Obama's budget is a nervous breakdown on paper

Its a wonder the left can't wake up and see that Obama considers them fools and idiots.

From what I have seen it is basically smoke and mirrors, robbing Peter to pay Paul - and tax increases and does not address any bloated social programs which will be 50% of the budget in the next 10 years.
Say hello to Jimmy Carter again.

Your right. Barry knows this ridiculous budget will never pass.

Its cuts are over a 10yr period like thats gonna help anything.

Your also right about it not touching entitlements. He isn't going to touch that hot potatoe because he wants that second term.

His whole budget IMO is to just make Congress look worse than it already looks. He can say he tried but Congress has put the brakes on his great economy saving ideas.

Unfortunately there will be some who buy his bs.

From what I have seen it is basically smoke and mirrors, robbing Peter to pay Paul - and tax increases and does not address any bloated social programs which will be 50% of the budget in the next 10 years.

But this is exactly what we need -- stimulus now and fix the budget in the long term.

But this is exactly what we need -- stimulus now and fix the budget in the long term.

Been paying any attention to Greece bailout II?

More and more the Statists are choking off the Golden Goose until all it lays are piles of shit.

EXACTLY what have the (golden goose) job creators actually created in the past ten years.

Please be precise.

EXACTLY.

Never mind. Let me help you out. I'll tell you what the 1% job creators have created in the past ten years -

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Disagree?

Then post the links that PROVE I'm wrong.

They won't.

Look at what they are making fun of:

Cleaver says, “This budget is a nervous breakdown on paper. And it’s not just President Obama. I think he's put together a document that addresses education. We need to do it. Community colleges need to be upgraded. We got to have training for real jobs. We've got a lot of jobs that are going unfilled because we don't have the technology in the heads of graduating college students to deal with them."

See? They are making fun of "jobs, education and technology". What can you say?

They who? A Democratic member of the Congressional Black Caucus called the budget a nervous breakdown on paper. How is that Republicans making fun of jobs, education, and technology?

Greece is a perfect example why you don't cut spending while in recession -- because it ruins the economy and, as result, worsens the deficits.

Greece is a perfect example why you don't cut spending while in recession -- because it ruins the economy and, as result, worsens the deficits.

Actually, Greece is proof that running a deficit during a boom is a bad idea, but we do thank you for playing.

Look...spending money on stupid things like Solyndra didn't help the economy and it definitely worsened the deficit. We have no choice but to address the deficit. If we don't we'll have our credit rating downgraded once again. If we keep doing that we aren't going to be able to afford the interest on all of the debt we have. So we have two ways to lower the deficit...either raise revenues like what happened during the Clinton years with the Dot Com boom with all that extra cash the government was raking in with taxes...or cut spending.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, Kiddies...but I don't see a Dot Com boom on the horizon that's going to generate a huge revenue flow. Do you? So if that isn't happening then it's pretty obvious that the only way to generate more revenue is to tax the wealthy ( and what Democrats have decided are the wealthy) and take their money. The problem with that is that as any Keynesian economist will tell you (see Christina Romer...) raising taxes in the midst of a weak economy will only dampen the economic recovery. Keynesian's believe in raising taxes in a strong economy. So raising taxes is going to slow down the economy and we will take in less revenue because of that and we'll need even more taxes to make up the difference.

On the other hand...we haven't even made cuts in spending at the Federal level yet. Oh, sure we TALK about doing it and we appoint commissions to study it and "super commissions" to study it some more...and then we keep putting off the cuts until "later". Have you noticed that most of Barack Obama's cuts come after he's going to have left office? That's a nice trick...you bump everything down the road and make paying for your spending the next guys problem. The only problem with THAT concept is that our debt is getting SO huge that our creditors are starting to get antsy about our ability to pay it. China is cautioning us. The credit rating agencies are questioning our resolve to get our deficit under control. To be quite blunt...they're starting to believe that our politicians don't have the spine to make tough cuts...and you know what? They're right.

Obama's budget was shot down last year in the Senate, 97-0. Think about that, not one person voted for it. And this year's budget is nearly the same but with more spending; no wonder Harry Reid will not allow it to come to the Senate floor, even though they only need 51 votes to pass a budget the Dems cannot even get that. So what we have here is a piece of shit budget that absolutely no one will support.

Another right wing loon?

Nope.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, discusses President Obama's budget proposal.
Cleaver says, “This budget is a nervous breakdown on paper. And it’s not just President Obama. I think he's put together a document that addresses education. We need to do it. Community colleges need to be upgraded. We got to have training for real jobs. We've got a lot of jobs that are going unfilled because we don't have the technology in the heads of graduating college students to deal with them."

Rep. Cleaver – Budget a 'nervous breakdown on paper' – CNN Press Room - CNN.com Blogs
Did you read the budget?

Look...spending money on stupid things like Solyndra didn't help the economy

Actually it does -- the economy is depressed because of a weak private sector spending, so if the government substitutes some of it, it helps the economy. And I hope you are aware that private investors often do stupid things too.

We have no choice but to address the deficit. If we don't we'll have our credit rating downgraded once again.

The only credit rating that matters is the interest rates that US has to pay on borrowed money. And it remains at historic lows.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, Kiddies...but I don't see a Dot Com boom on the horizon that's going to generate a huge revenue flow. Do you?

