Obamacare's latest 'failure:' $1 trillion saved for Medicare

The same CBO that said it couldnt score Obamacare while it was being debated.............fine track record

The same CBO that said it couldnt score Obamacare while it was being debated.............fine track record

They pointed to the uncertainty associated with the obdurate rejection of common sense by a few Red States......Many of which have begun to come to their senses......

What reason do we have to believe BlueGin?

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2015

09/30/2008 10,024,724,896,912.49

09/30/2015 18,150,604,277,750.63

but this is math-economics, and if leftist understood economics they wouldn't be leftist.
Obviously Two Thumbs has stumbled into this thread on the way to some Wingnut Conspiracy thread.

There is no correlation between Obamacare and the rising debt.
:lmao::lol::rofl::lol::lmao:

uh, it adds to the debt, you claimed we were saving money, which is complete bullshit since the debt is ever rising.

don't vote, you don't understand basic math and will only vote for more harm.

Thank you President Obama (praise be unto Him!)

That horribly failed program, Obamacare, has done it again. In the next five years or so, it's going to save the federal government more than $1 trillion on Medicare over what the Congressional Budget Office projected when the law was enacted. The Commonwealth Fund highlights those savings, along with some other significant achievements of the law in one of its series of reports on Medicare at 50.

The ACA addresses gaps in Medicare preventive and prescription drug benefits. It initiates ambitious testing of new payment methods to improve the value of care received by beneficiaries and, indirectly, all Americans. And it substantially extends the solvency of the Medicare Health Insurance Trust Fund by slowing the growth of future Medicare outlays.
Here's the sexy way of saying that: 37 million Medicare enrollees have gotten free preventive care since 2013, including flu shots and cancer and chronic disease screenings; and 8 million beneficiaries have saved more than $11.5 billion since 2010 on prescription drugs. That's $11.5 billion in seniors and disabled people's pockets. That's a big deal. And the savings to the federal government? Just look:

Screen_Shot_2016-03-09_at_11.23.42_AM.png

One trillion dollars is a lot of money, and while it can't all be attributed to Obamacare (the recession was a factor, too) the law is saving money and more importantly, saving lives. The reforms the law is making to Medicare, Commonwealth says, "have the potential to reshape not just the Medicare program but the entire U.S. health care system."

I love it when the right complain about Obama spending too much on healthcare.

Why?

Because they don't give a damn about the corruption in the healthcare system that costs US taxpayers around 3% of GDP, but they do care when they have to pay more because of something that is designed to help poor people get healthcare.

They pointed to the uncertainty associated with the obdurate rejection of common sense by a few Red States......Many of which have begun to come to their senses......

What reason do we have to believe BlueGin?

Funny their projections lag .......so ........

I laud the fact that it is "saving" money.

But just like the expensive insurance people can't use......

You have to wonder what the real cost is....in IOW: what are the elderly not getting ?

Quality of care is not discussed in many of these articles......

You can save money by not paying your mortgage....but there are consequences.

That horribly failed program, Obamacare, has done it again. In the next five years or so, it's going to save the federal government more than $1 trillion on Medicare over what the Congressional Budget Office projected when the law was enacted. The Commonwealth Fund highlights those savings, along with some other significant achievements of the law in one of its series of reports on Medicare at 50.

The ACA addresses gaps in Medicare preventive and prescription drug benefits. It initiates ambitious testing of new payment methods to improve the value of care received by beneficiaries and, indirectly, all Americans. And it substantially extends the solvency of the Medicare Health Insurance Trust Fund by slowing the growth of future Medicare outlays.
Here's the sexy way of saying that: 37 million Medicare enrollees have gotten free preventive care since 2013, including flu shots and cancer and chronic disease screenings; and 8 million beneficiaries have saved more than $11.5 billion since 2010 on prescription drugs. That's $11.5 billion in seniors and disabled people's pockets. That's a big deal. And the savings to the federal government? Just look:

One trillion dollars is a lot of money, and while it can't all be attributed to Obamacare (the recession was a factor, too) the law is saving money and more importantly, saving lives. The reforms the law is making to Medicare, Commonwealth says, "have the potential to reshape not just the Medicare program but the entire U.S. health care system."

Why?

Because they don't give a damn about the corruption in the healthcare system that costs US taxpayers around 3% of GDP, but they do care when they have to pay more because of something that is designed to help poor people get healthcare.

I keep asking....

We were spending 17% of GDP on healthcare before Obamacare.

Six years later and we are spending......17% of GDP.

Where are all those savings and cost cutting ?

Why?

I keep asking....

I thought the right were saying Obama was spending MORE. Now you're saying it's not more.

Why?

I keep asking....

I thought the right were saying Obama was spending MORE. Now you're saying it's not more.

I am not the right, so I don't know who you are talking about.

