two points, as this EV Obsession repost will tell you.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has put up official range and fuel economy figures for the 2013 Nissan Leaf. The range (on a 90% charge) is rated at 75 miles. The combined (city and highway) fuel economy is rated at 115 MPGe.

The city-driving fuel economy is rated at 129 MPGe, while driving on the highway is rated at 102 MPGe.

The 115 MPGe rating is 16 MPGe higher than the 2012 Nissan Leaf (99 MPGe

Read more at Official: 2013 Nissan Leaf Rated At 115 MPGe, 75 Miles On 90% Charge | CleanTechnica

I spend a lot of time on the freeways. I have seen a couple of Leaf automobiles. So far, not a single Volt. The problem with the Leaf is that it is all electric with no gas backup and a driver has to be very VERY careful about watching their mileage. It is a cheap car to drive. As long as you don't have to go very far.

I've seen Volts on the highway, in 3 different states, and have been passed by them when I wasn't driving mine, which was most distressing. More Volts than Leafs to date, not counting my own.

The range is 75 miles?

No thanks.

The range is 75 miles?

No thanks.

75% of commuting Americans commute 40 or less each day. For them, 75 is more than enough. Admittedly not a road trip car, might make a nice 2nd car for all the around town work, with a nice econobox or diesel for a roadtripper.

For those who could afford it, because Leafs are not cheap, a car to run around doing short errands or going to a job very close by might be a minor benefit. It at least looks good. They still need a car to go longer distances. Even charging stations as common as gas stations wouldn't help. A fast charge, not as good as a full charge but serviceable, takes two hours. No gas station could stay in business if it took two hours to fill a gas tank.

If these vehicles can only be used for short distances, just permit the use of golf cart type cars on streets. Not highways, but streets. Electric golf carts are used extensively on Catalina and work quite well.

Hmmmm.................. Virtually everyone I know has at least two vehicles. One for day to day tasks, and one specialty vehicle, usually a truck or van.

Now someone is going to come out with a good hybrid mini-van, and that and a short range EV for urban commutes and shopping would be a good combination for a lot of people.

The range is 75 miles?

No thanks.

75% of commuting Americans commute 40 or less each day. For them, 75 is more than enough.

Which means they need to have two cars in order to do everything they need which defeats the purpose.

Maybe for some. I've got like 8 motor vehicles scattered throughout the driveway and garage. My purpose has nothing to do with only owning a few of the wonderful conveyances available to 21st century Americans, but to sample far and wide of what is available.

Forum List

Back