ObamaCare's Plans Are Worse

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
The news keeps getting worse all the time. Why did we let this happen ? Why did Dims do this to America ?

How the Affordable Care Act raises prices and limits medical choices.

Even as President Obama reluctantly granted Americans thrown off their health plans quasi-permission to possibly keep them, he called them "the folks who, over time, I think, are going to find that the marketplaces are better." He means the ObamaCare exchanges that are replacing the private insurance market, adding that "it's important that we don't pretend that somehow that's a place worth going back to.

Easy for him to say. The reason this furor will continue even if the website is fixed is that the public is learning that ObamaCare's insurance costs more in return for worse coverage.

Mr. Obama and his liberal allies call the old plans "substandard," but he doesn't mean from the perspective of the consumers who bought them. He means people were free to choose insurance that wasn't designed to serve his social equity and income redistribution goals. In his view, many people must pay first-class fares for coach seats so others can pay less and receive extra benefits.

Liberals justify these coercive cross-subsidies as necessary to finance coverage for the uninsured and those with pre-existing conditions. But government usually helps the less fortunate honestly by raising taxes to fund programs. In summer 2009, Senate Democrats put out such a bill, and the $1.6 trillion sticker shock led them to hide the transfers by forcing people to buy overpriced products.

This political mugging is especially unfair to the people whose plans on the current individual market are being taken away. The majority of these consumers are self-employed or small-business owners. They're middle class, rarely affluent. They took responsibility for their care without government aid, and unlike people in the job-based system, they paid with after-tax dollars.

Now they're being punished for the crime of not subsidizing ObamaCare, even though the individual market was never as dysfunctional or high cost as liberals claim. In 2012, average U.S. individual premiums were $190, ranging from a low of $123 in North Dakota to a high of $385 in Massachusetts. Average premiums for family plans fell that year by 0.5% to $412.

Those numbers come from the 13,000 different policies from 180 insurers sold on eHealthInsurance.com, the online shopping brokerage that works. (Technological wonders never cease.) Individuals can make the trade-offs between costs and benefits for themselves. This wide variety is proof that humans don't all want or need the same thing. If they did, there would be no need for a market and government could satisfy everybody.

That is precisely what the Obama health planners believe they can do. Regulators mandated a very rich level of "essential" health benefits that all plans in the individual market must cover, regardless of cost. This year eHealth EHTH +0.29% reported that its data show individual premiums must be 47% higher than the old average to fund the new categories in the individual market.

Meanwhile, ObamaCare's plans are limited to essentially four. Yes, four. The law converts insurance products on the ObamaCare exchanges into interchangeable commodities that finance the same standard benefit at the same average expense over four tiers known as bronze, silver, gold and platinum.

So, for example, a bronze plan covers 60% of health-care expenses and the beneficiary pays a lower premium to pick up the remaining 40% out of pocket. Platinum carries a higher premium for a 90%-10% split. But there can be little deviation from the formulas—that is, there is little room for innovation or policy choice—to suit customer preferences.

In any case all four tiers are scrap-metal grade, because the rules ObamaCare imposes to create a supposedly superior insurance product are resulting in an objectively inferior medical product. The new mandates and rules raise costs, so insurers must compensate by offering narrow and less costly networks of doctors, hospitals and other providers in their ObamaCare products. Insurers thus restrict care and patient choice of physicians in exchange for discounted reimbursement rates, much as Medicaid does.

Nearly half of the ObamaCare plans are tightly managed HMOs, according to a McKinsey & Co. analysis. In states like California, Missouri and New Hampshire, many networks are 40% or 45% the size of those offered for normal commercial coverage. Patients face the prospect of waiting months and driving miles to clinics and county hospitals.

y politically because ObamaCare's willful destruction of this alternative is the worst act of government mayhem since FDR's National Recovery Act. The Affordable Care Act's main achievement is turning out to be diminishing affordable care.

MORE:

Review & Outlook: ObamaCare's Plans Are Worse - WSJ.com

They are MUCH worse and much more expensive.

If you do not qualify for a subsidy - don't even bother to go too the obamacare plans - the other plans which can be bought on www.ehealthinsurance.com

What is so funny is that we have no way of comparing this train wreck to what we had before.

There are no metrics.

People keep saying "just wait until it's working".....

Hoping that by then everyone will forget how good they had it before.

