VIP Member
Aug 30, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Bill Clinton enacted :

1. Capital Gains Tax Cut
2. Welfare Reform
3. NAFTA

all of which Obama wants to go against

anyone else looked at the differences between Obama and Bill Clinton?

Bill Clinton enacted :

1. Capital Gains Tax Cut
2. Welfare Reform
3. NAFTA

How is Obama against the welfare reforms enacted by Clinton?
Everyone should be in favor of modifying the problematic aspects of NAFTA. It's turned out to be really awful for the working class...
You sure about the capital gains tax cut? or just the deepened cuts that Bush stupidly did?

How is Obama against the welfare reforms enacted by Clinton?
Everyone should be in favor of modifying the problematic aspects of NAFTA. It's turned out to be really awful for the working class...
You sure about the capital gains tax cut? or just the deepened cuts that Bush stupidly did?

NAFTA's been great for farmers, ag exports to Mex and Canada have more than doubled since its enactment. Last I checked, farmers were workers too.

Clinton cut capital gains in 1997 as part of the OBRA, it was one reason for the 97-99 stock market boom.

Obama is not in favor of any cuts in social welfare, unlike Clinton, and has close ties to ACORN, a community org. group which helped pressure Fannie and Freddie into bad loans to unworthy borrowers.

NAFTA's been great for farmers, ag exports to Mex and Canada have more than doubled since its enactment. Last I checked, farmers were workers too.

Clinton cut capital gains in 1997 as part of the OBRA, it was one reason for the 97-99 stock market boom.

Obama is not in favor of any cuts in social welfare, unlike Clinton, and has close ties to ACORN, a community org. group which helped pressure Fannie and Freddie into bad loans to unworthy borrowers.
Can you link us to anything more specific? For instance, is Obama wanting to get rid of Bush's capital gains tax break or Clinton's?

And you said he wants to do away with Clinton's welfare reform. How so?

Can you link us to anything more specific? For instance, is Obama wanting to get rid of Bush's capital gains tax break or Clinton's?

And you said he wants to do away with Clinton's welfare reform. How so?

Obama publicly stated he wants to lift capital gains from 15% to 28%, google around it's all over the place, his recently published tax plan though says to just 20%

he doesn't want to do away with welfare reform, but replace some of it with tax credits and additional payments from the fed gov't, google his tax plan

one other difference between the two is that Clinton broke his promise on a middle class tax cut, which wound up being good for the deficit

interestingly, capital gains tax revenue increased after the cut, while income tax revenue also increased after his tax increases, basically he proved both liberal and conservative theories right and wrong simultaneously

either way, I'm having a hard time seeing Obama rekindling Clinton's prosperity when many of his policies are the exact opposite of what Clinton's were

Obama publicly stated he wants to lift capital gains from 15% to 28%, google around it's all over the place, his recently published tax plan though says to just 20%

he doesn't want to do away with welfare reform, but replace some of it with tax credits and additional payments from the fed gov't, google his tax plan

one other difference between the two is that Clinton broke his promise on a middle class tax cut, which wound up being good for the deficit

interestingly, capital gains tax revenue increased after the cut, while income tax revenue also increased after his tax increases, basically he proved both liberal and conservative theories right and wrong simultaneously

either way, I'm having a hard time seeing Obama rekindling Clinton's prosperity when many of his policies are the exact opposite of what Clinton's were
If his tax plan says 20%, then that's the same as Clinton's at the end of his reign. It was 28% for most of his reign. Methinks you are being disingenuous.

You said Obama wanted to go against Clinton's welfare reform, now you say he doesn't.

:doubt:

in the first quarter this year, we exported 105 billion cubic feet of natural gas to Mexico, most ever, in 1993, before NAFTA, we exported 7 billion cubic feet all year

If his tax plan says 20%, then that's the same as Clinton's at the end of his reign. It was 28% for most of his reign. Methinks you are being disingenuous.

