Obama vs GOP: Obama Winning?

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Obama squeezes Republicans in year-end showdown

After a miserable year being thwarted by his foes on Capitol Hill, Obama turned the tables when the Republican-led House blocked a bipartisan Senate compromise to extend a middle class payroll tax holiday for two months.

House Republicans appeared stuck in a corner, partly of their own making, facing criticism from fellow party members in the Senate as polls suggest the showdown may be boosting Obama's political fortunes.

House Republicans appear to face the unpalatable political prospect of climbing down and accepting the Senate compromise or being blamed by Obama for taxes going up on 160 million Americans next year.

There were also signs that some Republicans believe their side may have sabotaged their own case in the run-up to Christmas with the showdown.

The months-long showdown with Republicans who have blocked most of Obama's job-creating agenda also appeared to benefit the president's standing.

In a new CNN poll, Obama's approval rating jumped five percentage points over the last month, to 49 percent, nearly the 50 percent barrier crucial to presidents as they approach reelection.

Obama squeezes Republicans in year-end showdown - Yahoo! News

Keep it up GOP!! You're your own worst enemy and it's only assuring Obama's re-election.

After a miserable year being thwarted by his foes on Capitol Hill, Obama turned the tables when the Republican-led House blocked a bipartisan Senate compromise to extend a middle class payroll tax holiday for two months.

House Republicans appeared stuck in a corner, partly of their own making, facing criticism from fellow party members in the Senate as polls suggest the showdown may be boosting Obama's political fortunes.

There were also signs that some Republicans believe their side may have sabotaged their own case in the run-up to Christmas with the showdown.

The months-long showdown with Republicans who have blocked most of Obama's job-creating agenda also appeared to benefit the president's standing.

In a new CNN poll, Obama's approval rating jumped five percentage points over the last month, to 49 percent, nearly the 50 percent barrier crucial to presidents as they approach reelection.

Keep it up GOP!! You're your own worst enemy and it's only assuring Obama's re-election.

How did he double down? I think you mean moved the goal posts after negotiations started again.

The house gave him what he wanted. Whats the problem, do democrats insist of completely ruining SS?

84% full employment, one downgrade already under his belt, deficits bigger than any Reagan budget -- and he says he needs one more term to "Finish the job"

How did he double down? I think you mean moved the goal posts after negotiations started again.

The house gave him what he wanted. Whats the problem, do democrats insist of completely ruining SS?

Really? I guess I missed the part about the bill getting to his desk. :eusa_hand:

Fact is, Congress hasn't given him shit to sign. Wait until they present an actual Bill ready for signature then you can rant.

84% full employment, one downgrade already under his belt, deficits bigger than any Reagan budget -- and he says he needs one more term to "Finish the job"

I can see where it would take more than 4 years to fix 8 years of totally fucked up policies.

Wow, this is such a UNBIASED article by Yahoo news.

Do we have any news outlet today that isn't the Democrat party news?

Last edited:
Yes, President Obama is winning this particular debate. The GOP is continually doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what the American people want which is why THEIR approval rating is almost in single digits and he's still riding high in comparison.

Really? I guess I missed the part about the bill getting to his desk. :eusa_hand:

Fact is, Congress hasn't given him shit to sign. Wait until they present an actual Bill ready for signature then you can rant.

LOL No the goal posts were moved, The GOP gave him what he asked for, and suddenly its not good enough.

How fucking naive are you?

With an approval rating in the single digits the congress continues to cut their own throats. I didn't think I would be able to say this six months ago but Obama might have coat tails. The Pubs may lose their majority in the house.

Yeah sure the American people want the Democrats to screw around with SS FOR a two month extension..

cracks me up...

you are pathetically slow, you know?

Obama wanted the payroll tax cut extended for a year... the Senate gave 2 months... the House wants to give the President the year he asked for... and you're whining because the House is obstructing the President?

Please.

:eusa_clap:
Really? I guess I missed the part about the bill getting to his desk.

Obama wanted the payroll tax cut extended for a year... the Senate gave 2 months... the House wants to give the President the year he asked for... and you're whining because the House is obstructing the President?

Please.

Nope. It looks like the GOP is obstructing itself while try to pull the wool over the voters eyes. And according to polls it looks like the voters aren't being fooled. :eusa_clap:

:eusa_clap:
Really? I guess I missed the part about the bill getting to his desk.

Please.

Nope. It looks like the GOP is obstructing itself while try to pull the wool over the voters eyes. And according to polls it looks like the voters aren't being fooled. :eusa_clap:

I was right. You really are pathetically slow. Do you ride to work on a little bus?

Yeah sure the American people want the Democrats to screw around with SS FOR a two month extension..

cracks me up...

Yeah, it looks like they actually do.

You lefties DON'T CARE what games your party will play. As long as it makes them look like they are winning. it says more about you all than anybody else.
And this article by Yahoo news might as well been a campaign letter sent out by the DNC it was so full of bias. but that won't stop you from posting it either.

Last edited:

cracks me up...

Yeah, it looks like they actually do.

It doesn't take much for a Republican to get upset about social security. They screamed to high heaven when FDR signed it into law in 1935. They have fought it tooth and toenail ever since. Why in hell are they so upset about a little maneuvering with the totals now....it's still the only program in DC which pays it's own way.

The defense budget is nearly a trillion dollars a year and the interest on the national debt which Reagan and the Bushes borrowed to fund low taxes for the wealthy and corporations is about half a trillion each year. Why in the name of goodness are they so upset about what used to be the middle class getting a few billion to tide them over.

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it" Barack "Social Security Really is Bankrupt" Obama, the Downgraded and Not so Shovel Ready President

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it" Barack "Social Security Really is Bankrupt" Obama, the Downgraded and Not so Shovel Ready President

LOL............I know what you did:

It doesn't take much for a Republican to get upset about social security. They screamed to high heaven when FDR signed it into law in 1935. They have fought it tooth and toenail ever since. Why in hell are they so upset about a little maneuvering with the totals now....it's still the only program in DC which pays it's own way.

The defense budget is nearly a trillion dollars a year and the interest on the national debt which Reagan and the Bushes borrowed to fund low taxes for the wealthy and corporations is about half a trillion each year. Why in the name of goodness are they so upset about what used to be the middle class getting a few billion to tide them over.

SocSecurity is totally broke, you could have Jon Corzine run it and it would only improve

SocSecurity is totally broke, you could have Jon Corzine run it and it would only improve

That's a goddam Republican lie. The government has borrowed $2.5 trillion from the social security trust and unless they plan on fucking the people out of it the fund is solvent until 2040.

Forum List

Back