Obama's approval rating higher than Reagan or Clinton at same point

Nov 29, 2010
Obama's approval rating is higher than Reagan's or Clinton's at the same point in their first terms.

In a different thread, a very good poster, stated that Obama's approval rating is substantially lower than Reagan's or Clinton's at the beginning of his third year. That being the reason that he could not be expected to be successful in 2012. I'm not suggesting Obama will blowout his GOP challenger, similar to what Reagan did Mondale or Clinton did Dole, but the numbers are quite different than some people think.

From January 1982-January 1983 Reagan's average approval rating was 43%
From January 1983-January 1984 Reagan's average approval rating was 45%

This week in 1994, so November 28-29, Clinton's approval rating was 43%

Obama's is currently 47%...

Obama's approval rating is higher than Reagan's or Clinton's at the same point in their first terms.

In a different thread, a very good poster, stated that Obama's approval rating is substantially lower than Reagan's or Clinton's at the beginning of his third year. That being the reason that he could not be expected to be successful in 2012. I'm not suggesting Obama will blowout his GOP challenger, similar to what Reagan did Mondale or Clinton did Dole, but the numbers are quite different than some people think.

Welcome to the board.

Interesting post....

just wondering, I wasn't reading the papers back then, but did Reagan get the slobbering love from the MSM that this President did?

If not, do you think that could be a factor?

That might have had something to do with the fact that we were in the 16th month of a recession that started 6 months after Reagan took office.

Thanks for welcoming me.

I have to say I'm fascinated by the two posts so far. The conservative seems to have made a point that a conservative wouldn't normally make and the lefty a more conservative point. Glad to see there are open thinkers on this board...

It's a slam dunk when the left controlled media who pretty much got him elected is still in love with him.
What news person back in the day professed his near sexual experience for a a President like Chris Mathews did when he had this thrill running up and down his leg when Obama speaks!.....

Give me a break.

In a previous thread I was making the point that I think he wins re-election in 2012 and then a Republican wins in 2016. Various reasons, a main one being I think the GOP field for 2012 is dismal. The up and comers in the party almost certainly won't run this time.

The last two success stories in beating an incumbent were Reagan over Carter and Clinton over HW Bush. CLinton and Reagan were fantastic candidates and aided by third parties, in Clinton's case an actual third party in Perot. In Reagan's, Kennedy challenging Carter. On top of that, both had a bad last year in office. A lot has to go right for a challenger to beat an incumbent for President.

I just don't see Obama being that weak or any of the potential candidates on the Republican side being that strong.

Thanks for welcoming me.

I have to say I'm fascinated by the two posts so far. The conservative seems to have made a point that a conservative wouldn't normally make and the lefty a more conservative point. Glad to see there are open thinkers on this board...

No, more like i posted a rational theory and the rightwingers tried to play the liberal media victimology card.

Welcome to the board.

Interesting post....

just wondering, I wasn't reading the papers back then, but did Reagan get the slobbering love from the MSM that this President did?

Foxnews didn't exist back then, nor did rightwing talk radio to any extent. Obama is beating Reagan despite those propaganda machines working 24 - 7 against him.

Reagan: Annual Job Approval

avg 62
high 73
low 52

avg. 49
high 52
low 46
Avg. 53
High 63
low 42

avg. 57
High 59
low 54
ABCNEWS.com : Poll: Reagan's Presidential Ratings

obama doesn't look so good
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Last edited:
In a previous thread I was making the point that I think he wins re-election in 2012 and then a Republican wins in 2016. Various reasons, a main one being I think the GOP field for 2012 is dismal. The up and comers in the party almost certainly won't run this time.

The last two success stories in beating an incumbent were Reagan over Carter and Clinton over HW Bush. CLinton and Reagan were fantastic candidates and aided by third parties, in Clinton's case an actual third party in Perot. In Reagan's, Kennedy challenging Carter. On top of that, both had a bad last year in office. A lot has to go right for a challenger to beat an incumbent for President.

I just don't see Obama being that weak or any of the potential candidates on the Republican side being that strong.

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly think the American public is going to re-elect an idiot like Obama. ROFLMAO......:lol:

No, Obama is not going to win 49 states in 2012. In fact, there's no way he'll win as many as he did in 2008, unless he ends up against Palin. But, Kennedy barely beat Nixon, Bush barely beat Gore, winning is all that matters.

Carter and HW Bush were actually stronger at this point in their first terms than Obama and Reagan and Clinton were weaker. So, I suppose you can't glean a lot from that. I was refuting a point another poster made that Obama won't win a 2nd term like Reagan and Clinton did, in part because he has much lower approval ratings than they did at this point in his first term. That's simply false.

I'd still suggest it's extremely difficult to beat an incumbent for President. You have to catch an inside straight. Part of it is having a strong challenger. I don't see it amongst the GOP. Romney has potential, but I think he's too flawed to win in the end. The rest of them, I don't see. Christie and perhaps Kasich are strong, Rubio potentially long term. But, none of them are running. Palin, Pawlenty, Gingrich, Jindal, Barbour, give me a break. Thune, eh, doubt it.

Obama doesn't need to win over the Conservatives that hate him and would vote against him under any circumstances. He needs to win Independents, swing voters in swing, potentially tipping point states. You haters are irrelevant in that equation. Obama won about 45% of the Caucasian vote in 2008 and about 40% of the male Caucasian vote, even lower among Male WASPs, so the fact that you don't like him isn't really relevant to whether he'll win or not.

Thanks for welcoming me.

Give it some time before you come to that hasty conclusion.

Welcome to the board.

Interesting post....

Foxnews didn't exist back then, nor did rightwing talk radio to any extent. Obama is beating Reagan despite those propaganda machines working 24 - 7 against him.

Dan Rather, Katie Couric, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Edward R. Murrow, Ted Koppel, Andy Rooney, Leslie Stahl, George Stephanopoulos, Mike Wallace, Barbara Walters, Ed Bradley, Campbell Brown, Jack Cafferty, Walter Cronkite, Jim Lehrer, Roger Grimsby, Soledad O’Brien, Keith Olbermann, Cokie Roberts, Diane Sawyer, Bob Schieffer, Paula Zahn, Sam Donaldson, Brian Williams, Judy Woodruff, David Shuster, Bernard Shaw, Jessica Savitch, Harry Reasoner, Sally Quinn, Gwen Ifill, Douglas Kiker, Charles Kuralt, Roger Mudd, Robert MacNeil, Charles Osgood, Douglas Edwards, John Chancellor, Charles Gibson, Christiane Amanpour, Anderson Cooper, Ann Curry, Marvin Kalb, Bryant Gimbel, Andrea Mitchell, Jeanne Moos, Bill Schneider, Daniel Schoor, Richard Threlkeld, Jake Tapper, Ann Compton, Lester Holt, Michael Beschloss, Norah O’Donnell, Chris Matthews, Joy Behar, Jon Stewart, Ric Sanchez, Rachel Maddow, Bill Moyers, Fareed Zakaria, Oprah Winfrey, Arianna Huffington, Paul Krugman, Ed Schultz, Paul Begala, James Carville, Linda Douglas, Howie Kurtz, Phil Donohue, Tavis Smiley, Mark Shields, Bill Press, Larry O’Donnell, Joe Conason, Margaret Carlson, Bob Beckel, Larry King, Alan Colmes,

Forum List

Back