You said Obama wanted to go against Clinton's welfare reform, now you say he doesn't.

capital gains is 15% now, increasing it is very risky in this economy, Reagan increased it in 86 and the market crashed in 87

O can't get a number straight because he's been wavering on exactly how high to raise it

Ben Smith's Blog - Politico.com

Obama wants to undo some of welfare reform through the tax code. You should learn more about his tax plan if he's your guy.

Bill Clinton enacted :

1. Capital Gains Tax Cut
2. Welfare Reform
3. NAFTA

Welfare reform in the 90's might be too aggressive in the Bush Recession, don't you think?

Clinton also de-regulated the media so the rich and powerful corporations could take over every radio/tv news station. Funny thing is, this is what hurt Hillary when she was running for president.

NAFTA needs to be fixed. The GOP tweeked it between 2000-06 so there are zero protections for American workers. Every other country that trades internationally protects certain industries that are vital to their economy. Clearly, we aren't doing enough of that.

Hell, they even tried to take a contract away from BOEING and give it to Airbus

Northrop Grumman gets $40B deal to replace Air Force tankers

It was ok to do that to the auto companies, but when it was DEFENSE!!! Oh my!!!

And the GOP told us we can't do anything about auto manufacturers going to China, Mexico and Canada.

The Pentagon will reopen the bidding for a multibillion-dollar contract for midair refueling tankers that had been awarded to a consortium that included the largest European aerospace company, the U.S. defense secretary, Robert Gates, has said.

The decision, announced Wednesday, comes in the wake of a report by the Government Accountability Office that found flaws in the process conducted by the air force, which awarded the contract to a partnership of Northrop Grumman and the European parent of Airbus over a competing bid by Boeing, which filed a protest.

Ah, how convienenet. Flaws in the contract.

Maybe they should look for some flaws with NAFTA?

and how many of our jobs have been exported because of NAFTA?

please, let's discuss this at an intelligent level, I've provided a lot of detail here, and there's not much added to the conversation if you're just going to reincarnate the Edwards' campaign talking points instead of adding some of your own thoughts

as it stands, we export over $200 billion of goods, farm products, and energy products to Mexico, which makes about 5 million current U.S. jobs directly tied to trade with Mexico

Clinton also de-regulated the media so the rich and powerful corporations

sorry, not buying this conspiracy theory

have you seen the stock prices or profits of Washington Post, News Corp, or Time Warner lately? they're becoming less rich and less powerful as they get crushed by indie bloggers and high-income professionals getting less news from TV and print

regarding NAFTA, we live in a world economy, just as there's not much need for typewriter repairmen anymore, taxpayers and consumers shouldn't have to subsidize dying industries in order to protect outdated jobs

please, let's discuss this at an intelligent level, I've provided a lot of detail here, and there's not much added to the conversation if you're just going to reincarnate the Edwards' campaign talking points instead of adding some of your own thoughts

as it stands, we export over $200 billion of goods, farm products, and energy products to Mexico, which makes about 5 million current U.S. jobs directly tied to trade with Mexico

I'm glad you're so specific about our numbers vis a vis Mexico. Now, try extrapolating out to our balancee of trade. Can you ignore the trade deficit?

Some goods sold to Mexico is a positive thing. Loss of jobs, outsourcing of skilled labor.. those aren't.

But thanks for the John Edwards thing... cause that's where I was sooooo going with what I said. :eusa_hand:

BTW, did you know Mexico is the 10th largest holder of U.S. debt? Since we're talking Mexico and all...

Bill Clinton enacted :

1. Capital Gains Tax Cut
2. Welfare Reform
3. NAFTA

I realize many of you right wingers won't believe this because you think liberals are marching in lockstep for the Democratic party but I bitched and bitched and bitched about these Clinton policies.

I called Clinton a Republican-lite because of them.

Which, incidently, he was.

Forum List

Back