Yes, I do. The economy is not going to be depressed forever. And it does not need Dot Com, or some other bubble to return to its natural state of full employment. If you think of it, it simply does not make sense that millions of willing and able workers have to sit idle, like they do now. It is a technical problem, which should had been solved immediately after the crisis started. Unfortunately there were not enough political will to do that, but the good news is that the economy comes out the recession on its own, only later.

So the revenues will shoot up on their own and probably soon.

So if that isn't happening then it's pretty obvious that the only way to generate more revenue is to tax the wealthy ( and what Democrats have decided are the wealthy) and take their money. The problem with that is that as any Keynesian economist will tell you (see Christina Romer...) raising taxes in the midst of a weak economy will only dampen the economic recovery.

Doing anything that can suppress demand in a weak economy will worsen the depression. But rising the taxes on the rich might not have much effect on demand. Normally they invest most of their income, but we are in a depression precisely because private sector is holding back on investments. So taking those idle money will not be such a bad thing.

On the other hand...we haven't even made cuts in spending at the Federal level yet.

But cutting spending is madness for sure. That is what Greece was forced to do in the past couple years, and we all can see that it only made its debt problem worse.

On the other hand, look at Japan -- much bigger debt than in Greece, but they are borrowing at 0% since 80s.

Look...spending money on stupid things like Solyndra didn't help the economy

Actually it does -- the economy is depressed because of a weak private sector spending, so if the government substitutes some of it, it helps the economy. And I hope you are aware that private investors often do stupid things too.

The only credit rating that matters is the interest rates that US has to pay on borrowed money. And it remains at historic lows.

Yes, I do. The economy is not going to be depressed forever. And it does not need Dot Com, or some other bubble to return to its natural state of full employment. If you think of it, it simply does not make sense that millions of willing and able workers have to sit idle, like they do now. It is a technical problem, which should had been solved immediately after the crisis started. Unfortunately there were not enough political will to do that, but the good news is that the economy comes out the recession on its own, only later.

So the revenues will shoot up on their own and probably soon.

So if that isn't happening then it's pretty obvious that the only way to generate more revenue is to tax the wealthy ( and what Democrats have decided are the wealthy) and take their money. The problem with that is that as any Keynesian economist will tell you (see Christina Romer...) raising taxes in the midst of a weak economy will only dampen the economic recovery.

Doing anything that can suppress demand in a weak economy will worsen the depression. But rising the taxes on the rich might not have much effect on demand. Normally they invest most of their income, but we are in a depression precisely because private sector is holding back on investments. So taking those idle money will not be such a bad thing.

On the other hand...we haven't even made cuts in spending at the Federal level yet.

But cutting spending is madness for sure. That is what Greece was forced to do in the past couple years, and we all can see that it only made its debt problem worse.

On the other hand, look at Japan -- much bigger debt than in Greece, but they are borrowing at 0% since 80s.

So you think that the Federal government spending millions on Solyndra was a good idea. Really? You're going to have to explain the "wisdom" of wasting money that we've had to borrow on an investment that was ill advised at best.

I'm curious as to what is going to make revenues "shoot up"? If you don't see a Dot Com boom...and I don't think anyone does...then what is it that's going to make that happen? Raising taxes on people making over $250,000? If you're a student of Keynesian economics then you'd predict that raising taxes in a slow economy causes said economy to contract even further. So what is going to cause this "magical" revenue increase?

Our interest rate is only low because so much of the rest of the world is in even worse shape than we are. For some reason you think because European investors view the US as a safer thing to invest in than Europe that we're in good shape. Just because you're the "prettiest girl" in a room full of ugly doesn't mean you're actually attractive.

As for Greece? They are forced to cut spending because they have an entitlement society. It isn't something that happened in the last two years...it's been happening for the past twenty years. If they don't get bailed out by Germany then they default and Germany is sick of bailing out countries that won't change their ways. Greece will cut spending because they have no choice. Now the question becomes...why do we want to emulate them?

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say Japan has been borrowing at 0%.

Last edited:
Another right wing loon?

Nope.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, discusses President Obama's budget proposal.
Rep. Cleaver – Budget a 'nervous breakdown on paper' – CNN Press Room - CNN.com Blogs
Did you read the budget?

Did you? If so, can you explain how Obama is taking the $850 billion in "savings" from not borrowing money for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and then spends $230 billion of that non existent savings on transportation?

Where does Obama get the idea that the economy will grow by 4% next year and 4.2% nest year? Most experts are predicting a growth rate of at least 1% less than Obama.

What makes him think that Congress, which is having trouble passing a tax cut that everyone says they want, will raise taxes even though the Republicans do not want a tax increase, or cut programs Democrats have worked for years to fund?

He is proposing $47,000,000,000,000 in spending and $2,500,000,000,000 in cuts over the next ten years.

spend2013j.jpg

His budget will increase the public debt over the next 10 years by $7,900,000,000,000

debt400.jpg

Keep in mind that the chart I just posted is what Obama is projecting will happen if his predictions are correct. Want to know how good his projections have been in the past?

deficit500.jpg

The blue bars were his projections for the deficits in his previous budget, the red bars are for 2010 and 2011 are the actual deficits. Look at the increase in the projected deficit from last year for this year, and what he now projects this years deficit will be. Any bets on what the deficit will actually end up being for 2012?

Believe me, if I had offered an opinion on this budget I would not have called it a nervous breakdown, I would have used much stronger language.

Forum List

Back