Office Grapevine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DamnYankee, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    (Thanks for the input on this....)

Have a talkative co-worker. The name's not really important when you find out what she did. This co-worker is the source of the office grapevine. She called up the boss from an unknown number. Pretending that the call was from a florist, the boss was asked if he wanted to deliver some flowers to someone special. The boss took the call and gave her the name and number of his sweetheart!

This co-worker went to town with this information. Before long, several people in the office knew about the hoax call. I've heard that her colleagues did lap up the fun, but they are now extremely wary of her. and have decided to keep safe distance. They are also all waiting for the hoax call news to move along the vine and reach the boss.

She'll probably be fired. Not a good thing in these times. I certainly understand the hardship, but feel it would be justified. Office rumor is something that is not really right, don't you think?

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Years ago when I worked on the trading floor of NYSE one of our favorite past times was creating and spreading rumors.

All day long we would think up rediculous stuff and pass it along, to see if it was repeated, such as:

All exchange personel would be required to wear red berets
    Supervisiors would be given inline skates to get around the floor faster
    Night hours would soon be started and everyone would be required to work 24 straight hours once a week
    Clerks would be issued and required to wear lederhosen to honor the visting german chancellor
    Clerks would be issued and required to wear sombraros to honor the Mexican president

This nonsense went on everyday I worked there, and you would be shocked how many people fell for that guff. ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

:lol: How long did it take for the stories to change to unrecognizable?

4. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Some of them never did, probaly because we kept telling them all day long.

Someday i will write down the full story of my years there, I have told a number of the stores over the years and they never fail to amuse the rubes.

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I keep sayin' I should write a book. It's way better than fiction. Would probably be a best-seller and a blockbuster movie. LOL

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Rumors fly around everywhere in work places. All the more reason I like to work at home and not be around a lot of people.

7. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Nice work if you can get it! Even with dial-in capability, it just doesn't fly with "public service" jobs. For some reason, the public wants you at their beck and call....

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I did my share of working with a bunch of people. Had one guy ask me once, Ms...... why don't you have a big bar-b-que and have everybody that works for you get together. I told him you have to be kidding I don't like everyone well enough to see them all one on one much less all of them at once. The guy just kinda gave me a blank stare as he was one of them.

9. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

:lol: They really are clueless, aren't they? And they try to figure out why I don't attend all the organized "social" get-togethers.... :lol:

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,049
    I;ve never understood how people can even have the time to pull these kind of pranks let alone have the time to gossip at all, when at work?

I was ALWAYS way too busy getting the job done to even have the time to be part of this kind of petiness, ya know?

Maybe work ethics aren't as strong as they used to be, (in the good ole days)! :eek:

Care