Obama won BECAUSE of his race

Any person with his qualifications - or lack there of -that was a male white person would be laughed off the stage

Obama won because of 8 years of GWB.

That is why a Democrat won the general. That doesn't explain how a man with as thin a resume as Obama's won the Democratic nomination.

True no more than it is expalined how Romney wins the Republican nod..

No choice at all this year.

So Mitt got buy on his charm and personality?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
On his bucks? Of course. He got a leg up in part on his father's name and money. Along the way he held executive positions in both private sector and government and saved a disastrous Olympics. He is a successful man with proven executive experience regardless of how he started out.
Now, after 3 1/2 years, barack obama has the same length of public sector experience, but that experience is in large part, as a failure.
4 years ago, you bought the hopey changey bullshit but now, America has his record right there in the open. He should be very afraid. Unlike his friends, scholarly papers, theses , transcripts etc. his record for the last 3 and 1/2 years is not a secret.

President Obama has 16 years of public sector experience
Mitt Romney failed in his four years

yeah and Obama has failed in his 4 years. 16 years? Oh come on, he had zero experience (2 kinda years in the senate) the rest was crap. I'll take and previous president except maybe Carter and Harding over Obama.

Yea ...a 34% approval rating will convince you that you need another job

Have you ever even visited Massachusetts? You are talking out your ass. His approval rating was low because everyone knew he was looking for the next step and had no intention of running again.

Sure it was...

That's why Romney cannot even win his own state

Yes, it was. And you are talking about a Republican winning Massachusetts? Are you even from the United States?

HilaRY was a much better candidate . So I agree that if Obama was not black he would not have got the nomination , Hilary would have. I for one would have preferred Hilary over Obama any day.

Who are you trying to kid? Any Democrat president would be pounded with Republican conspiracy nutjobs and sore losers willing to sink the country out of pure spite. I don't care if Ronald Reagan's corpse walked the earth and switched to the Democrat party. The Wingnut party would still foam at the mouth and call him a commie. You guys are fucking insane.

Own it

What has the failed governor of Massachusetts accomplished?

Want to start with Romneycare?

Failed is your opinion. He was governor of Massachusetts. That gave him more experience than the less-than-one-term Senator without even going into his history of solving economic and managerial problems.

Romney would have known better than to throw water onto the economic recovery by taking his eye off the ball and wasting a year and a half inventing new regulations to bog down the country with.

Romney was such a failure as Governor that he was never elected to another Office

Obamas service as Senator was rewarded with the Presidency

Romney has no experience co parable to Obamas

So where did you come up with the nick "rightwinger"?

More accurately he won because more white people were afraid they would be considered racist if they didn't vote for him!
In the voting booth it came down to a majority of white voters IGNORANT of Obama's lack of experience, IGNORANT of his agenda (destroy american businesses.. why else has he done via Executive orders, EPA,etc. actions THAT have destroyed jobs??) didn't want to feel guilt that they didn't vote for a black man because they IGNORANTLY equated competency with skin color!

Of course these SAME white voters when asked would deny that because THEY are totally ignorant that they voted out of fear they might be "racist" which in FACT they WERE as they considered skin color first unlike King who said.
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
I have a dream that my... at BrainyQuote

I disagree with that...while white guilt was his real running mate; Obama won because he flat out had better ideas than McCain; Bush fatigue, and was frankly more likable than Senator McCain.

More accurately he won because more white people were afraid they would be considered racist if they didn't vote for him!
In the voting booth it came down to a majority of white voters IGNORANT of Obama's lack of experience, IGNORANT of his agenda (destroy american businesses.. why else has he done via Executive orders, EPA,etc. actions THAT have destroyed jobs??) didn't want to feel guilt that they didn't vote for a black man because they IGNORANTLY equated competency with skin color!

Of course these SAME white voters when asked would deny that because THEY are totally ignorant that they voted out of fear they might be "racist" which in FACT they WERE as they considered skin color first unlike King who said.
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I disagree with that...while white guilt was his real running mate; Obama won because he flat out had better ideas than McCain; Bush fatigue, and was frankly more likable than Senator McCain.

Don't forget a certain running mate, too.

If you look at the way the people were dumping the GOP from congress....I think Joe Biden could have been elected.

Perish the thought.

I concede that Obama had the clear advantage once he went head to head with McCain.

However I'll ask you the same question I pose to others. Why did Obama get as far as the general? If he were white, with the same ideas and the same resume (except of course his resume wouldn't say "first African American president of the Harvard Law Review"), would he have gotten the funding and encouragement to enter the primaries in 2007? Or would he, if he had even thought of running for president, have been told (or simply known) that he needed to get more experience before he stepped up onto that stage?

I concede that Obama had the clear advantage once he went head to head with McCain.