I am saying what I am reading.

One of the justifications for this disaster (and you don't have to be a rightwinger to see it as a disaster), is this high level of spending.

I agree that it seems way to much.

It has not come down.

What did Obamacare not do ?

Talk about selective use of statistics. The ACA by law stripped funding from Medicare to fund the ObamaCare deficit. Gutting Medicare Advantage and cutting fees for doctors and hospitals that treat the elderly just pushes the costs onto Seniors and lowers supply. We should expect to see increasing shortages of care for the elderly. But that is likely the plan...so much better to purge the population of non-productive assets.

For a more complete picture of the impact of the ACA:

The True Costs of Obamacare

Courtesy of the Affordable Care Act, public spending is outpacing private spending. For 2015, the Congressional Budget Office reports that the federal government spent a total of $936 billion on health programs (for example, Medicaid, Medicare, and the Affordable Care Act), a 13 percent increase over the 2014 level.

For 2015, the Congressional Budget Office reports that Medicare spending increased almost 7 percent, the fastest rate of growth since 2007; and, over the period 2013 to 2015. They also report that Medicaid spending alone jumped by 32 percent....

Obamacare Was Going to Lower Health Care Costs. What Actually Happened.

All of these numbers are staggering.

Per capita healthcare costs — international comparison

This says that the average cost of health care is 8,700 per person.

That means a family of five, on average will spend 43,000 per year on health care.

Which is amazing to me since I know lots of big families that go year to year with little or no need. That means there are some people running up some HUGE medical bills.

We know that end-of-life care is 30% of our total spending. When you think of the number of elderly we don't have...that must be a large amount on a per person basis.

CATO's call for the end of insurance the use of unlimited HSA's starts to make all the more sense.

It's starting to feel, to me, like we need better numbers on targeted areas.

43,000 per year, on average, for a family of five. Something does not add up.

All of these numbers are staggering.

Per capita healthcare costs — international comparison

This says that the average cost of health care is 8,700 per person.

That means a family of five, on average will spend 43,000 per year on health care.

Which is amazing to me since I know lots of big families that go year to year with little or no need. That means there are some people running up some HUGE medical bills.

We know that end-of-life care is 30% of our total spending. When you think of the number of elderly we don't have...that must be a large amount on a per person basis.

CATO's call for the end of insurance the use of unlimited HSA's starts to make all the more sense.

It's starting to feel, to me, like we need better numbers on targeted areas.

43,000 per year, on average, for a family of five. Something does not add up.

It's not difficult to figure out what is driving up costs: regulatory capture and restricted supply via professional licensing.

Lawyers, doctors and dentists are protected from competition and feed from the health care trough.

For lawyers, doctors, and dentists— three of the most over-represented occupations in the top 1 percent—state-level lobbying from professional associations has blocked efforts to expand the supply of qualified workers who could do many of the “professional” job tasks for less pay. Here are three illustrations:

1. The most common legal functions—including document preparation—could be performed by licensed legal technicians rather than lawyers, as the Washington State Supreme Court decided in 2012. These workers could perform most lawyer-like tasks for roughly half the cost. Unsurprisingly, legal groups opposed it. A few brave souls from the Washington State Bar Association board resigned in protest, and issued this statement: “The Washington State Bar Association has a long record of opposing efforts that threaten to undermine its monopoly on the delivery of legal services.” Proportion of lawyers in the top 1 percent? 15 percent.
  2. Many states allow nurse practitioners to independently provide general and family medical services, freeing up physicians to provide more specialized services. But most larger states do not. Again, typical nurse practitioner salaries are roughly half those of general practitioners with an MD. But, of course, physician lobbies stridently oppose the idea. Proportion of physicians and surgeons in the top 1 percent? 31 percent.
  3. Dental hygienists can perform many of the functions of more far expensive dentists, but regulations vary by state and in all but a few states, it is not possible for hygienists to own and operate their own practice. My analysis shows that just 2 percent of hygienists are self-employed compared to 63 percent of dentists. Proportion of dentists in the top 1 percent? 21 percent.
Recently, the head of the Federal Trade Commission testified before the U.S. Senate on how state occupational licenses, such as these, often hinder competition and harm consumers, though her agency has very little authority to intervene....

Make elites compete: Why the 1% earn so much and what to do about it

boedicca

I agree with your point.

However, I am still staggered by those numbers.

Someone is spending a lot of money, and I mean a LOT of money on health care.

boedicca

I agree with your point.

However, I am still staggered by those numbers.

Someone is spending a lot of money, and I mean a LOT of money on health care.

Yes, someone is spending a lot of money. That is what happens in Centrally Planned programs. The parasites find a new host off of which to feed. The grow in spending is gobbled up by them.

Why?

I keep asking....

How much higher would GDP be now without ACA?

Forum List

Back