Obama’s gay marriage balancing act gets awkward

I'm gay and not getting the "wrong impression". I'm quite clear on the President's policies. He wants to end DOMA. Totally good enough for me. The rest can "evolve" as it will.

I'm also pretty confident that the President will give a full throated endorsement of marriage equality in his 2nd term.

Wow -- I agree with you. I think the president will hold off saying anything definitive before the election in order not to turn off those among his base who oppose gay marriage, and then once he has their votes in hand, he'll finish "evolving".

I don't actually believe Obama has many supporters who oppose gay marriage.

I'm gay and not getting the "wrong impression". I'm quite clear on the President's policies. He wants to end DOMA. Totally good enough for me. The rest can "evolve" as it will.

I'm also pretty confident that the President will give a full throated endorsement of marriage equality in his 2nd term.

Wow -- I agree with you. I think the president will hold off saying anything definitive before the election in order not to turn off those among his base who oppose gay marriage, and then once he has their votes in hand, he'll finish "evolving".

Agreed. But of course, "conservatives" are upset about this only because they can't use it as a rallying cry. If Obama were to say he's in favour of marriage equality, the Right would use that to fire up the base.

Obama is being very smart about this.

Is it really all that surprising that he has remained tight lipped on the subject recently? He is running for re-election after all. What do you expect?

I expect courage in a President.

I expect leadership in a President.

We live in the age of gutless triangulators who follow the polls. No wonder our country is a mess.

I think he does. Related to why Prop 8 passed in California even as Obama cruised to victory there.

I think he does. Related to why Prop 8 passed in California even as Obama cruised to victory there.

Only if those who voted yes also voted for him.

:rolleyes:

Right, that's why he once supported full equality for gays and lesbians and now he doesn't.

Well, in his defense, different personalities get to talk on different days.
Once in a while his magic underwear gets too tight. Prolly shrinkage in the dryer.

Could be.

I'm still giggling that he and his wife are going to duet something 'American' in the hopes of reaching the young vote, on The Voice.

Obama plainly feels he does not have a compelling enough argument to articulate why gay marriage should be legal throughout the land, and so he must therefore conceal his beliefs on the matter. He does not have the strength of character to LEAD the American people to the right ends.

Shameful.

As a California resident, I can tell you for a fact Prop 8 passed due to the Mormon Church pumping tens of millions into lying ads that claimed kindergarten students would be forced to learn about gay sex.

True story.

Now, imagine Obama saying he's for marriage equality. How much money will the Koch brothers spend on lying attack ads?

As a California resident, I can tell you for a fact Prop 8 passed due to the Mormon Church pumping tens of millions into lying ads that claimed kindergarten students would be forced to learn about gay sex.

True story.

Now, imagine Obama saying he's for marriage equality. How much money will the Koch brothers spend on lying attack ads?

even for someone as ironically named as you, this is weak

Obama plainly feels he does not have a compelling enough argument to articulate why gay marriage should be legal throughout the land, and so he must therefore conceal his beliefs on the matter. He does not have the strength of character to LEAD the American people to the right ends.

Shameful.

::cough-cough:: BullSHIT! ::cough-cough::

Is it really all that surprising that he has remained tight lipped on the subject recently? He is running for re-election after all. What do you expect?

I expect courage in a President.

I expect leadership in a President.

We live in the age of gutless triangulators who follow the polls. No wonder our country is a mess.

While I agree with you in those two regards, I also expect intelligence and one must admit that coming out "for gay marriage" could very well cost him a lot of "independent" votes. Those votes could cost him the election.

While I, of course, would prefer he come out in support of civil unions for all, I can understand that he wants to win in November and if he comes out and tells us what he really believes about this, that and everything else; his chances of winning are slim to none.

Immie

Only if those who voted yes also voted for him.

Many who voted yes, voted for him.

If he came out in favor of gay marriage, it could eat away at his support among Hispanics, and even possibly African Americans. Maybe not a lot. Like maybe not even 5%, but I think he'd rather not have to talk about this at all ... rather not take the chance.

Note: I'm not saying it would make anyone vote for Romney, but it might make some people stay home.

True story.

They were right because gay sex and homosexual relationships are being taught in California schools.

Forum List

Back