However I'll ask you the same question I pose to others. Why did Obama get as far as the general? If he were white, with the same ideas and the same resume (except of course his resume wouldn't say "first African American president of the Harvard Law Review"), would he have gotten the funding and encouragement to enter the primaries in 2007? Or would he, if he had even thought of running for president, have been told (or simply known) that he needed to get more experience before he stepped up onto that stage?

He got as far as the general because he was the better candidate.

I'm not sure and since it was 2008 we'll never know.

There were some mechanical problems with Senator Clinton's campaign. She had spent too much on her re-election to the Senate spending $36 million dollars to hold on to a seat she was all but assured she would be able to hold on to. Mark Penn, her campaign manager wanted to leave no doubt. And it left less money than it should have for the 2008 run.

Her dawdling on whether to run or not did not help matters much either (Obama by the way, said he wasn't going to run, lied, and became President).

And there is the likability factor that Senator Clinton has had; mostly with women. Couple that with some serious gaffes on her part; some real whoppers about landing in a war zone and having to dodge bullets (her exact phrase escapes me at this time) and Obama stealing her "novelty" and you may or may not be looking at a serial loser.

Would he have gotten the same encouragement? I think yes. Senator Clinton isn't that popular in Democratic circles.

Would he have gotten the same funding if he were "an average white" 1st term Senator as opposed to being "an average black" 1st term Senator? No way.

Would he have gotten the same treatment from the press. No way.

That being said, he seized the opportunity when nobody else wanted a piece of Clinton except for John Edwards who was running more or less to get away from his wife.

Last edited:

What made him the better candidate? It was the historicity of his run, which was comparable to the historicity of Hillary's, and didn't carry the baggage of being a third Clinton term.

If Obama had not been black, then the historical element would have been gone. Nothing about him other than his color qualified him to go up against Hillary's and Edwards' networks of donors. He simply wasn't ready as measured in terms of political experience. The hope and optimism and starry-eye wonder he was able to generate in crowds came from what he represented in the context of America's racial history, not from proven skills related to challenges a president is predicted to face.

Last edited:

What made him the better candidate? It was the historicity of his run, which was comparable to the historicity of Hillary's, and didn't carry the baggage of being a third Clinton term.

If Obama had not been black, then the historical element would have been gone. Nothing about him other than his color qualified him to go up against Hillary's and Edward's network of donors. He simply wasn't ready as measured in terms of political experience.

I don't know where you are on 3rd parties but lets look at in the context of the 3rd party question:

You vote for one or the other because you vote for the lesser of two evils right? Well, most people do anyway....

Put a 3rd choice into the mix and they get attention. The reason 3rd parties don't get anywhere in the US is because people don't want to waste their votes on illegitimate candidates .

Obama was basically the 3rd party

After Iowa was won by Senator Obama the question of legitimacy was answered. Again, Senator Clinton didn't help herself any by running the "inevitability" offense after losing the first caucus. Read Game Change you'll see firsthand how dysfunctional her campaign was.

I agree that Obama got a lot of help from his race and the White Guilt that many Americans had. But that wasn't the only thing he had going for him; not by a long shot.

Thanks for the discussion. I'm going to have to come back and look at it again tomorrow. I just hit the wall. Gotta crash now. zzz :)

If Obama had not been black, then the historical element would have been gone. Nothing about him other than his color qualified him to go up against Hillary's and Edward's network of donors. He simply wasn't ready as measured in terms of political experience.

I don't know where you are on 3rd parties but lets look at in the context of the 3rd party question:

You vote for one or the other because you vote for the lesser of two evils right? Well, most people do anyway....

Put a 3rd choice into the mix and they get attention. The reason 3rd parties don't get anywhere in the US is because people don't want to waste their votes on illegitimate candidates .

Obama was basically the 3rd party

After Iowa was won by Senator Obama the question of legitimacy was answered. Again, Senator Clinton didn't help herself any by running the "inevitability" offense after losing the first caucus. Read Game Change you'll see firsthand how dysfunctional her campaign was.

I agree that Obama got a lot of help from his race and the White Guilt that many Americans had. But that wasn't the only thing he had going for him; not by a long shot.

I think I see what you're getting at.

Now zzzzzzz

If Obama had not been black, then the historical element would have been gone. Nothing about him other than his color qualified him to go up against Hillary's and Edwards' networks of donors. He simply wasn't ready as measured in terms of political experience. The hope and optimism and starry-eye wonder he was able to generate in crowds came from what he represented in the context of America's racial history, not from proven skills related to challenges a president is predicted to face.

George Bush had the "proven skills related to challenges a president is predicted to face", how'd he work out?

Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Carol Mosley Braun and Al Sharpton all ran for president, yet they didn't win the nomination. Why not?

Obama was the better candidate, with the far superior organization in both the general and the primaries. You want to say in was due to race, but if Santorum was a better candidate with a better organization he would have beat Romney.

Don't discount the fact that McCain ran one of the worst campaigns ever.

Forum List

Back