It is unbelievable what a punch bowl full of turds we have on the yellow-left.

What is so funny is that we have no way of comparing this train wreck to what we had before.

There are no metrics.

People keep saying "just wait until it's working".....

Hoping that by then everyone will forget how good they had it before.

It is unbelievable what a punch bowl full of turds we have on the yellow-left.

you still can on an individual basis - if you go to the link I have provided and put the year 2013 - you can get the whole array of plans and coverage - for any person and any pocket.

It was AWESOME - cheap, affordable and covering what you REALLY need.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...edit=false&ajax=false&screenName=best-sellers

that is the link to 64 affordable plans in Fl for a fictional female in Alachua county for 2013

and this are the plans for 2014 ( still much better than through the exchange):

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...edit=false&ajax=false&screenName=best-sellers

and this one of the best plans I have seen on the general market ( does not even compare to what is porposed through the exchange, where you are ripped off with no coverage)
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/ifp/plan-details?planKey=3293:100027&productLine=IFP
or http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/ifp/plan-details?planKey=3293:100025&productLine=IFP

Last edited:
I have two children with plans that were fine.

Now, Obamacare has about tripled the costs.

Next year I'll be finding out if my employer is going to end our coverage, and force us on to the exchange. I am very satisfied with my plan, now I am left wondering what the future holds.

Thanks Dims.

We were looking forward to obtaining "affordable" health care. LOL what a joke. My husband was finally able to use the website to sign us up but the rates are outrageous. I don't know how anyone thinks people can afford these plans.

We were looking forward to obtaining "affordable" health care. LOL what a joke. My husband was finally able to use the website to sign us up but the rates are outrageous. I don't know how anyone thinks people can afford these plans.

And now we know this: 11/25/2013

It could take a year to secure the risk of "high exposures" of personal information on the federal Obamacare online exchange, a cybersecurity expert told CNBC on Monday.

"When you develop a website, you develop it with security in mind. And it doesn't appear to have happened this time," said David Kennedy, a so-called "white hat" hacker who tests online security by breaching websites. He testified on Capitol Hill about the flaws of HealthCare.gov last week.

"It's really hard to go back and fix the security around it because security wasn't built into it," said Kennedy, chief executive of TrustedSec. "We're talking multiple months to over a year to at least address some of the critical-to-high exposures on the website itself."

No security ever built into Obamacare site: Hacker

At least you are covered if he gets pregnant. :eusa_angel:

Or if he needs hormone therapy.

They are MUCH worse and much more expensive.

If you do not qualify for a subsidy - don't even bother to go too the obamacare plans - the other plans which can be bought on www.ehealthinsurance.com

BlueCross BlueShield of Nebraska

SelectBluePlus $4750 HDHP Bronze
Bronze
Compare

0% Coinsurance after Deductible
Find Doctors
$4,750
$359.70
Apply Details

Coventry Health Care of Nebraska, Inc.

Bronze Deductible Only HMO PD HSA Eligible...
Bronze
Compare

No charge after deductible
Find Doctors
$6,300
$366.48
Apply Details

SelectBluePlus $2750 HDHP Bronze
Bronze
Compare

40% Coinsurance after Deductible
Find Doctors
$2,750
$369.80
Apply Details

Bronze Deductible Only POS PD HSA Eligible...
Bronze
Compare

Find Doctors
$6,300
$374.20
Apply Details

Bronze Deductible Only HMO PD HSA Eligible...
Bronze
Compare

Find Doctors
$6,300
$386.34
Apply Details

Bronze $10 Copay HMO PD Methodist Health P...
Bronze
Compare

$10 Copay
Find Doctors
$5,600
$391.44
Apply Details

BlueEssentialsPlus $6325 HDHP Bronze
Bronze
Compare

0% Coinsurance after Deductible
Find Doctors
$6,325
$396.61
Apply Details

Bronze $10 Copay POS PD MIPPA
Bronze
Compare

$10 Copay
Find Doctors
$5,600
$399.66
Apply Details

Bronze $10 Copay HMO PD Alegent Creighton ...
Bronze
Compare

$10 Copay
Find Doctors
$5,600
$412.60
Apply Details

BlueEssentialsPlus $4750 HDHP Bronze
Bronze
Compare

10% Coinsurance after Deductible
Find Doctors
$4,750
o

From your link....all of these plans are offered on Exchange also.....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back